U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:25 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,742,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Trulia.com

Its just one source for DIY's on information that the MLS refuses to show to the general public.

Absolutely inaccurate. A simple phone call to your agent will get you the information which is part what any buyer must know.I have had hundreds of the listings sent to me and it is clearly part of the information available.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 AM

9,569 posts, read 27,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMar View Post
There is no problem at all with the graph, whether people would like to "see" a problem or not.

The graph is flawless.

Of course, the data can be interpreted in different ways, but don't attack the raw data.

The data are the data.

All I did was take them from the realtor site and put them in a graph so that they would be more easy to look at than a list of numbers.

My interpretation of the data is:

1. Average home price in Charlotte is falling rapidly. This is indisputable, as this is exactly what one trend line shows.

2. The growing gap between average original list price and final average sales price portends very bad things for the housing market in Charlotte - this is arguable.

But we have one poster who is willing to do the research.

Let's stop all the hand waving and simply state what data you think will support the proposition that any segment of the Charlotte market is not in aggressive decline. Well?

By the way, I have a BS and an MS in science, and I have little doubt that I have a better grasp of statistics than most.

I presented two line graphs people - this is not regression analysis here. The graphs I created could be created by any competent 6th grader.

If you don't like my analysis - that's fine.

But to suggest that I "go read a book" is a bit odd.

Anyone want to state right now where prices will be in a year?

Hmm?

I'll estimate that average sales price in 1 year will be down 20% from what it is now.

If you think it will be up from what it is now, say so.

Time will prove one of us right - whether it's me - the statistical retard, or you.
You are really missing the point dave. I don't even disagree with your overall conclusion that prices have dropped. However your interpretation of what the data shows in your graph is "flawed" despite the fact that the data is "flawless" as you put it.

Tober pointed this out quite clearly (in this post) and even gave you simple examples to demonstrate the flawed logic in your op. I'm not sure why you still don't understand.

No reasons to get huffy. Statistical analysis can be a difficult concept for many despite their individual academic achievements. I'm not calling you silly names. I'm just suggesting that your grasp of statistical methods is not as strong as you think. That's all.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 02-15-2009 at 06:08 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,742,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post

If someone wants to present data but does not have the time to research it, let me know, I'll happily look up the data you want me to.
Great. Thank you for the offer to do something I don't have time for.
On the house you presented in an earliar post on Providence. . . the one that is "REDUCED $375,000" you stated that was his original asking price. What I would like to see, I think it might shed some light on this thread, is the original listing. Surely this will be easy to obtain if you do some digging or a real estate person here on board assists you.

Lets see the original listing, days on the market and the reductions on the price to date.I would hate to base points made on this thread only on one liner in some stranger's listing that says "REDUCED $375,000." I think we can go a little further and perhaps we all get educated in the process.

Thanks for the offer BTW

John

Last edited by pink caddy; 02-15-2009 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,134,749 times
And, yet, there is the prevailing question that I presented to the OP which he (apparently) refuses to answer despite his assurances of his superior mental intellect and powers of discernment.

WHY?? WHAT IS HIS MOTIVE? WHAT DOES HE BENEFIT/GAIN FROM THESE POSTS??

Old 02-15-2009, 07:22 AM

515 posts, read 908,513 times
What's the old line about statistics....correlation is in the data, causation is in the eye of the beholder....I'm sure any downward trend indicated by the data is just a statistical aberration, and Charlotte will continue to have continuous 6% gains, regardless of double digit unemployment and nationalization of the banks. Why would anyone imply a failing national economy, and collapsing home prices across the nation would have any impact on Charlotte...

Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 13,844 times
Default "Charlotte in Same Predicament as Wall Street"

Interesting read . . . definitely suggests that the housing market is going to continue to take a beating in the coming years.

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - The financial collapse has hit the city known as Wall Street South.
For years, Bank of America and Wachovia helped turn Charlotte into a financial powerhouse. Now, the big banks have thrust it into the same predicament as the real Wall Street - the city is losing thousands of jobs and an unquantifiable amount of prestige. Residents who invested heavily in the banks have seen their wealth dissipate and lifestyles change radically.
"It's kind of sad, disheartening because the banks have been the backbone of Charlotte for so long," said Carl Clayton, a 55-year-old retired school teacher.
The loss of so many bank jobs is causing upheaval in other industries. Consumers who have been laid off or fear being out of work are curtailing their spending, forcing restaurants and retailers to close - among them Morton's, a high-end steakhouse, and a 15-month-old Home Depot Design Center. Even some of the Charlotte's lively night clubs have shuttered their doors.
"There's a bit of a state of disbelief," said Bob Morgan, president of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. "We are seeing things happen that no one else has contemplated before."
My Way News - Charlotte in same predicament as Wall Street

Old 02-15-2009, 07:48 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,741,037 times
Seriously...one post wasn't enough on the same topic?

I can't wait to come out of this debacle in [insert time frame here]...the economy and local markets (of every product/service, not just housing) shake off the beating they took...and see folks like this eat crow.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,680,136 times
McCrory on the "outside" is still upbeat, and feels all the professionals out of work will stay.

Time will tell....

Old 02-15-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Absolutely inaccurate. A simple phone call to your agent will get you the information which is part what any buyer must know.I have had hundreds of the listings sent to me and it is clearly part of the information available.
Its not "absolutely inaccurate".

It is not uncommon for people to do their own digging w/o commiting to an agent. For one, agents don't always respond in a timely manner.

Its not as simple as "a phone call".....I've been down that road and prefer to do my own digging and not wait on someone else.

These sites (and plenty others) are great for people who prefer to do their own work....

Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Seriously...one post wasn't enough on the same topic?

I can't wait to come out of this debacle in [insert time frame here]...the economy and local markets (of every product/service, not just housing) shake off the beating they took...and see folks like this eat crow.
We will eventually come out of this. No one said the contrary.

We are discussing the current state and voicing opinions on how long we feel the recesssion will last. This is a message board and if you don't like the topic, you don't have to respond...to me, I have zero interest in carry laws here and do not choose to respond, but you don't hear me complain about the threads discussed.....

simple as that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or