U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Oh there are still at least 70 rental homes. I guess there are a lot of subdivisions without HOA. I know Cornelius town has banned single family homes from being used as VRs, but are still allowing condos, but this hasn't come into force yet for the existing SF vacation rentals.I wonder where they think everyone will stay when they come to the Lake and want Lake access? I suppose they will just stop coming and then the town will be complaining about the loss of revenue for businesses.
Actually, this is a practice that has not been encouraged - ever - (rentals) - as the region was not developed as resort/vacation but rather as residential and permanent homesites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 01:37 PM

1,644 posts, read 4,098,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You don't live here yet do you Susan? Not trying to be ugly, you just seem a bit out of touch with life here that's all. Am I right?
Out of touch in what way?

Old 06-29-2009, 01:41 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,685,897 times
The were many industries that were built along lake erie who used their water for industry processes. Lake Norman is not use for that. I understand that.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, this is a practice that has not been encouraged - ever - (rentals) - as the region was not developed as resort/vacation but rather as residential and permanent homesites.
Maybe not encouraged,but they exist.
There are at least 2 on our street.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:50 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Out of touch in what way?
Ani's post above yours addresses what I was referring to

Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ani's post above yours addresses what I was referring to
Oh well-I wasn't discussing whether they had been encouraged, but that they existed in fairly large numbers and that Cornelius had this year banned SF homes being used as VRs.
As this information is correct I don't know why you suggested I was out of touch, except to point out that I don't live in the US. That would be correct, however my husband does live there and we have owned our home over there for 3 years and are familiar with the VR market around Lake Norman.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe not encouraged,but they exist.
There are at least 2 on our street.
I didn't realize this was going on that much (rentals). I knew there had been a lot of upset over it w/ homeowners, as the neighborhoods were not developed for rentals. I do know people who have had property, tho, for 30 plus years, and have had very small "cottages" they have used as weekend/vacation property for their own families. I suspect there will be ordinances passed at some point to prohibit vacation rentals.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I didn't realize this was going on that much (rentals). I knew there had been a lot of upset over it w/ homeowners, as the neighborhoods were not developed for rentals. I do know people who have had property, tho, for 30 plus years, and have had very small "cottages" they have used as weekend/vacation property for their own families. I suspect there will be ordinances passed at some point to prohibit vacation rentals.
I'm sure there will be.Now that Cornelius has done it others will probably follow suit. If you google Lake Norman vacation rental,a lot of the lake rentals are advertised on the popular vacation rental sites, and there is also Lake Norman vacation station.
Anyway, I am sure we are way off topic here but as you say I think a lot of houses were almost like fishermans cottages-very small and basic.I know our road was just a track until around 1970. I wonder if people have bought them and then demolished them to build new homes on.There are still some homes that you would and think-that looks more like a weekend home than a permanent one, but most are permanently occupied now.
The lot next door to us has never been built on.I find it amazing that the subdivision has existed since the 60s and there are still lots that haven't been built on (these are not waterfront lots BTW!)
We are so in awe of the area where our home is as we have nothing remotely like it in the UK. I suppose people will think, "silly Brits, it's nothing" but to us we never grow tired of the view, the peace and the space around us.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM

7,105 posts, read 9,699,824 times
Beating a dead horse Picture

Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there will be.Now that Cornelius has done it others will probably follow suit. If you google Lake Norman vacation rental,a lot of the lake rentals are advertised on the popular vacation rental sites, and there is also Lake Norman vacation station.
Anyway, I am sure we are way off topic here but as you say I think a lot of houses were almost like fishermans cottages-very small and basic.I know our road was just a track until around 1970. I wonder if people have bought them and then demolished them to build new homes on.There are still some homes that you would and think-that looks more like a weekend home than a permanent one, but most are permanently occupied now.
The lot next door to us has never been built on.I find it amazing that the subdivision has existed since the 60s and there are still lots that haven't been built on (these are not waterfront lots BTW!)
We are so in awe of the area where our home is as we have nothing remotely like it in the UK. I suppose people will think, "silly Brits, it's nothing" but to us we never grow tired of the view, the peace and the space around us.
Well, that sounds like a little piece of heaven to me!!!! I only wish I had been able to buy one of those houses "back when." I love that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or