U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,511,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhen View Post
The vibe is not as open as Atlanta, IMO.
true but charlotte and Atlanta are no where near each other in size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,714,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The so-called Christian groups try that here when the Mormons have their semi-annual conferences. Makes me, non-Mormon, more inclined to not join them. An effective strategy is for the Mormons to have some loud-voiced men and women singing hymns across the street to drown out the haters.
gay restaurants:
......................Interesting bar is
Welcome to 300 East[/quote]
Ohhh, I loved 300 East - excellent restaurent.[/quote]

I felt the same when I would see these idiots on the streets in Florida yelling their anti-abortion retoric. I remember some young boy on the sidewalk next to my car yelling how sinful abortions are and that women that worked are going to hell . I rolled down my window and told him he needs to find a girlfriend. But you know what, we live in a free country. As long as there is no violence, people have a right to protest. Gays and Mormans are not exceptions. After living in London for many years, I got used to continuous protests, demonstrations, and anarcists movements about everything. Better to protest than participate in terrorism. Using the term "hate group" for hecklers is a bit strong. I would consider these hecklers as fanatics gone arwy. Or, if you are looking for a remedy for the Mormans, they could reroute protestors through the plains into hostile indian territory so they will be slaughtered as they did to pioneers in earlier times. LOL.

Last edited by vindaloo; 02-10-2009 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhen View Post
The vibe is not as open as Atlanta, IMO.
Yep, and Atlanta is not as open as San Francisco. So?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,395,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
Yep, and Atlanta is not as open as San Francisco. So?
As a gay man that has lived in SoFl and now Charlotte, I find Charlotte more welcoming than Miami. Let me explain. In Miami, you can find haters that would tell you in your face that they don't like homosexuals, of course, they would use offensive words. Here in Charlotte, I still have to encounter a weird look or insult. I am openly gay, I go every where with my partner, but we both are pretty "masculine". I guess in Charlotte people are more educated or more tolerant regarding gays and lesbians, eventhough they might not approve of what I do in my bedroom, at least they don't really care much about it either. And that's a good thing. I don't need their approval, but I like respect.

Last edited by CLTKing; 02-10-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
As a gay man that has lived in SoFl and now Charlotte, I find Charlotte more welcoming than Miami. Let me explain. In Miami, you can find haters that would tell you in your face that they don't like homosexuals, of course, they would use offensive words. Here in Charlotte, I still have to encounter a weird look or insult. I am openly gay, I go every where with my partner, but we both are pretty "masculine". I guess in Charlotte people are more educated or more tolerant regarding gays and lesbians, eventhough they might not approve of what I do in my bedroom, at least they don't really care much about it either. And that's a good thing.
Very nice posting. I hope things just get better and better for the both of your.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Well like midtown in Atlanta is the Gay district so you have gay owned bars restaurants etc i think thats what he is looking for and area thats catered to the gays You would probably have to travel to Atlanta for Parades and festivities.
Gays seem to be mixed in all over Charlotte. I would think the best place for a prodominately gay place would be Dilworth.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,201,063 times
please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "gay book store"?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:06 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "gay book store"?
SEE, I'm not the only one wondering...

It's like the restuarant question I asked - is a "gay bookstore" one that is

1)owned by gays
2)only sells books on being gay
3)only sells to gays

Old 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
The point is...by and large, Charlotte is a very nice place to live. We have a variety of people here and most seem to get along and coexist together just fine

Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,511,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
SEE, I'm not the only one wondering...

It's like the restuarant question I asked - is a "gay bookstore" one that is

1)owned by gays
2)only sells books on being gay
3)only sells to gays
v
I know this is coming from someone who hasnt been to White Rabbit but owned by gays is the only correct one you got

They sell books and magazines being gay , issues that is within the community, novels, fiction non, fiction, humor. Autobiographies that range from pop culture to political.

They also sell gay theme movies like you would see on the LOGO channel, music CD's, Jewerly, T shirts, undergear, cards, novelty items and some "add some spice" items.
They dont sell to only gays anyone welcome in the store.
clarify restaurant when we say gay restaurant we mean it gay owned or clientele tends to be gay doesnt mean they dont serve to the everyday public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte