U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,665 posts, read 5,941,351 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Case and point...
1/3/2008 9:12:19 AMUNIVERSITY CITY2300 W SUGAR CREEK RD JUVENILE-WEAPON AT SCHOOLCASE REPORT
1/3/2008 9:03:16 AMNORTH TRYON5800 WHITINGHAM DR STOLEN VEHICLE
1/3/2008 8:39:55 AMSTEELE CREEK3700 DISPLAY DR STOLEN VEHICLE

/3/2008 8:30:34 AMUNIVERSITY CITY400 HIGHROAD DR DEATH INVESTIGATION /3/2008 8:10:08 AMEASTWAY1200 PINECREST AV BREAK/ENTER RESIDENTIAL-UNOCCUPIED1/3/2008 6:58:58 AMINDEPENDENCE10000 SARDIS OAKS RD BREAK/ENTER RESIDENTIAL-UNOCCUPIED/3/2008 6:55:55 AMPROVIDENCE5100 KISTLER AV DEATH INVESTIGATION1/3/2008 6:47:10 AMSTEELE CREEK6400 DUPONT DR STOLEN VEHICLE1/3/2008 6:12:48 AMNORTH300 MINITREE LN BREAK/ENTER RESIDENTIAL-UNOCCUPIED1/3/2008 3:12:07 AMWESTOVER200 W WOODLAWN RD BREAK/ENTER RESIDENTIAL-UNOCCUPIED1/3/2008 2:52:38 AMNORTH TRYON3500 DENSON PL DISCHARGING A FIREARM1/3/2008 2:16:44 AMNORTH6300 DILLARD RIDGE DR BREAK/ENTER RESIDENTIAL-UNOCCUPIED
No, not case in point. I would not live in any of those areas just as I would not live in Steele Creek. While their will certainly be outliers, the majority of the crime is in isolated areas as you so graciously pointed out in the above referenced post.

 
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Steele Creek area, Charlotte
672 posts, read 1,116,203 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Awww... and we were getting along so nicely last night

These kinds of comments of yours are not really helpful nkjaws:
"I do see a bigger picture then the rest of you that are so narrow minded just because you have not seen these things in your "part" of Charlotte."

The only narrow-minded people I see on this forum are the ones who continue to insist that some of us are in denial and/or that crime is EVERYWHERE (when it really isn't).

And just fyi, the 3 calls for police service this morning that you just referenced all occured either in Steele Creek or the University area - both of which everyone here have acknowledged are having problems with a spike in crime while the rest of the city's crime numbers are going down.
AGAIN I HAVE NOT STATED IT IS EVERYWHERE just the places I have read about and the areas where I have seen it for myself.
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,665 posts, read 5,941,351 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
All of your posts have been spot-on and very well written. I feel for anyone experiencing these issues in Steele Creek but our concerned poster in that area certainly did start out by disparaging all of Charlotte in a flurry of emotion-- I am certainly glad we have gotten that straightened out and clarified in this thread-- FINALLY.

Steele Creek's crime has been the subject of other threads on this board. I, like carolina_guy, would never, ever move there. I considered it, with the fantastic new homes in my range and the promise of a thriving area-- yet, the thugs in the surrounding areas saw this growth as a magnet for theft and robbery, so I said no thanks.

I guess this thread can serve as a cautionary tale for prospective buyers in that area and a wake-up call to the city to concentrate on that area.
Thanks so much ncisgreat for recognizing this. My only intention was to clarify these posts to make known that these areas are a majority isolated. She keeps saying she wasn't talking about all of Charlotte at first, but her own words contradict that statement as referenced. But alas.........
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Wherever it is, I am sure it is cosmopolitan
674 posts
Reputation: 138
I have already posted FBI stats on crime from cities that are our size that show we are about the same as all the others as far as stats go.

That post was largely ignored on this thread-- guess because it shuts down the emotional crying about how crime-ridden Charlotte supposedly is.
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Wherever it is, I am sure it is cosmopolitan
674 posts
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Thanks so much ncisgreat for recognizing this. My only intention was to clarify these posts to make known that these areas are a majority isolated. She keeps saying she wasn't talking about all of Charlotte at first, but her own words contradict that statement as referenced. But alas.........
EXACTLY! It's always good to admit when one is wrong, instead of deny it, IMO
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
42,216 posts, read 48,725,119 times
Reputation: 33433
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
AGAIN I HAVE NOT STATED IT IS EVERYWHERE just the places I have read about and the areas where I have seen it for myself.
Not trying to argue, but weren't these your words on a previous post?

"My opinion about the crime in Charlotte is that it is out of control."
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
2,447 posts, read 4,284,357 times
Reputation: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
But many things on their site may be minor orwhatever...CALL CMPD and talk to them about exactly what is going on instead of reading it on their calls for service. ...death investigation could be an old person died... you just don't know...here's an idea...do some type of public service if you want to make a difference...try going on a ride along and SEEING what crap police deal with day in and day out, you might see things in a whole new light. All you have to do is call and request one.
Good Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And just fyi, the 3 calls for police service this morning that you just referenced all occured either in Steele Creek or the University area - both of which everyone here have acknowledged are having problems with a spike in crime while the rest of the city's crime numbers are going down.
Also it's important to know what areas are covered by each division. The Steele Creek patrol division covers some 20 square miles not in Steele Creek. Example: Looking at calls for service in the past 8 hours you see 3 stolen vehicle reports. One was in Steele Creek - 3700 Display Dr.

7600 WATERFORD LAKES DR
6400 DUPONT DR
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
34,012 posts, read 37,922,459 times
Reputation: 16867
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
I have already posted FBI stats on crime from cities that are our size that show we are about the same as all the others as far as stats go.

That post was largely ignored on this thread-- guess because it shuts down the emotional crying about how crime-ridden Charlotte supposedly is.
I didn't ignore it, LOL. And if I remember correctly, I took the time to go look up Columbus, OH, and post their stats or a link. Their demographics are not a perfect match . . . but the stats are very similar.

I don't know what else to say here. The suggestion to do a ride-along was excellent . . . I have done that in the past (years ago - different city) and it was enlightening (plus got some great b&w shots!!!)

I am interested in citizen activism. I believe we all have a responsibility to make CLT the safest city possible. However, there is only so much we can individually do, other than organize in our own neighborhoods and advocate w/ city leaders to address particular problems through zoning, for ex.
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:01 AM
 
Location: The 12th State
21,465 posts, read 35,113,520 times
Reputation: 12565
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Good Post!



Also it's important to know what areas are covered by each division. The Steele Creek patrol division covers some 20 square miles not in Steele Creek. Example: Looking at calls for service in the past 8 hours you see 3 stolen vehicle reports. One was in Steele Creek - 3700 Display Dr.

7600 WATERFORD LAKES DR
6400 DUPONT DR
I remember in 2000 I went out to Mythos and when I left the place I could not find my car in the parking lot I thought I parked in. I was certain it was either stolen or towed. Police came out to do a report about 5 a.m.

I came back later when it was daylight and a few parking lots down from the one I thought I parked in was my car.
Police call will be logged as stolen car but it will not be known on their website the resolution.
 
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,665 posts, read 5,941,351 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I remember in 2000 I went out to Mythos and when I left the place I could not find my car in the parking lot I thought I parked in. I was certain it was either stolen or towed. Police came out to do a report about 5 a.m.

I came back later when it was daylight and a few parking lots down from the one I thought I parked in was my car.
Police call will be logged as stolen car but it will not be known on their website the resolution.
Had you taken the blue pill or the red pill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top