Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
They're too busy outside in our beautiful weather to come back to the computer to respond to you
Not quite. Some of us are playing Mafia Wars on Facebook in the AC because the humidity is so oppressive & it was 96* in the shade here today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clvrecover View Post
Hi there:
My fam and I are strongly considering a move to the Lake Norman area. I am from Akron as well; I used to teach in CF-small world. We are looking at Cornelius, Huntersville, Mooresville, and Denver. Currently, we live in North Royalton, which is right by Strongsville. We would like to stay in an area like Strongsville/Westlake, but our proximity to lake living is very important. Can you respond to the cities we are looking in and give me your opinion-any other opinions are welcome also. Thanks
You would probably get more responses if you start a new thread. Not having lived in the area you are now, all I can advise is that the towns you are considering each have a lot to offer - but they are all different as far as lake access, schools, shopping, home prices, etc. So there is a lot of variety in that region - and it all depends on what you are looking for as far as price of home, schools, nearby amenities, commute time back to work, etc.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clvrecover View Post
Hi there:
My fam and I are strongly considering a move to the Lake Norman area. I am from Akron as well; I used to teach in CF-small world. We are looking at Cornelius, Huntersville, Mooresville, and Denver. Currently, we live in North Royalton, which is right by Strongsville. We would like to stay in an area like Strongsville/Westlake, but our proximity to lake living is very important. Can you respond to the cities we are looking in and give me your opinion-any other opinions are welcome also. Thanks
Coming from NE Ohio I'm sure you will agree that many of the schools are top notch. It's important to check the schools out in the areas you are considering. When we moved down here almost 5 years ago we briefly considered Lake Norman area. I know Huntersville is a very crowded area and the schools were extremely over capacity then. I think Vance and N. Meck. HS served this area but maybe someone more knowledgeble can address this. It seemed as though that there were some good schools in the portion of Mooresville that was in Iredell county. Strongsville/Westlake obviously are on the newer side for Cleveland and have alot of retail, restaurants, hotels. I'd say as far as retail Huntersville with Northlake Mall www.shopnorthlake.com and Birkdale Village Welcome to Birkdale Village

Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Welcome to Charlotte! I assume that you have a job already...

Going from Matthews to Monroe should not be a problem. Most traffic will be going to Charlotte.

The weather is infinitely better than Cleveland's. Rarely do we get snow, and if we do, the entire place shuts down. We do have a winter, but, it is usually short (by comparison) and rarely does it stay below freezing for more than 24-48 hours. There are tornadoes, but, coming from Chicago, they don't seem to be any more frequent than they were there. Hurricanes are actually rare, we are almost 300 miles inland...were hit once, in 1989 by Hurricane Hugo...what we DO get is the back lash or lots of rain. You just need to be aware of your home and if there is a nearby flood plain. For example, I would not buy a house that was down in a gully. It is fairly rare that houses are flooded out and people are evacuated, but, like anywhere, it can happen.

Lake activities are pretty much restricted to those that have boats. We do have a whitewater place near to downtown Charlotte for kayaking and stuff like that.

Don't know Cleveland well enough to comment on comparisons to the areas that you mention...

hope that this helps...
Actually, we are 168 miles inland. That is how far it is to Myrtle Beach. It is 200 to Charleston.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by five cent worth View Post
Wow – I just subscribed to the blog to help you doc .

I didn’t come from CLE but I came from the Canton / Akron area. I lived in Cuyahoga Falls before relocating to CLT. Right off the Brookledge Golf Coarse. Born and raised in Massillon and under grad at UT.

I don’t know the malls much in CLE. I did live a mile or two away from Birkdale Village in Harbor Side Commons apartments until we bought a place. I work on the campus that is right east of Birkdale as well and can tell you it is very similar to an Easton in Columbus, just not as big. I bet I eat lunch there twice a week.

However, the big info that I wanted to give you some insight on is Lake Erie versus LKN (Lake Norman). I am an avid boater and it is what I like to call my hobby/passion. The biggest thing I can tell you is that these lakes are vastly, vastly different.

Point 1)
LKN is a day lake where the majority go home rather than a weekend lake were the majority stay on there boats, trailers summer home, etc… I am sure this has a lot to do with the proximity to where we live versus where the lake is. I know the boating I did on Erie was all out of Sandusky or Port Clinton. Seemed like the vast majority at PIB where the same.

With it being a day lake I have found that my boating style has changed 180 deg. We tie up every weekend rather than going to PIB or Kelly’s and staying on the boat. I.E. you don’t need a cuddy and I would much rather have a tow boat than the deep v go fast that I bought new for Lake Erie . I also rack store now rather than trailer. The lake offers everything – why trailer for a $2500/yr charge when you would pay that in having a tow vehicle and gas for the tow vehicle. I rack a 25 ft at Westport in Denver.

Point 2)
The roughest day on LKN is the calmest day on Erie. I have been down here 20 or so months and I have been boating every weekend and day I can. Nothing compares to the chop on Erie. Don’t let anyone tell you its rough because you (being on Lake Erie) will laugh. You will never see a 4 – 6 on LKN not to mention 6 – 8.

Point 3)
LKN is a party lake. Much more relaxed atmosphere than Erie when on the water. There are 9 restruant/bars on the lake that don’t charge you to dock!!! All great food and great atmospheres. You will be able to find one that suites your liking the best.

With all the above being said, I have to say, the biggest things I miss about NE OH are my CLE sports and the Bay. Nothing compares to it….

I don’t think the people here are any nicer. You will find the service a little slower here in which you will get used to and a much more culturally diverse population.

Do you think the reason that people don't stay on the Lake for the weekend is that a lot of the people have homes on the Lake with private boat docks, or in communities with Lake access and mooring facilities.
There are also a fair number of vacation rental homes on the Lake, which are very popular.
Having said all this,surely the commute to CMC Union from the top end of the Lake (Mooresville) would be a bit of a hike?
There are probably waterfront homes in your price range lake access. Depends what your requirements are really.
Suggest looking on carolinahome.com.
Some things to think about are that different areas of the Lake are in different counties with varying tax rates and school quality.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Do you think the reason that people don't stay on the Lake for the weekend is that a lot of the people have homes on the Lake with private boat docks, or in communities with Lake access and mooring facilities.
There are also a fair number of vacation rental homes on the Lake, which are very popular.
Having said all this,surely the commute to CMC Union from the top end of the Lake (Mooresville) would be a bit of a hike?
There are probably waterfront homes in your price range lake access. Depends what your requirements are really.
Suggest looking on carolinahome.com.
Some things to think about are that different areas of the Lake are in different counties with varying tax rates and school quality.
Your supposition about homeowners having docks is partially correct. But there are lots of others who come from surrounding areas and tow their boats and put in for the day - then drive back home. I know people from Hickory who like coming to LKN as well as Salisbury and Winston. Driving an hour or more is not a big deal when you start out early in the morning. Some people also have second homes at the lake.

I don't know how prevalent vacation rentals are these days, as most subdivisions w/ HOAs have made vacation rentals a violation of regs.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Your supposition about homeowners having docks is partially correct. But there are lots of others who come from surrounding areas and tow their boats and put in for the day - then drive back home. I know people from Hickory who like coming to LKN as well as Salisbury and Winston. Driving an hour or more is not a big deal when you start out early in the morning. Some people also have second homes at the lake.

I don't know how prevalent vacation rentals are these days, as most subdivisions w/ HOAs have made vacation rentals a violation of regs.
Oh there are still at least 70 rental homes. I guess there are a lot of subdivisions without HOA. I know Cornelius town has banned single family homes from being used as VRs, but are still allowing condos, but this hasn't come into force yet for the existing SF vacation rentals.I wonder where they think everyone will stay when they come to the Lake and want Lake access? I suppose they will just stop coming and then the town will be complaining about the loss of revenue for businesses.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Oh there are still at least 70 rental homes. I guess there are a lot of subdivisions without HOA. I know Cornelius town has banned single family homes from being used as VRs, but are still allowing condos, but this hasn't come into force yet for the existing SF vacation rentals.I wonder where they think everyone will stay when they come to the Lake and want Lake access? I suppose they will just stop coming and then the town will be complaining about the loss of revenue for businesses.
You don't live here yet do you Susan? Not trying to be ugly, you just seem a bit out of touch with life here that's all. Am I right?

Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
[quote=nacmd70;7455116]In comparing the lakes. The major difference between the two,
Lake Norman Never Freezes
also the Catawba

Caught on Fire? What.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
[quote=bmd69;9523102]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
In comparing the lakes. The major difference between the two,
Lake Norman Never Freezes
also the Catawba

Caught on Fire? What.
I think the poster just meant that Lake Norman is not polluted - some lakes and rivers are so polluted that they actually have fires start on them when too many chemicals have been allowed to be dumped in them and become combustible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte