U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 PM

603 posts, read 1,258,281 times
Default Credit Unions

I for one have had it with the big banks! I'm closing my accounts with them and am looking for a decent credit union....Any suggestions? I refuse to give the big banks anymore of my business....they are abandoning the American people...taking taxpayer money and in return....laying off 1000's......Does anyone bank with a credit union or use one of the smaller banks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 07:08 PM

21,687 posts, read 37,059,566 times
I use state employees credit union but you have to work for the state or a family member who does to sign you up. The interest rates are higher on savings and checking and lower on loans and insurance.

I can use any cash point atm with no fees not that I do much use out of them since I get cash back at stores.
Draw back is their online website is kind of dated. It not as real time like they are with BofA

Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 PM

14,636 posts, read 12,694,228 times
Here is a list but I am not sure of the membership requirements

Credit Unions in Charlotte, North Carolina | Credit Unions Online (1 - 10)

I have heard one advertised on the radio that just requires you to be a resident or worker of Mecklenburg County. Or something like that.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,369,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
I for one have had it with the big banks! I'm closing my accounts with them and am looking for a decent credit union....Any suggestions? I refuse to give the big banks anymore of my business....they are abandoning the American people...taking taxpayer money and in return....laying off 1000's......Does anyone bank with a credit union or use one of the smaller banks?
I'm a member of Truliant CU and have not had any issues or concerns. The only issue with them is that there are few branches around. I only use them for an account that I DD into and am not tempted to pull money from, since the branch is drive away from where I live.

I also just started banking with BB&T. They have come through this mess pretty well and take a very conservative approach to their lending practices. They seemed to really appreciate my business and have been extremely helpful getting things opened up and running. Changing banks is total pain.

Like you, I'm sick of them all and had 3 lousy service issues from my current bank and decided they could just KMA. Did some research and came up with BB&T. So far so good, but I won't hesitate to pull the plug on them if need be.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:44 PM

27,069 posts, read 19,106,188 times
Truliant Truliant Federal Credit Union

Just make sure there is one close to you.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 AM

7,042 posts, read 8,287,485 times
My dealings with Truliant were very frustrating. I am used to using another credit union in CA (Honda FCU; my son used to work for Honda) where you can do everything online, never have to go to the building itself (good thing, I have never been there!) and everything is very simple. At Truliant, they make you actually go there, (to open or close accounts) then, they are understaffed, so, the waits are very long. They make things very difficult. They are supposed to be a member of my original credit union's co-op, but, they act like you are a criminal or something. You cannot use the ATM to make deposits, you have to go INTO the building and wait...then, they put a hold on your deposit!! My credit union in CA has NEVER put a hold on my deposit. When I asked them about it, they said that the deposits were subject to the credit union's rules that was actually accepting the deposit. I was so frustrated that I wrote them a letter but it did nothing. I would not recommend them at all.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 AM

4,227 posts, read 3,750,534 times
I am discusted with the area credit unions. I am a highly decorated field grade officer and Vietnam vet (not bragging, just making a point) with 23 years active service and a certified teacher with 14 years in the field (although I took the year off to relocate to the area). Unless you are military active duty or presently work for the government, good luck. I can't believe that my years of federal service mean nothing. Guess I am stuck with Bank of America and my credit union in Florida that appreciates me.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 AM

27,069 posts, read 19,106,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
My dealings with Truliant were very frustrating. I am used to using another credit union in CA (Honda FCU; my son used to work for Honda) where you can do everything online, never have to go to the building itself (good thing, I have never been there!) and everything is very simple. At Truliant, they make you actually go there, (to open or close accounts) then, they are understaffed, so, the waits are very long. They make things very difficult. They are supposed to be a member of my original credit union's co-op, but, they act like you are a criminal or something. You cannot use the ATM to make deposits, you have to go INTO the building and wait...then, they put a hold on your deposit!! My credit union in CA has NEVER put a hold on my deposit. When I asked them about it, they said that the deposits were subject to the credit union's rules that was actually accepting the deposit. I was so frustrated that I wrote them a letter but it did nothing. I would not recommend them at all.
With all due respect a several of those things are not so today. I can do everything I need to my accounts online with the above link. You can use the ATM to make deposits but you need to use the "other transaction" button to switch over to deposit. They put a hold on your deposit if it's not during normal hours or you don't have enough money to cover the check if it bounces. Although opening the account in person sounds right. I don't know of any that will let you open an account without being there but I have been with Truliant for 10 years now.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:59 AM

3,186 posts, read 5,700,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRKLYN2CLT View Post
See this thread from awhile back.

Credit Unions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte