U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,033,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I so agree with you - I love high up views
+1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM

409 posts, read 988,067 times
I guess the bottom line is that, aside from the terrorist concerns, that the upper floors in a tall building command very high rents, so economically it probably does not make sense to have an observation deck. Even a bar/restaurant probably can't generate enough revenue to pay the going rate for rent.

If you look at the Empire State Building in NYC, they charge a lot of money to go to the observation deck, and you have thousands of tourists each day that are willing to pay to dough to do that. Plus, all the sales of souvenirs, etc. make setting aside what would otherwise be prime office space for something else worthwhile.

I just don't see that happening in Charlotte.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,725,143 times
You never know with all the empty exec offices filling those floors!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
The post 9-11 excuse doesn't fly with me. The Empire State Building still allows public up to the top.

If you want to see a somewhat similar view, go to Crowders Mountain. You can see the Blue Ridge on a relatively clear day...something you can only see from the upper floors of BofA typically.

ESB. has had restaurants , shops and observation tower built in building prior to 9-11. I dont even know what is at the top of BofA but I would be quite certain this CEO room and doubt he would want to share his spot.
Plus the elevators are different than ESB BofA elevators go by controlled high security floors. They need to keep them open to hold the billions of dollars they have ours from this stimulus package

Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM

457 posts, read 1,226,033 times
I got really high uptown yesterday, had an interview on the 22nd floor of 201 S. College, not sure of the bldg name, but the panoramic view was very cool..

Old 02-11-2009, 02:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
I got really high uptown yesterday, had an interview on the 22nd floor of 201 S. College, not sure of the bldg name, but the panoramic view was very cool..
That is one of my favorite buildings The Charlotte Plaza or the Grant Thorton Building

I like the way it is designed

Old 02-11-2009, 02:59 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
YAY!!! An interview!! Please keep us posted on the results - I've been praying for you

And how cool would that be, for you to work so high up with a view!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:12 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbri20 View Post
The highest I've been is Bentley's on 27. It's a restaurant on the 27th floor of the Charlotte Plaza building on College St.
That is a nice view. Its not exactly a "public observation deck" but they do have a bar (as well as the restaurant) so if you don't want to do dinner there, you can stop by to have a drink and enjoy the view.

I've also heard something about events on the roof of the Mint Museum - but I have no idea how high up that is or what the view is like.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,697,599 times
I'v experienced a very nice view from the top of the Holiday Inn in uptown. The top floor is the gym which has an outdoor walking track around the perimeter of the floor.I think it was on the 16th floor.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 AM

327 posts, read 1,057,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
That is a nice view. Its not exactly a "public observation deck" but they do have a bar (as well as the restaurant) so if you don't want to do dinner there, you can stop by to have a drink and enjoy the view.

I've also heard something about events on the roof of the Mint Museum - but I have no idea how high up that is or what the view is like.
Now that's not a bad idea. I haven't looked at the menu prices, but I'm going to assume that I can't afford a meal. But I could probably swing a drink or two. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte