U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 06:08 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,811,787 times

Advertisements

Thanks Whylf for mentioning that. Maybe they did and maybe they didn't. Im not having luck with my PM here at the community so it seems like I'll have to be a ***** again real soon..FUN!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,065,343 times
DH uses alfalfa pellets on the lawn and it looks really nice & green right now. He puts them down just before it rains. We get it at our local feed store. Now our neighbor is doing it too. Much better than chemicals.

Primarily a plant source of nitrogen, Alfalfa Pellets also contains trace minerals and triacontanol, a plant growth promoter. Broadcast 25-50 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. before planting, or apply as a side dressing later in the season for plants requiring additional nitrogen.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 AM

8 posts, read 11,997 times
I would bet that he put seed down too. The straw is there to hold in the moisture, which helps with the seed germination. Secondary benefits are protection and lessening soil erosion. Most of the seeding done in this area is tall fescue, which is best put down in the late summer (after most of the hot days are done). The second best time is early spring. The builder may have put down a combination of annual rye and fescue. The rye will likely come up in the next few weeks, before the fescue, and will die in the summer. The fescue will take hold in the spring and continue on.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 AM

I have a bermuda lawn..Thinking maybe they put that down instead..

Old 02-11-2009, 07:15 AM

416 posts, read 808,601 times
The problem with hay/straw is that it creates a weed problem. We had a similar situation where the builder put a drain in due to standing water issues in our side yard. I was away for the weekend but as soon as I got back I raked up all the hay/straw and threw it out. Despite jumping on it quickly, every year in the string hay grass grows along the line where the drain was put in. Too much to pull out by hand and weed killers don't kill it. The only thing that makes it go away is cutting the grass regularly for 6-8 weeks.

A seed blanket would be a much better choice over a small area in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up Gumbo. Maybe I'll pull all of it out today as I don't want to deal with additional weeds..

Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,460,862 times
I quit , remember that patch in my yard that gets driven through and is bare now?
I overseeded with new grass about the week of this thread and new grass is emerging but I also have new tire tracks. This rain is good and bad I would rather have someone make the driveway larger

Good luck with your grass

Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Thanks SK. I seeded yesterday over the drain area and some spots. I'll keep you posted..

Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 AM

8 posts, read 11,997 times
Just wondering how your lawn turned out.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:34 PM

179 posts, read 530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
The problem with hay/straw is that it creates a weed problem. We had a similar situation where the builder put a drain in due to standing water issues in our side yard. I was away for the weekend but as soon as I got back I raked up all the hay/straw and threw it out. Despite jumping on it quickly, every year in the string hay grass grows along the line where the drain was put in. Too much to pull out by hand and weed killers don't kill it. The only thing that makes it go away is cutting the grass regularly for 6-8 weeks.

A seed blanket would be a much better choice over a small area in my opinion.
If you're going to use any type of straw or hay for seed cover or erosion it should be SALT hay. This will eliminate the problem Gumbo mentions above. I haven't moved down there yet and don't know it's availability there, but up north it can be found at any gardening center. Basically it's a type of hay that grows in the salt water marshes and does not reseed itself in lawns.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte