U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:00 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,660,180 times

Advertisements

I know there is a forum for travel baseball teams in Charlotte where coaches can find players and players can find teams. Is there a similar forum for travel basketball? My son is looking to tryout for 13U team based in South Charlotte area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:50 PM

370 posts, read 651,123 times
HI!

My son plays on an AAU team based in South Charlotte through QCAA. We think it is an excellent program and the coaches are great. I think they have teams all the way up to 17U.

QCAA - Charlotte NC Boys / Girls AAU Basketball, Camps, and Leagues

I am not sure exactly which coach handles the older boys, but I think it is Coach Addie who is so incredibly nice, my son really likes him.

Best of luck and HTH!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
HI!

My son plays on an AAU team based in South Charlotte through QCAA. We think it is an excellent program and the coaches are great. I think they have teams all the way up to 17U.

QCAA - Charlotte NC Boys / Girls AAU Basketball, Camps, and Leagues

I am not sure exactly which coach handles the older boys, but I think it is Coach Addie who is so incredibly nice, my son really likes him.

Best of luck and HTH!
Thanks for the response. I have been in contact w/Coach Addie who seems like a great guy. They have a new 13u team and actually asked my son to tryout tonight. My one concern is where practices are (SW CLT) which is a half hour from me (Weddington). We may check option out though.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 AM

4 posts, read 49,421 times
Default Girls U13 Club basketball spring 2009

I am father searching for options for my daughter to play some club U13 level girls basketball this spring in the Charlotte NC area. Either I will gather a team myself or plug her into a existing team. Trying to find who is organizing teams is the hard part. Our Preference would be the Fort Mill area or south Charlotte. Does anyone have some contacts on this subject?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 AM

Default girls basketball

I looked into this QCAA program and they seem to be a boys program. There is nothing to indicate they have any girls programs. Thanks. Greg

Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Phoenix South Basketball has girls 13U www.phoenixsouth.org . Some of the teams will practice downtown Charlotte or N/S Charlotte, alot depends on area where coach is home based. Call for info:
Vince Jacobs 704-340-6180 or Sam Hinnant 704-427-8747. They have had tryouts the last couple weekends and have another Sun 2/22 at Vance HS. I'm told you are not too late as the 1st two tryouts were for conditioning, they'll do picking for teams on Sunday.
Another option might be 'Yes I can' League and Carolina Courts as some of their programs haven't begun for the Spring.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I looked into this QCAA program and they seem to be a boys program. There is nothing to indicate they have any girls programs. Thanks. Greg
It is only boys...

I am not aware of any AAU girls programs. Have you tried Carolina Courts?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM

I may yet look into the Pheonix program. The Yes I can program is on my list , but is not exactly what I am looking for tournament play. Carolina Courts will not have a U13 team this season. Only U11, U12, U14, U16. My daughter cannot compete at this moment against strong U14 players. Thanks for the input and help. I will keep searching. Greg

Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I may yet look into the Pheonix program. The Yes I can program is on my list , but is not exactly what I am looking for tournament play. Carolina Courts will not have a U13 team this season. Only U11, U12, U14, U16. My daughter cannot compete at this moment against strong U14 players. Thanks for the input and help. I will keep searching. Greg
I understand.

The Yes I Can Program, in our experience, is great for fundamentals. Eddie Oates is a great teacher as were almost all the others we had experience with over the two or so years we played with them. They are not incredibly competitive and do not have any kind of tournaments, that is also why we went to the QCAA program, a little more challenge. If you can, do the camp in the summer. My son starts asking about it as soon as it starts to get warm. The last two years have been at the JCC and they swim and play ball all day. He LOVED it. I hope his AAU schedule allows him to do it again this year.

I never knew how fierce some of these youngsters are! I have a 10U player and my gosh, some of those kids are HUGE and their raw talent blows me away. My son was born in 1998, so officially could play up to 11U, he would get toppled in size alone, and he is a good little player. It has been eye opening for us.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Yes these kids they get on these tournament teams are extremely aggressive and fierce with both boys and girls. We played a competition this past weekend. My daughter was in a jump ball situation. The whistle blew but neither player would let go of the ball for a bit. The other girl picked up the ball in that brief momnent with my kid attached to it and pushed them both away hard and sent her flying to the floor about 8 feet away. No one got hurt thankfully, but the one ref was responsible and said we can't have actions like that and gave the other girl a techincal foul. The other ref was perfectly content to resume play with no incident. I have also seen in tournament play the referees typically allow alot more physical contact with and without the ball. I have seen players dribbling in full stride get knocked 3 feet off their stride and no whistle. I have seen dribblers practically close-lined in the middle of the court and no foul. I have seen rebounders get the ball in hand up high and they can not bring the ball down to the floor to start a dribble because there are four arms and hands reaching in to rip the ball away, and yet no foul is called and all these hands were certainly not on only the ball. Then the same kid gets angry and starts throwing elbows to shake loose from the situation and then busts another kid in the face and then gets called for a foul. Where was the call earlier in the play? It seems the referee tendency is to keep the game moving regardless of how rough it gets so the schedule can be maintained. I have a problem with "loose" referee play because it teaches kids to be ruthless to their opponent until the referee reins them in and in tournament play roughness is the name of the game. Kids who get on this track find they can not play like this when they are older and game calling gets a lot tighter or they foul out. So as coaches do we go out and recruit big strong kids who can not play a lick of basketball but we teach them to be enforcers and go knock the crap out of some overly aggressive kid to level the playing field? I have scene this as well and it is very disappointing that the sport has to drop to this level to allow your kids to have a chance to win and all because of how a tournament is managed.

Another big problem with tournament competition is their are always teams that have these monster size kids in the younger ages classes. You find U10 boys and girls who are 5'10" and 180 lbs going against kids 4'6" and 80 lbs. This can't be fair. There should be size limit rules in ages U13 and younger. Big kids should play with kids that match their size if not only to be fair then for safety sake as well. There are size rules in younger kids football, so why not basketball? After all in tournament play basketball is certainly a contact sport.

I have played many a game against year around program type teams. Why is it that when my team is getting crushed by 50 points, then when the game is over and we are walking through the greeting line that these kids do not ever smile. They have the most solumn faces. Even when they play, they are so serious. It appears like it is all business and no fun. They are like machines. It is like they eat , sleep, and drink basketball 11 months a year to be the best, but are they truely having fun? They win but where is the joy? I feel sorry for these kids. They are so channelled into one activity that they miss out on other joys of life. One day they grow up and wake up and say "what the heck was I doing?" Then they become bitter and won't have anything to do with the sport that they gave their younger years to.

Tournament basketball is certainly a new adventure, and it can be a great experiance , but parents and kids should be aware of what they will be facing when they decide to go down this path. For some folks the passion to "win at all cost" does come with a price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte