U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you regret purchasing during the bubble?
Yes 19 48.72%
No 15 38.46%
I'm not sure, we will see when housing bottoms 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,726,557 times

Advertisements

Where is the "What bubble?" option?

Seriously, it's amusing to see folks think this small swell of a wave was a "bubble." You wanna see a bubble??? Research Central Florida home prices. Houses in my parent's neighborhood went from a modest $200k to near $500k from 2003-2005/6. Now you're lucky to get $250k-ish for the same house today. I won't even get into the obvious markets of the DC metro, anything out west (friend's house in the Seattle area went from $300k-ish to over $1M from 2001-2005), or nearly every other comparable metro area in out country!

Normal (non-McMansion) homes in Charlotte did not experience a bubble. When I first investigated Charlotte as a place to live back in 2005, the same homes were available to me as they were when I actually moved here and was in the home hunt market in 2007-2008. Just the right amount of homes in the $150k-$200k range...homes of all sizes, ages, types, and locations. Maybe new homes in the pretend elitest range of $350k+ bubbled due to their false rush of demand (aka: keeping up with the Jones' mentality)...I wouldn't know because I've never dabbled in that range. But for the rest of the world, we're doing just fine. Just because you can't sell a home in a week or two right now does not mean there was a bubble.

This circular referencing is getting nauseating...seriously. The idea of a housing bubble gets deflated in another thread, so a new one is made. Accept defeat and move on to another attack of our fine city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:59 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
[quote=Chef Giorgio;7483747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
[/b]

Look who's talking!.
BTW you need to learn how to paste quotes here since you are so smart (and that's after you edited your original post). I'm not going to discuss my education b/c I'd be wasting my time, and lowering to your high standards.

My biggest critique about your post had nothing to do with the fact you made money (although you make it so clear every time you write a post that you are indeed very selfish) but rather with what you wrote about "thanks to the Bush administration we had a robust economy." How can anyone still think the Bush administration created a robust economy is beyond me? But heck that's my 2 cents what do I know, right? BTW I too vote Republican most of the time but I have to be realistic and admit the last administration was a total disaster, and very unlike real, conservative Republican principles, out of control spending and fiscally irresponsible. The Dems so far have been a mess but as an American I can only hope they do a good job b/c the whole country depends on it.
If you so well educated as you profusely want to let everyone here know, you should know that whatever money you made would too be in peril thanks to a number of economic events, to include hyperinflation, deflation, the collapse of the banking system b/c of serious illiquidity and imminent insolvency thanks to derivatives alone, loss of credit rating as a country, etc.
There is nothing wrong with making money, I would encourage anyone I know to do so,but to feel good about yourself b/c you speculated your way to it? I hope you will enjoy the warmth of Hell.
Unless you have a masters in eonomics, I could care less about your "out of control" responses. I am married and am worried about your obsession with me. Leave me alone. This thread is for posting opinions and information. If you are this obsessed with the fact that I made money selling property, perhaps you should get on another message board for the down and out.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Where is the "What bubble?" option?

Seriously, it's amusing to see folks think this small swell of a wave was a "bubble." You wanna see a bubble??? Research Central Florida home prices. Houses in my parent's neighborhood went from a modest $200k to near $500k from 2003-2005/6. Now you're lucky to get $250k-ish for the same house today. I won't even get into the obvious markets of the DC metro, anything out west (friend's house in the Seattle area went from $300k-ish to over $1M from 2001-2005), or nearly every other comparable metro area in out country!

Just because you can't sell a home in a week or two right now does not mean there was a bubble.

This circular referencing is getting nauseating...seriously. The idea of a housing bubble gets deflated in another thread, so a new one is made. Accept defeat and move on to another attack of our fine city.

Good posting. I totally agree.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM

7,105 posts, read 9,701,079 times
[quote=bandibadji;7491635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post

Unless you have a masters in eonomics, I could care less about your "out of control" responses. I am married and am worried about your obsession with me. Leave me alone. This thread is for posting opinions and information. If you are this obsessed with the fact that I made money selling property, perhaps you should get on another message board for the down and out.
Bravo! I feel the same way about a few other people on this board. Sometimes when these people clock me I think I'm being stalked.
Have two of them breathing down my neck now.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:08 AM

8,723 posts, read 7,930,882 times
Do I regret buying here two years ago?

Yes and no, and it has absolutely nothing to do with home values.

Yes - While we really like the area we bought in, had we rented for the first 1.5 yrs we were here, we'd likely have bought somewhere else (NoDa, Midwood, etc).

No - We've met some wonderful, life-long type friends by moving into the home we did, when we did. You can't really put a pricetag on something like that.

We're planning on staying put for another 4-5 years, so hopefully we'll bounce back enough to *at least* break even when we move. I'm pretty certain we'll do better than break even 5 yrs down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte