U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,263,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I swear, Brian - just nuked the tater. Remember - I am a Southern cook. That sirloin has been slowly cooking in my roaster all afternoon, LOL. Did not even have to use a knife.
And you expect me to stay on topic after reading that.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,150 times
For those of you who actually want facts(not what the "experts" say), take a look at the Charlotte PD data for the area.

I ran a report for Pilcher Dr. where we lived from 2000 - 2007 looking at Calls for Service and Reported Incidents.

If you want to see it for yourself, go to http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/map.aspx (broken link)
Set the filter date for what ever time span you want(do year by year if you want to start seeing the trends).
Set the Layers filter for everything.
Set Locate to Pilcher Drive.

When the results come back click on view under the location area.

BTW, we lived across the street from the big blue dot on Pilcher and Corsair.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,528,575 times
Default Crime Poll Anyone???

Okay. Don't know if this has been done or is even allowed or if there is any interest in it...But, I have been reading SO many threads on crime in Charlotte with greatly opposing opinions that I'm not sure what kind of community we will be moving into!!! Anyhow, if people are willing to post this information, it might give a picture...What area or sub do you live in? Have you or anyone on your block been the victim of crime in the last year? If so, what type of crime - vandalism, home burglary, car theft, hit n run, etc. If you were the victim of crime outside your home, where were you? What was the police response? Please post also if you have not been the victim of crime in Charlotte area over the past year. I know its not scientific, but it might help paint a picture and all the statistics being given don't seem to be definitivly answering the question. To begin, I'll say that while we don't live in Charlotte yet, we have visited on three occassions for a total of about 4 weeks. We stayed in South Park and in Ballyntine as well as once at the Embassy Suites on the west side. We walked, drove around and took the metroliner uptown. We never experienced any crime or came close to feeling threatened. We were incredibly impressed with the cleanliness of Charlotte and other than by the airport and one other area (Tyron Street?) saw no grafitti or other "scary" signs. But thats just our experience over several visits. Some of the crime site links posted here do make me a bit nervous...Anybody else game to post their personal experience or lack of with Charlotte Crime???

Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 PM

58 posts, read 164,506 times
Thank you Ani. That does help. I'll be renting my first year in CLT and will make sure I am not on the ground level. I'll be much better able to research where to buy once I am in the area. I hadn't entertained owning a gun (eventhough I grew up in a household with them) but I will at least consider the possibility.

Quote:
I can only comment on SouthPark. I feel safe there, even tho there have been situations w/ muggings occasionally. There will be that type of crime in any retail area on occasion (in any city).

I totally understand your concerns. We moved back here five years ago and my feeling was - just choose a safe area - and pay attention. Since I was a child, I was fully aware that there are areas of CLT that one simply avoids. I don't think that is unusual for any metro, tho.

My only concern has been what appears to be (to me) more home invasions in upscale areas. I have an alarm system and will definitely use a firearm if anyone attempts to cross the threshold of my home. However, I have only had one strange incident occur in five years . . . and that was w/ a guy who appeared to be on drugs . . . and was mixed up as to what neighborhood he was in (we assume).

As w/ any city, I just don't go certain places at nite, and frankly, I avoid going out at nite by myself, period. I fully realize I am more cautious than most people. I am in S. CLT, and I stick to that area at nite, and even then, I am aware that criminals sometimes target upscale areas . . . and so I am never complacent. However, I travel and I am cautious no matter what city I am in.

Maybe everyone knows this, so I apologize if it is terribly repetitive, but when I bought this house, I was looking for a house on a cul-de-sac and not near the entrance of the neighborhood. Robbers typically do not choose houses that have poor ingress and egress, as it slows down the process. I also wanted to live near a police station b/c of response times (but I have my doubts this really helped me any, LOL). My point is - I selected my home based on numerous criteria, not the least of wh/ was location w/in the neighborhood so I would lower the chances of a break-in.

I have managed just fine here . . . and I moved from a suburb (of a large metro area) - w/ a an overall crime rating of 37. However, had I not KNOWN these stats, I can honestly say . . . I have had nothing happen in five years that would make me think I was living in an area w/ much of any difference as far as crime.

I know this is only my experience . . . but since you are talking about SouthPark and S. CLT - maybe my experience will have some meaning for you.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:20 PM

379 posts, read 501,404 times
Quote:
Could you, or someone else, please share w/ us the types of crime? Are we talking about home break-ins, vandalism, car theft . . . ??? Personal assaults?

I looked up Steele Creek division earlier this morning, and I was quite taken back to find that in the preceding 4 hours, there had been calls on 5 break-ins, but I was not able to figure out if these were homes under construction or what.

I have been reading this thread w/ great interest, and truly would like to know what the situation is in Steele Creek. Seems ridiculous that nothing can be done. Sounds like they need a very active, vigilant neighborhood watch in these areas.
Gang activity, drug sales, assult, burglary, murders (Copperhead Island), just to name a few. The police published a newsletter in 2002 regarding gang colors and how to notify them with special strobe lighting. It was seriously scary. We are not talking about Central Ave either. This was a nice (at least what we thought was nice) neighborhood at 160 + 49.

The cops were in our neighborhood at least daily.

I remember watching our neighbor chase her naked boyfriend (in her van) (in front of her 2 children) down the street and into another neighbors back yard. She was doing donuts trying to run him down! We decided to move shortly after.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,920,434 times
Waxhaw Dad:Well i just checked out the data. Woooaaa.

I had checked out my neighborhood earlier today. Not one call for service or on incident reported anywhere around me w/in several blocks. Then I see the region around Pilcher. Repetitive problems in many blocks.

BURGI I cannot fathom living in a place where my family would be given info on gang clothing. And your classy neighbor . . .geeeeeezzzzz.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecherif View Post
Thank you Ani. That does help. I'll be renting my first year in CLT and will make sure I am not on the ground level. I'll be much better able to research where to buy once I am in the area. I hadn't entertained owning a gun (eventhough I grew up in a household with them) but I will at least consider the possibility.
Well, I don't want to sound like an ad for NRA, lol, but you may consider it. The way I look at it - we have no children in the house now - so I can have a firearm w/o the concerns when the kids were young. My thought is - better safe than sorry. Most likely, you will never have any reason to use it - I have had no reason to use mine here in CLT.

Just keep posting on this forum - when you find some apartments, let us know and I am sure there will be plenty of people to advise if you are looking at an area that has a good reputation.

Happy New Year, Cherif!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 PM

672 posts, read 1,644,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Has the market value of your home really depreciated $80,000 in one year?

I understand your plight about talking with the locals in the area, but unfortunately I have to say you were misinformed by most if not all of them. Did they tell you that Steele Creek is surrounded by crime ridden areas? I have lived in Charlotte 90% of my lifetime and at no time would I have chosen to live in Steele Creek with crime or proximity to crime being the number 1 deterrent. There are many more equally affordable yet greater quality of living than what Steele Creek has or had to offer. I am sorry for your misfortune but would kindly suggest you do what you can to move sooner rather than later to avoid causing you and your family continued undue stress.

I would like to bring this thread back to the original topic and stress that no, crime in Charlotte is really NOT that bad. I am by no means giving Charlotte a pass on crime, for I will agree that it is more than it should be. The primary factor contributing to higher crime in many areas of Charlotte is a failed judicial system, which results from lack of funding for additional judges, prosecutors, and police on the ground, as well as certain current liberal judges who continue to release these thugs back on our streets, again and again.

Of course all opinions and experiences should be welcomed in this thread but it should be seriously noted that many of these opinions are indeed skewed because of unfortunate circumstances. These experiences such as nkjaws (which I am not diluting your experience) do not represent the experiences of the majority of Charlotteans, natives or transplants. The area one chooses to live gives great bearing on one's perspective. Those of us who live in desirable, crime free areas of Charlotte metro (of which there are many) will naturally dictate that we feel quite safe and see Charlotte metro as a very safe place to live. OTOH, those who live in less desirable areas (of which there are fewer) and who experience criminal occurrences will naturally dictate that Charlotte is a criminal haven and fear for their likelihoods on a daily basis.

My point is that our perceptions are a reflection of our environments. There are more positive environments than negative environments in Charlotte, so for those considering a move to Charlotte metro must be able to discern people's perceptions of crime and not let certain experiences persuade them from making a great decision to move this area. Again, I am not trying to negate people's experiences, but everything must be taken in proper context.
While the overall market depreciation for our home is less then $80k, the builder dramatically lowered the prices on the homes in our neighborhood after the housing market crash and now people can get the same house with more options for around $60-$80K less.

Yes, everyone we talked to in the area told us the best place to raise a family was in either North Charlotte or the Steele Creek area. It wasn't until after we moved here that we noticed how you can go from sh_ _ to sugar in 2 blocks which isn't very comforting to me.

I do not feel my opinions and experiences are skewed. Never at any point have I said Charlotte as a whole is full of crime, I have infact continued to stand by my opinions about the Steele Creek area. Just like you can't judge a whole city by a few steets alone, you cannot judge Charlotte by the crime in the Steele Creek area. My goal is to be honest with people that ask and I am not sugar coating anything and will continue to advise people not to move to this area.

BTW, I am not sitting her wasting my time with nothing better to do then complain about crime. I feel that others should know about the crime in my area and also these are not my perceptions of crime. I have witnessed crime in my neighborhood on several different occasions, theft, break ins, and drug deals and the problem is not going away. Sure we could have a neighborhood watch if we had enough people in the neighborhood to vote yes, but since the builders still own a lot of the lots in the neighborhood and their votes count four to one compared to us homeowners, it doesn't look like we'll get a neighborhood watch any time soon. We have block crime captains which have proved to be useless. When we call the police after a robbery, theft, drug deal and response time is usually no sooner then 30 minutes and can be about an hour and a half from the time the call was placed. Here are few new crimes from a few hours ago...

1/2/2008 6:43:48 PMSTEELE CREEK2100 DIAMOND CREEK CR INJURY TO REAL/PERSONAL PROPERTYSTEELE CREEK7800 OLD PINEVILLE RD DV-ADW-NO INJURY

Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,174,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawDad View Post
For those of you who actually want facts(not what the "experts" say), take a look at the Charlotte PD data for the area.

I ran a report for Pilcher Dr. where we lived from 2000 - 2007 looking at Calls for Service and Reported Incidents.

If you want to see it for yourself, go to http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/map.aspx (broken link)
Set the filter date for what ever time span you want(do year by year if you want to start seeing the trends).
Set the Layers filter for everything.
Set Locate to Pilcher Drive.

When the results come back click on view under the location area.

BTW, we lived across the street from the big blue dot on Pilcher and Corsair.

I could not get this info to come up for some reason, but I believe you that it is there. Since you lived in the area 7 years I would like to know if you have an opinion about the cause for the problems in your neighborhood. SOMETHING must have happened, because there is nothing that I can think of surrounding Pilcher at all that would explain a crime problem. I'm wondering if this is one of those neighborhoods where folks who really shouldn't have been given loans were given them?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 PM

1/2/2008 6:43:48 PMSTEELE CREEK2100 DIAMOND CREEK CR INJURY TO REAL/PERSONAL PROPERTYSTEELE CREEK7800 OLD PINEVILLE RD DV-ADW-NO INJURY

This is very discouraging . . . I am really sorry you are not being assisted in your neighborhood. Until everyone is willing to join hands and help . . . I don't see anything changing.

Drug sales, for example, are so hard to do anything about unless LE is on the spot immediately. I can only imagine your frustration.

I see what you mean - that you are just talking about your experience and that you realize this is not the situation all over Charlotte. All I know is my experience, too, and mine has been (thankfully) very different than yours.

I was lucky. I grew up nearby and I had relatives in CLT area, so I knew exactly where I wanted to move when we came back to NC. I have been very fortunate to have no problems in this neighborhood whatsoever. Of course, I am hyper vigilant - I am the person who would quickly call if a suspicious car is hanging around . . . DH and I work here at home . . . so we are the "watchdogs" for our end of the neighborhood. Plus, we have two retired couples who also pay attention - and a street full of stay at home moms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or