U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM

407 posts, read 727,075 times

Advertisements

In comparing the lakes. The major difference between the two,
Lake Norman Never Freezes
also the Catawba River never caught on fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 03:58 PM

92 posts, read 252,856 times
Thumbs up One of the best useful replies and post I ever had :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I moved from Cleveland mainly due to weather so you'll love that aspect. Charlotte looks newer and cleaner than Cleveland. Your commute to Monroe should be about 20 minutes. There will be traffic but you'll find many back roads or alternate routes that will avoid some traffic. I think CLT is as safe as CLE, CLT certainly doesn't have areas as bad (no places like east 55/Kinsman of CLE). Lake Norman is known as a party lake and has some resteraunts/bars you can park your boat at. Very few places will compare to the party scene at Put-n-Bay. You also have option of great spots on the NC coast that may meet the party criteria. There is great shopping in South Park Mall and exceeds the shopping of Beachwood, Legacy. As far as the outdoor format, Birkdale in Huntersville is the closest comparison. There are many pockets of shopping in the South Charlotte area (Blakeney, Ballantyne, Stonecrest).

One of the best useful replies and post I ever had
I have to admit it, because it was very tailored to my question !!
I appreciate your time and effort,
Have a nice day

I am still waiting on other Clevelanders or Ohioans in general who left Ohio to Charlotte in general or Charlotte in paritcular,

thanks

Old 02-13-2009, 04:01 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
One of the best useful replies and post I ever had
I have to admit it, because it was very tailored to my question !!
I appreciate your time and effort,
Have a nice day

I am still waiting on other Clevelanders or Ohioans in general who left Ohio to Charlotte in general or Charlotte in paritcular,

thanks
They're too busy outside in our beautiful weather to come back to the computer to respond to you

Old 02-13-2009, 04:05 PM

Cool I can tell because I just checked the weather channel and it is more than 60f,, oh my God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
They're too busy outside in our beautiful weather to come back to the computer to respond to you

I can tell because I just checked the weather channel and it is more than 65f,, oh my God here it is 29f, sweet Jesus Mary and Joseph and all other saints ... Help us Clevelanders "For a while so",,, hahaha

By the way, did you visit San Antonio before? Because I had the option of relocating there but because of License related issues, and this Forum ,,, and the job I got in Charlotte, I decided to relocate to Charlotte...

It would really help if someone can just tell me about how it compares to San Antonio,,,, Charlotte...

thanks again

Old 02-13-2009, 04:11 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,319,180 times
Quote:
More info for you

Lake Norman is a bit smaller than Lake Erie but it still has plenty of room for fishing, skiing, swimming and boating. There are 500+ miles of shoreline at Lake Norman and 850 miles of shoreline at Lake Erie. You can get a used pontoon boat to fit the size group you mentioned for starting around $20,000 - new will be much more.

Don't forget to research Lake Wylie - I actually prefer it to Lake Norman and since it's south of Charlotte would be closer to you once you move to Matthews or Union County.

Found a link about Lake Wylie for you - it only has 325 miles of shoreline, but it really is the peaceful lake compared to the party atmosphere at Lake Norman.

The Best Virtual Tour About Lake Wylie Anywhere! - Home

Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Wink I watched it, and it is great and I also like lake Norman even more

Quote:
Found a link about Lake Wylie for you - it only has 325 miles of shoreline, but it really is the peaceful lake compared to the party atmosphere at Lake Norman.

The Best Virtual Tour About Lake Wylie Anywhere! - Home

I watched it, and it is great and I also like lake Norman even more

Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 PM

2,368 posts, read 3,413,196 times
I don't quite live in Charlotte, but I moved from Cleveland, OH to Rock Hill, SC just south of Charlotte...I lived in Pepper Pike on Cleveland's east side, so I am not sure about the area you are looking for and what would be like it here. The lakes here are much different than Lake Erie b/c they are very long and narrow, where Lake Erie is like a true inland sea...you can see across both lakes here unlike w/ Lake Erie where you can't see the Canadian shore unless you are up at the top of the DT highrises in Cleveland. Both lakes though are great for boating. Unlike Lake Erie, the lakes here don't have public beaches to swim at, which is ashame imo.
Weather is so much better here, you can't believe it...I don't understand why anyone would ever want to live up there b/c of that...especially since Cleveland's economy is absolutely terrible, and it's one of the poorest cities in the country. There is no where near the violence here that happens in Cleveland, and there are no ghettos here like in Cleveland. DT Charlotte is nice and clean and actually has a good nightlife now, unlike Cleveland which empties out at 5. The people here are much nicer too, as I think Clevelanders know they live in a hell hole so they act like it.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM

10 posts, read 18,009 times
Wow – I just subscribed to the blog to help you doc .

I didn’t come from CLE but I came from the Canton / Akron area. I lived in Cuyahoga Falls before relocating to CLT. Right off the Brookledge Golf Coarse. Born and raised in Massillon and under grad at UT.

I don’t know the malls much in CLE. I did live a mile or two away from Birkdale Village in Harbor Side Commons apartments until we bought a place. I work on the campus that is right east of Birkdale as well and can tell you it is very similar to an Easton in Columbus, just not as big. I bet I eat lunch there twice a week.

However, the big info that I wanted to give you some insight on is Lake Erie versus LKN (Lake Norman). I am an avid boater and it is what I like to call my hobby/passion. The biggest thing I can tell you is that these lakes are vastly, vastly different.

Point 1)
LKN is a day lake where the majority go home rather than a weekend lake were the majority stay on there boats, trailers summer home, etc… I am sure this has a lot to do with the proximity to where we live versus where the lake is. I know the boating I did on Erie was all out of Sandusky or Port Clinton. Seemed like the vast majority at PIB where the same.

With it being a day lake I have found that my boating style has changed 180 deg. We tie up every weekend rather than going to PIB or Kelly’s and staying on the boat. I.E. you don’t need a cuddy and I would much rather have a tow boat than the deep v go fast that I bought new for Lake Erie . I also rack store now rather than trailer. The lake offers everything – why trailer for a $2500/yr charge when you would pay that in having a tow vehicle and gas for the tow vehicle. I rack a 25 ft at Westport in Denver.

Point 2)
The roughest day on LKN is the calmest day on Erie. I have been down here 20 or so months and I have been boating every weekend and day I can. Nothing compares to the chop on Erie. Don’t let anyone tell you its rough because you (being on Lake Erie) will laugh. You will never see a 4 – 6 on LKN not to mention 6 – 8.

Point 3)
LKN is a party lake. Much more relaxed atmosphere than Erie when on the water. There are 9 restruant/bars on the lake that don’t charge you to dock!!! All great food and great atmospheres. You will be able to find one that suites your liking the best.

With all the above being said, I have to say, the biggest things I miss about NE OH are my CLE sports and the Bay. Nothing compares to it….

I don’t think the people here are any nicer. You will find the service a little slower here in which you will get used to and a much more culturally diverse population.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 PM

Default Excellent post and reply, I am still waiting for more replies as good as this one :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by five cent worth View Post
Wow – I just subscribed to the blog to help you doc .

I didn’t come from CLE but I came from the Canton / Akron area. I lived in Cuyahoga Falls before relocating to CLT. Right off the Brookledge Golf Coarse. Born and raised in Massillon and under grad at UT.

I don’t know the malls much in CLE. I did live a mile or two away from Birkdale Village in Harbor Side Commons apartments until we bought a place. I work on the campus that is right east of Birkdale as well and can tell you it is very similar to an Easton in Columbus, just not as big. I bet I eat lunch there twice a week.

However, the big info that I wanted to give you some insight on is Lake Erie versus LKN (Lake Norman). I am an avid boater and it is what I like to call my hobby/passion. The biggest thing I can tell you is that these lakes are vastly, vastly different.

Point 1)
LKN is a day lake where the majority go home rather than a weekend lake were the majority stay on there boats, trailers summer home, etc… I am sure this has a lot to do with the proximity to where we live versus where the lake is. I know the boating I did on Erie was all out of Sandusky or Port Clinton. Seemed like the vast majority at PIB where the same.

With it being a day lake I have found that my boating style has changed 180 deg. We tie up every weekend rather than going to PIB or Kelly’s and staying on the boat. I.E. you don’t need a cuddy and I would much rather have a tow boat than the deep v go fast that I bought new for Lake Erie . I also rack store now rather than trailer. The lake offers everything – why trailer for a $2500/yr charge when you would pay that in having a tow vehicle and gas for the tow vehicle. I rack a 25 ft at Westport in Denver.

Point 2)
The roughest day on LKN is the calmest day on Erie. I have been down here 20 or so months and I have been boating every weekend and day I can. Nothing compares to the chop on Erie. Don’t let anyone tell you its rough because you (being on Lake Erie) will laugh. You will never see a 4 – 6 on LKN not to mention 6 – 8.

Point 3)
LKN is a party lake. Much more relaxed atmosphere than Erie when on the water. There are 9 restruant/bars on the lake that don’t charge you to dock!!! All great food and great atmospheres. You will be able to find one that suites your liking the best.

With all the above being said, I have to say, the biggest things I miss about NE OH are my CLE sports and the Bay. Nothing compares to it….

I don’t think the people here are any nicer. You will find the service a little slower here in which you will get used to and a much more culturally diverse population.

One of the best post I ever received so far
thank you so much,

soooma

Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 PM

8 posts, read 8,456 times
Hi there:
My fam and I are strongly considering a move to the Lake Norman area. I am from Akron as well; I used to teach in CF-small world. We are looking at Cornelius, Huntersville, Mooresville, and Denver. Currently, we live in North Royalton, which is right by Strongsville. We would like to stay in an area like Strongsville/Westlake, but our proximity to lake living is very important. Can you respond to the cities we are looking in and give me your opinion-any other opinions are welcome also. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or