Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:21 AM

249 posts, read 875,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
I've wondered about crime in Charlotte, too. When I look at Money Mag/CCN Best Places to Live 2006, Charlotte by comparison is worrisome.

For example, the 'Best Places' average for Personal Crime Risk is 45. 100 is national average, lower is better.

What is Charlotte? 214.

Property Crime Risk is 74 for Best Places average (again, 100 is nat'l average).
Charlotte? 209.

Personal crime incidents per 100,00: 228 is Best Places average, Charlotte is 1,077.

And Property Crime incidents are twice the Best Places average: Charlotte is 6,667, Best Places average is 3,105.

Even with all the caveats and disclaimers about the criteria for these stats, Charlotte is not looking good.

Don't even get me started on Air Quality Index and school performance!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL3712000.html

The hard stats are pretty hard to argue. The thing I have noticed most about living here is that you can go from nice, safe looking areas to bad areas in a few blocks. The personal property crime is out of control, and I do live here so I can say it. I have never been somewhere where just about anyone you talk to either has been a victim of it or knows someone who has.

I have a friend who lived here a week and had his and many of his neighbors car windows smashed out. Cops rarely come out for this type of crime... because there aren't enough of them. Home invasions are another problem but the biggest thing is they dont lock the criminals up for long. The jails are over crowded and repeat offenders are constantly put on the streets.

All that said, they are working to improve things but it will take a lot of time. They recently did a redistricting that has helped some areas so its a start. But at the end stats are stats, and Right Now charlotte ranks pretty poorly in many categories when compared nationaly. Excuses, reasons valid or not doesn't make the stats untrue.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:47 AM

39 posts, read 186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
You think this town has more "senseless crime" than the New York boroughs? Or anywhere else?

thats one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. I was going to post a list of links to crazy crap thats gone down in NYC, but, why bother.

Oh, i have been the victim of a crime too. Our home was burglarized while my wife was asleep and i was out of town. Yeah, it was bad, but i dont see it as any different than elsewhere. The only thing i do have an issue with is that these guys are seeming to find their way back out on the street after multiple offenses. Now weather or not thats a local problem, im not sure, but i doubt it.
Mr. Sippi Did you read my post? Or did you just get offended by the parts of the post that you wanted to pay attention to? You see that is why the crime there is senseless. Even those who think they have sense will open their mouths and blow their standing right out of the window.

Anyone who has lived in the entire world. That is " outside of a sheltered existence." Knows that robberies, murders, rapes etc are not something we see in the movies or on TV but are all so real and DEVASTATING to the victims, the families of the victims and the community at large.

If I say that I've been to many places and Crime in Charlotte is senseless and out of control. I Know what I'm talking about. Yet if I try to explain my position to some of you. You will buck, fight and resist. This is evident from some of the responses to this post.

For those of you who were victims of crime. You know the difference between those who are real and those who are in denial.

As I said before. I do like Charlotte. However I'm going to make sure that ALL OF MY BASES ARE COVERED. I will ask the tough questions that I need to have answered for me. If those questions offend you. Too bad.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Hearing this tells me for one that I will need to garage my vehicle at night. So I'd need to find an apartment with a garage. Are auto insurance rates climbing? Could anyone tell me what full coverage on a benz or bmw is costing?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:05 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel guy View Post
I have lived in Charlotte for 2 years and I Have been the victim
of random crime 3 times personally and about 16 time in my business. We had only lived here a short while and I was
in a parking lot on Woodlawn road. When I came out of a business
my car had been broken into and they got into the trunk. Stole my
laptop, printer, and alot of other personal stuff. The police would not even
come to the scene and file a report. Needless to say I was furious.
I am in the restaurant business. In two years here at our locations,
we have had about 16 robberies. Keep in mind that some of our locations
are in nicer areas of town. Everything from strong armed robberies
to breakins at night and in a couple of instances taking the whole safe.
my wife had her purse taken at Northlake mall. We are moving because
we never feel safe. We are out of here and let the thugs run wild.
the Police rarely catch anybody.

Tell me about the North Lake incident........Was she walking through the mall and had he purse stolen or was it in the parking lot? Was it night or daytime? I just want to make sure I am taking the proper precautions.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
You live in Brooklyn, grew up in Harlem, have lived in LA, and you think Charlotte has a crime problem????? You've admittedly never lived here, only visited, and you're qualified to state that "crime in Charlotte is out of control"? I read through your list of crimes and nothing jumped out to me as being "wild". Just your average stupid, thug criminal acts. Unfortunately, the same type of stuff that happens in cities all over the country. Stealing X-boxes, carjacking, armed robbery, stupid bank robbers, - none of this stuff ever happens where you're from?

"Wild" crime to me is punching a 101 year old lady in the head 3 times and robbing her. Or killing a pizza place employee and two volunteer cops because you were kicked out of the place.

Sounds to me like you're trying to talk yourself out of a move....

Like all places, Charlotte has good and bad areas. Find out which is which, be smart, and your chances of being a victim will decrease greatly. No city has crime solved.
My law enforcement background does QUALIFY me to make the statements I've made. Does everyone have to live in Charlotte to understand crime? I think not. People who have the mentality to just go out and take what you and I have worked so very hard for need to be arrested, prosecuted and if found guilty, incarcerated. Got it ? This isn't about someone who does not live there bashing Charlotte. This is about someone who would like to move there and become a positive influence in the community trying to find out if Charlotte is the right place for me.

Being that you've made the decision that Charlotte is the right place for you. I applaud you. Just give everyone else a chance to dwell in their own comfort zone as they try to do what you have already done...Thank..... you.......

Old 03-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks for your honesty.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Sounds like you have had some bad luck. I have been to Northlake many times and it seems like a nice mall. I mainly stay north of the city though (exit 25 and up).

I would do the same though if I had 16 problems with no resolutions in such a short time frame. Be safe and good luck when you move.

What about exit 23? Do you feel like it's unsafe?

What is up with the NE corner off of exit 28? I feel unsafe on that corner. I would never get gas at that gas station ever! Does anyone know anything about that? It looks like a stop and cop to me. I don't see that anywhere else in Cornelius, I wouldn't have a problem moving on the west side of 77 and at least a mile past that corner it's pretty scary. They have a nice subdivision around there called Victoria Bay I wouldn't think of it unless they clean that corner up.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Default It is a local problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
You think this town has more "senseless crime" than the New York boroughs? Or anywhere else?

thats one of the stupidest things ive ever heard. I was going to post a list of links to crazy crap thats gone down in NYC, but, why bother.

Oh, i have been the victim of a crime too. Our home was burglarized while my wife was asleep and i was out of town. Yeah, it was bad, but i dont see it as any different than elsewhere. The only thing i do have an issue with is that these guys are seeming to find their way back out on the street after multiple offenses. Now weather or not thats a local problem, im not sure, but i doubt it.
I have never been a victim of a crime in all of my years in major cities. I'm glad you didn't bother to post links about crime in NY. What purpose would that have served anyway. This is not about you moving to NY right ?

In terms of the revolving door that has these criminals going into jail and then right back out. Yes it is a local issue. It just seems to me that people down there are just accepting the crime. Sort of like just stay in your area and you'll be fine. What are the areas to stay away from?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
I agree with BKQC. At least the bank robber got $600; what did the guy get that ko'ed the old lady...$38.00. I think in towns like Charlotte crime is more highly publicized. A drive by shooting probably wouldn't make the evening news in some cities.
Yes I see your point. My point is that bank robbery is a Federal crime. Lets say the penalty for this crime is ten years. Does it make sense to possibly spend ten years of your life in prison for $600.00. What if a peace officer shot him dead ? What if the peace officer shot at him and missed but the bullet struck you or me ?

Yes at least the robber got $600.00. However how many of your hard earned tax dollars will go to provide his defense attorney? How much of your hard earned dollars will go to pay for his incarceration. Understand ?

These people make stupid choices that affect us ALL each and every day. Yet it is a mentality that will defend their actions because of this my town is better than your town crap. If you want your town to be better than mine. It's fine with me OK? So to make it official. Charlotte is better than New York. After all that is why I'm considering moving to Charlotte...DUH

Denial...Denial.....Denial.......

Old 03-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robz View Post
I was always told charlotte was safe. I was also told that concord was very safe. I have not lived there so Im not sure wether thats true or not
Concord had four murders this year, more than all of last year. A 17 year old boy, a 17 year old girl, a 39 year old man and a 59 year old man. I watch the news at night and you see that the Charlotte police are kept extremely busy. Just google "Charlotte NC Crime" and read away. Find a Charlotte news station that streams online and listen. On top of that, there's either part of the police or something that's headed to DC to try to get some assistance to curb the rising crime rate in Charlotte (and late last year the Charlotte police was working with the FBI on a study as to why crime is steadfastly on the rise). Between the high crime and the out of control illegal immigrant problem here (NC is ranked 8th in the country in the highest amount of undocumented immigrants stat), by no means would I consider Charlotte a "safe" city. Keep in mind that Concord's pretty much spitting distance from Charlotte. Concord's a beautiful area in spots, but given it's proximity to Charlotte...well...with everything I've mentioned here, you figure it out.

Heck, just click this link http://www.crimeincharlotte.com/ .

Last edited by BrianH1970; 03-17-2007 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte