U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Brian I suspect it might be 2006 data, I'm not sure where the poster may have gotten it from - maybe Sperlings?
No idea - have checked on various demographic sites (available w/o a subscription) and cannot replicate the info.

Maybe someone else will post the source or Amploud will come back and tell us. I am going to nuke my potato and eat dinner. Check back later

Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,964,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No idea - have checked on various demographic sites (available w/o a subscription) and cannot replicate the info.

Maybe someone else will post the source or Amploud will come back and tell us. I am going to nuke my potato and eat dinner. Check back later
Sorry folks for not being more clear earlier. I was in a hurry. The data was compiled from Cartus.com (login required.) The data is 2006 data. I'll grab the 2007 data when it's available.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:07 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,964,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - all of the numbers in those boxes are just ratios and not the actual number of types of crime in a given zipcode. For instance the murder number in zipcode 28202 is 113. That would mean that the murder rate is 113/100 or 1.13 times as bad as if you averaged the whole country's crime rate into a zipcode with a similar population.

The zipcode 28278 has a murder rate of 6/100 or 6% as bad as a similar sized zipcode averaged to the US murder rate in a same sized area. Which would tend to indicate you'd probably be more likely to be struck by lightning than be murdered!

For those three city rates at the end of the chart all it would mean is

Charlotte had a overall crime rate that is more than double that of NYC - 239/114 or 2.096 times as bad as NYC. I hope I explained it better this time!
This interpretation is exactly correct. Nice work.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:09 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

A whole potato for dinner, huh? I love potatoes and all but that better just be a side that you're nuking and not the main course.

I know, I know...I'm going off topic.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:12 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
A whole potato for dinner, huh? I love potatoes and all but that better just be a side that you're nuking and not the main course.

Be careful Brian, your post could result in this thread moving from one being concerned about crime to one being concerned about nukes!!! (Remember the old game of "gossip"???)

oops, now back to our "crime" watch...

Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,290,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Be careful Brian, your post could result in this thread moving from one being concerned about crime to one being concerned about nukes!!! (Remember the old game of "gossip"???)
As soon as I can link crime to a potato I'll post it here to salvage the thread.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 PM

379 posts, read 505,670 times
I would quickly like to mention that my husband and I moved out of the Steele Creek area in 2002 because of the crime! We took a $10,000 loss on our home. We were afraid for our children. The crime has been occuring much longer than the past year!

Old 01-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

I swear, Brian - just nuked the tater. Remember - I am a Southern cook. That sirloin has been slowly cooking in my roaster all afternoon, LOL. Did not even have to use a knife.

Yeah, back on topic . . . Thank you Amploud, for the data source. I figured it was from a site I did not have access to. Methinks we have some actuarials on the board???

Hope you have time to put up the 07 data later on.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
I would quickly like to mention that my husband and I moved out of the Steele Creek area in 2002 because of the crime! We took a $10,000 loss on our home. We were afraid for our children. The crime has been occuring much longer than the past year!
Could you, or someone else, please share w/ us the types of crime? Are we talking about home break-ins, vandalism, car theft . . . ??? Personal assaults?

I looked up Steele Creek division earlier this morning, and I was quite taken back to find that in the preceding 4 hours, there had been calls on 5 break-ins, but I was not able to figure out if these were homes under construction or what.

I have been reading this thread w/ great interest, and truly would like to know what the situation is in Steele Creek. Seems ridiculous that nothing can be done. Sounds like they need a very active, vigilant neighborhood watch in these areas.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,684,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Like I said we cannot take an $80,000 loss on our house and we will have to wait it out. I do not feel all of Charlotte is bad, I hear that North Charlotte is great as is Fort Mill. We visited here a few times before moving and talked with a lot of locals, all who will tell you the same thing, crime was not nearly as bad here (in Steele Creek) a year ago when we moved.
Has the market value of your home really depreciated $80,000 in one year?

I understand your plight about talking with the locals in the area, but unfortunately I have to say you were misinformed by most if not all of them. Did they tell you that Steele Creek is surrounded by crime ridden areas? I have lived in Charlotte 90% of my lifetime and at no time would I have chosen to live in Steele Creek with crime or proximity to crime being the number 1 deterrent. There are many more equally affordable yet greater quality of living than what Steele Creek has or had to offer. I am sorry for your misfortune but would kindly suggest you do what you can to move sooner rather than later to avoid causing you and your family continued undue stress.

I would like to bring this thread back to the original topic and stress that no, crime in Charlotte is really NOT that bad. I am by no means giving Charlotte a pass on crime, for I will agree that it is more than it should be. The primary factor contributing to higher crime in many areas of Charlotte is a failed judicial system, which results from lack of funding for additional judges, prosecutors, and police on the ground, as well as certain current liberal judges who continue to release these thugs back on our streets, again and again.

Of course all opinions and experiences should be welcomed in this thread but it should be seriously noted that many of these opinions are indeed skewed because of unfortunate circumstances. These experiences such as nkjaws (which I am not diluting your experience) do not represent the experiences of the majority of Charlotteans, natives or transplants. The area one chooses to live gives great bearing on one's perspective. Those of us who live in desirable, crime free areas of Charlotte metro (of which there are many) will naturally dictate that we feel quite safe and see Charlotte metro as a very safe place to live. OTOH, those who live in less desirable areas (of which there are fewer) and who experience criminal occurrences will naturally dictate that Charlotte is a criminal haven and fear for their likelihoods on a daily basis.

My point is that our perceptions are a reflection of our environments. There are more positive environments than negative environments in Charlotte, so for those considering a move to Charlotte metro must be able to discern people's perceptions of crime and not let certain experiences persuade them from making a great decision to move this area. Again, I am not trying to negate people's experiences, but everything must be taken in proper context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or