U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:57 AM

21 posts, read 65,258 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from Belmont Abbey College with a BA in Business Management and a concentration in Motorsports Management. The Motorsports Management Program at Belmont Abbey College is only four years old, and I am part of a small group a students who graduated in December in the first ever graduating class. I have experience in the motorsports industry through three internships and a part-time position. I have hands-on expertise in the motorsports industry in guest services, logistics, event planning, race operations, and corporate sales and marketing. I am looking for a full-time position with a race track, race team, sanctioning body, or support service within the industry. Unfortunately, prior to my graduation in December, many jobs in the motorsports industry were eliminated, and I have not been able to find any jobs for recent college graduates. Does anyone have any leads for jobs within the industry? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvesey0505 View Post
I recently graduated from Belmont Abbey College with a BA in Business Management and a concentration in Motorsports Management. The Motorsports Management Program at Belmont Abbey College is only four years old, and I am part of a small group a students who graduated in December in the first ever graduating class. I have experience in the motorsports industry through three internships and a part-time position. I have hands-on expertise in the motorsports industry in guest services, logistics, event planning, race operations, and corporate sales and marketing. I am looking for a full-time position with a race track, race team, sanctioning body, or support service within the industry. Unfortunately, prior to my graduation in December, many jobs in the motorsports industry were eliminated, and I have not been able to find any jobs for recent college graduates. Does anyone have any leads for jobs within the industry? Thanks.

All I keep hearing is teams cutting people left and right.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:24 PM

769 posts, read 1,984,825 times
From what I hear, you really have to know someone inside - or have a killer resume - to get in to NASCAR. I'd recommend bugging any contacts you made during your internships - they're the most likely ones to know of openings, and give you the introduction you might need.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 PM

452 posts, read 2,128,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
From what I hear, you really have to know someone inside - or have a killer resume - to get in to NASCAR. I'd recommend bugging any contacts you made during your internships - they're the most likely ones to know of openings, and give you the introduction you might need.
You have to know someone inside. It's how DeLana Harvick got her start for example. I don't see this mentioned in the news/bios anywhere but way before she met Kevin, her dad got her on with some kind of PR thing...and she got in with Jeff Gordon back in 199x whenever he won a championship because she and his team each got a championship ring that year. She, um, lost that job.....then received help getting on with whoever it was, Randy LaJoie? and that's what put her to where she met Kevin. DeLana probably always wanted to be a NASCAR wife but moreso I think she wanted a job for her own interests. She always wanted to do what she's doing now. It would not have been possible at all, if her dad hadn't known people.

It's just the way that that business is........coming from your position the best thing you can probably do is look back to your internship contacts. Or try REALLY hard to meet someone who can boost you in......it was hard enough for people who HAD an "in". (In a lot of business and life in general.....it's "who you know")

Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post

Even the killer resume may not be enough. If you look at Hendrick Motorsports and their requirements, that looks like an unbelievably tough nut to crack. And I believe they're cutting staff as well.

I don't think there's any good part of the motorsports industry these days. It's too retail advertiser based and we all see what's going on with retail.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,016 times
Unfortunately with sponsors cutting back left and right, the teams are forced to.
And it is not only motorsports.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 PM

452 posts, read 2,128,286 times
Have you tried visiting the big ones in the area and inquiring about positions in person? I don't know who's in Mooresville, then try to go out to Kernersville to KHI. You won't know until you try. Try them all.

I could forward you to an "in" but I don't know how helpful they would be, because one thing I noticed about this "in" was that years ago, they were not very helpful in regards to someone else. The "in" I know, who is a relative, did not seem too enthused about it when another family member wanted to help get aNOTHER family member , who was laid off, on. They seem to work on a "good old buddy" basis honestly. Very clannish. I don't know how new people break in, except for the drivers whose talent gets attention. I don't know anything about how crew and background jobs get in, the ones I know were just in the buddy network and had been for a long time.

What I CAN say is I do feel someone should be willing to give you a break if it's financially possible in this economy. They all had them, every one of them had one person who gave them a shot. And everyone of them should remember this. What concerns me is I think the economy is so tanked that they will not be able to give shots even if they would otherwise be willing. I still suggest trying KHI because I THINK you may be able to go in there and get someone to talk with you if you have a good resume, and if they don't have anything maybe their contacts do. Take a chance, stick your neck out, and go for it (make sure your resume is well done!) Good luck...

Old 02-13-2009, 06:52 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,080,233 times
Definiately reach out to the people you interned with, it's all about networking. In a sea of resume's it's the best chance you've got to have yours pushed to the top of the pile. It has a much better chance of being reviewed and you will hopefully get at least a phone call or better yet an interview.

Even though NASCAR has a big office in uptown all the resume's go through thier Daytona office. The one time I did get a call, either the gal was having a bad day, hated her job or absolutely had no personality what so ever. The first question out of her mouth was accusing and snotty sounding. I was so happy to get the call and in tears after I hung up!

Good luck with your job search and keep us posted.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
Have you tried visiting the big ones in the area and inquiring about positions in person? I don't know who's in Mooresville, then try to go out to Kernersville to KHI. You won't know until you try. Try them all.

I could forward you to an "in" but I don't know how helpful they would be, because one thing I noticed about this "in" was that years ago, they were not very helpful in regards to someone else. The "in" I know, who is a relative, did not seem too enthused about it when another family member wanted to help get aNOTHER family member , who was laid off, on. They seem to work on a "good old buddy" basis honestly. Very clannish. I don't know how new people break in, except for the drivers whose talent gets attention. I don't know anything about how crew and background jobs get in, the ones I know were just in the buddy network and had been for a long time.

What I CAN say is I do feel someone should be willing to give you a break if it's financially possible in this economy. They all had them, every one of them had one person who gave them a shot. And everyone of them should remember this. What concerns me is I think the economy is so tanked that they will not be able to give shots even if they would otherwise be willing. I still suggest trying KHI because I THINK you may be able to go in there and get someone to talk with you if you have a good resume, and if they don't have anything maybe their contacts do. Take a chance, stick your neck out, and go for it (make sure your resume is well done!) Good luck...
BlueLily,

Thank you for this information. I am going to visit KHI in person and we will see what happens. You are so right that each and every person in the industry had one person who gave them a shot. Even in this difficult economic time, I hope that I can find someone who is willing to give me a shot. I can only promise that I will make the very best of my shot to prove myself. I can say that my supervisors at my internships at LMS and RPDE continue to rave about my work and would hire me to a full-time position if one was available.

Please keep your suggestions coming. They are a great help and inspiration.

Thanks. TOM

Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 PM

We need to move this thread back to the top of the list. Is there any business in the motorsports industry looking for a hard working, fresh college graduate? Please respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte