U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:19 AM

386 posts, read 839,246 times

Advertisements

This always bugs me. Yes I understand that the cc companys charge a fee for each transaction. But in reality if the merchant is someplace that processes a large amount of payments, then the savings in not having someone to physically open each piece of mail, sort file, data enter the information, etc should count for something. Most places have a process to just automatically download electronic payments right into their system. In order to save money, they should be encouraging people to pay electronically and people just aren't going to do that when it costs them that much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,402,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
This always bugs me. Yes I understand that the cc companys charge a fee for each transaction. But in reality if the merchant is someplace that processes a large amount of payments, then the savings in not having someone to physically open each piece of mail, sort file, data enter the information, etc should count for something. Most places have a process to just automatically download electronic payments right into their system. In order to save money, they should be encouraging people to pay electronically and people just aren't going to do that when it costs them that much money.
I agree completely. You'd think we were doing them a favor by making it so easy! Sounds like just another way to wring $$ out of people.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
There was a mention of the percentage, you just didn't see it. You have to realize that it is not UC that is charging you the extra fee. It is the credit card/bank company. That is how paypal makes their money. UC is not going to give them 2% of the taxes just because it is paid online, they would lose way too much money that way. For profit companies don't mind it because it gets more people buying and their markup is much more than that. As a taxpayer myself, I personally wouldn't want a portion of taxes owed going to a bank anyway!

Oh and edited to add: it has nothing to do with UC being in the dark ages. In reality, a credit card should be swiped to prove it was actually you. A government agency really doesn't have the resources to deal with the amount of chargebacks that would happen if they started to allow over phone credit card charges. Going through paypal puts the responsibility on paypal, not union county.
That's a lot to think about and I thank you for posting it. It's entirely possible I missed the percentage being charged. Somehow it just wasn't listed in a place where I would notice it. Hmmm.

Union County is the one who decided to use this system, whoever gets the money. It was very telling to me that so many other places I shop will take my credit card over the phone but was told by the rep I talked to they just don't have the capability to do that in UC.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 AM

822 posts, read 2,540,478 times
Default Similar in SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
It was a "convenience fee," about 2.5 to 3% of the total. I learned a big lesson today: Pay by check and forget the charge card.
I asked by phone if I could give my credit card that way, and was told that they could not process the credit card by phone, only in person. I feel like I'm stuck in the '60's. They don't have the capacity to just punch the numbers in; they have to swipe the card.
Thanks for the moral support, though!
Has anyone had this happen to them??
Paying online with Lancaster Co. is the same situation except process their payments with PayPal. When I discovered this, I mailed in property taxes instead.

Trinity Waste Services charges a similar fee.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Paying online with Lancaster Co. is the same situation except process their payments with PayPal. When I discovered this, I mailed in property taxes instead.

Trinity Waste Services charges a similar fee.
I'm beyond understanding how this exorbitant fee can be legal.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I'm beyond understanding how this exorbitant fee can be legal.
I think we (as a society) are so use to the frequency of using a debit card that most people forget about the fee MasterCard and Visa charge to merchants. If this fee was passed onto the buyer, the shopping public would look a lot different today. Maybe people wouldn't spend as much on credit! Course merchants want me to shop there and they know I won't if I can't use my plastic so they'll gladly pay the fee. It's likely figured into the cost of retail products anyway somehow. Nothing's free.

If Union did pay the $75 or Lancaster did pay the 2% transaction fee then the county seat would either, A) cut the money from something else or B) raise other fees/taxes, etc.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
I think we (as a society) are so use to the frequency of using a debit card that most people forget about the fee MasterCard and Visa charge to merchants. If this fee was passed onto the buyer, the shopping public would look a lot different today. Maybe people wouldn't spend as much on credit! Course merchants want me to shop there and they know I won't if I can't use my plastic so they'll gladly pay the fee. It's likely figured into the cost of retail products anyway somehow. Nothing's free.

If Union did pay the $75 or Lancaster did pay the 2% transaction fee then the county seat would either, A) cut the money from something else or B) raise other fees/taxes, etc.
That all makes perfect sense, of course, but do you really think a credit card company would charge the stores $73 for each transaction?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,486 times
Yes. Of course it all relates to the total being paid.

All merchants charge a fee for each transaction. It is usually 3% -5%. It can be more. Generally the more transactions and the more money processed the higher the merchant fee. That is one reason why some places won't let you use a debit or credit card if your total is under $______ dollars. They would not make much, if any, profit if you use a card.

There are also other fees - monthly fees (for using the service), batch fees, gateway fees and sometimes statement fees.

As said up thread, most businesses pay these fees and lose that part of your payment. The county has decided that it needs 100% of your payment and residents must pay the additional fees.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,168,559 times
That is one reason why many smaller retailers and restaurants don't accept American Express, because they charge even more than Visa and Mastercard.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
That all makes perfect sense, of course, but do you really think a credit card company would charge the stores $73 for each transaction?
Hi Joan. You're right, that does seem high. I'm very curious how these fees are priced. Anybody know what percentage mastercard and visa charge retailers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte