Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:29 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,276 times

Advertisements

I am so steamed! I just paid my property taxes on line and got charged $73+ extra for paying on line!!!! What's up with that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 05:43 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
Sounds like it may be a % fee of your tax bill. Did it say there was a fee?

Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Before long Union Co taxes will eclipse Meck Co taxes.
Saves this post...

Old 02-13-2009, 06:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I am so steamed! I just paid my property taxes on line and got charged $73+ extra for paying on line!!!! What's up with that??
You would think that paying taxes online would be a logical process but it's not. When you buy something at say, a Best Buy, the store is only receiving about 97% of the cost of the item you bought. That other 3% is the "transaction fee" that Visa and Mastercard make for everything you buy. The store is accepting that 3% lower difference. Most state and federal agencies will not - they want precisely what you owe and add the transaction fee in on top of the full 100% payment. Government always wants the full amount. That's why I always mail my tax bills in. It's a lot cheaper!!

Old 02-13-2009, 06:32 PM

It was a "convenience fee," about 2.5 to 3% of the total. I learned a big lesson today: Pay by check and forget the charge card.
I asked by phone if I could give my credit card that way, and was told that they could not process the credit card by phone, only in person. I feel like I'm stuck in the '60's. They don't have the capacity to just punch the numbers in; they have to swipe the card.
Thanks for the moral support, though!
Has anyone had this happen to them??

Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
I believe it is mentioned that there is a tranaction charge when you pay online. They use a 3rd party service to handle transaction Just another reason not to wait until last minute to pay your bill so you have option of mailing payment.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
It was a "convenience fee," about 2.5 to 3% of the total. I learned a big lesson today: Pay by check and forget the charge card.
I asked by phone if I could give my credit card that way, and was told that they could not process the credit card by phone, only in person. I feel like I'm stuck in the '60's. They don't have the capacity to just punch the numbers in; they have to swipe the card.
Thanks for the moral support, though!
Has anyone had this happen to them??
Alot of places (especially UC water/sewer dept) will charge you a fee to pay by CC.....this really isn't surprising.

caveat emptor I guess.....

Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I believe it is mentioned that there is a tranaction charge when you pay online. They use a 3rd party service to handle transaction Just another reason not to wait until last minute to pay your bill so you have option of mailing payment.
Yes, I saw that. But I wasn't prepared for the amount! That kind of bowled me over for a while. That really smarts!
I thought this bill had been paid earlier, but come to find out there was some mix-up in the bill pay service I use (maybe it was me) and it wasn't paid. I always try to pay everything on time.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Alot of places (especially UC water/sewer dept) will charge you a fee to pay by CC.....this really isn't surprising.

caveat emptor I guess.....
No, not surprising. There was no hint of how much it would be until I got through the online pay process and hit "submit." "Submit" is quite apt wording, come to think of it!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:05 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
There was a mention of the percentage, you just didn't see it. You have to realize that it is not UC that is charging you the extra fee. It is the credit card/bank company. That is how paypal makes their money. UC is not going to give them 2% of the taxes just because it is paid online, they would lose way too much money that way. For profit companies don't mind it because it gets more people buying and their markup is much more than that. As a taxpayer myself, I personally wouldn't want a portion of taxes owed going to a bank anyway!

Oh and edited to add: it has nothing to do with UC being in the dark ages. In reality, a credit card should be swiped to prove it was actually you. A government agency really doesn't have the resources to deal with the amount of chargebacks that would happen if they started to allow over phone credit card charges. Going through paypal puts the responsibility on paypal, not union county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte