U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM

143 posts, read 334,140 times

Advertisements

I was out of town last week and when I arrived home, there were spray paint lines all over my yard - red, blue, yellow. They are all over the place and I know where my electrical/cable lines are and I never requested this. Does anyone know why the city would come out and do this? What do the colors mean? *confused*

I even had a fence put up last week and they definitely had to open the gate to get in to mark up my whole back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM

327 posts, read 748,303 times
They are utility locate markings. Are they on adjacent yards as well or along the road? Maybe from your neighbors planned construction (?), or utility work in the right-of-way. Blue is for water lines, red is for phone, yellow is for gas.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM

143 posts, read 334,140 times
The markings are only on my property. I did just have a fence installed...I wonder if the fence company inquired about marking everything and there was delay because my fence was up before the markings. Thank you for the info!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,963,602 times
If you're sure the markings are only on your yard, then it's most likely something related to only you (perhaps the fence installation...which makes sense since they had to set the posts and wouldn't want to hit a line--but being after the fact is a bit pointless!).

If the markings can be found on other properties in your immediate area, it may be a survey being conducted. The utility locators head out in advance and mark where important items are (water, sewer, gas, electrical, telephone, data, etc. lines). Then the survey crew heads out and collects field survey data. State law allows access to private property for purposes of collecting survey data. Crews may not enter structures, only property (including fenced yards). Typically, standard practice is for the entity conducting the survey (city, county, etc.) to send a courtesy notification letter to those folks who may see crews on their property.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:24 AM

11,772 posts, read 18,431,388 times
Fence companies generally mark out the utilities before they dig. Although when the fence on the rear of my property went up they cut the phone lines. Apparently the utility marking guy didn't get the lines marked quite right.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 AM

35,606 posts, read 43,927,551 times
You say you know where your lines are. So my first question is - do the markings correspond w/ where you know your lines to be located? As long as they correspond w/ where your lines run (using LBIkid's color code definitions) . . . then I would not worry about it.

As Metallisteve said . . . it appears they were just marking off the areas for data collection or in reference to your fence or a survey.

I don't think it would be anyone pranking you w/ those different colors of paint being used, since they do appear to correspond w/ standard marks for locating lines.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 AM

327 posts, read 748,303 times
It sounds as if the markings were for the fence. The fence company is required to call the locating service prior to work. In NC, the locators have 72 hours to locate the site. The fence company is not supposed to proceed with the work until the site has been located, but I've seen more than a few times when the locators have been late.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,359,604 times
Yep. Probably from the fence installation.

I install sprinkler systems. We call for utility stakings well in advance of every job. We rarely get to a job and find that the utilities have actually been marked by the time we were told they would be. So then we do what we can to spot the utilities, and have at it. That's probably what happened here. The fence company called it in, and they just now got marked.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:30 PM

630 posts, read 1,221,293 times
I had mine done in Huntersville when I was digging, and it was done the next day. They say to keep 3 feet away from the markings because its not an exact science. I was digging in the backyard at the time and there was nothing close, though I did manage to hit our buildings secret irrigation piping in the backyard. Thanks for that one.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,963,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
...though I did manage to hit our buildings secret irrigation piping in the backyard...
Remember, only public utilities are part of the "Call Before You Dig" program. Private irrigation systems are the responsibility of the land owner to locate (whether they know they're there or not). Most utility locate work is done by referencing record drawings of the public utilities which are created after they're installed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte