U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,601,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
Okay, from the person who is planning to move to Charlotte very soon - this topic makes a scary read. I am seriously having second toughts. Just can't figure out if crime in Charlotte really as bad as it seems. I live in Brooklyn, NY and can easily go outside my house in all hours. I feel completely safe walking home from subway 8 blocks at 11pm. I never heard about anyone abducted by car in front of their houses - EVER! I am just very scared and confused right now, especially considering I am a single mom with teenage daughter.

You can't do that in all parts of Brooklyn (like Bedford Stuyvesant). You can't lump all of Charlotte into one either. If you are use to living in Brooklyn then Charlotte will be a piece of cake for you. I guarantee the crime rate in Charlotte is no worse than Brooklyn. I use to live in Manhattan and their are many sections that you would not want to walk around at 11pm or all hours of the night either.

Move to Charlotte and ENJOY!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 AM

674 posts, read 56,873 times
Quote:
Okay, from the person who is planning to move to Charlotte very soon - this topic makes a scary read. I am seriously having second toughts. Just can't figure out if crime in Charlotte really as bad as it seems. I live in Brooklyn, NY and can easily go outside my house in all hours. I feel completely safe walking home from subway 8 blocks at 11pm. I never heard about anyone abducted by car in front of their houses - EVER! I am just very scared and confused right now, especially considering I am a single mom with teenage daughter.
Don't let certain people on this thread who are having issues with their ONE corner of a LARGE city freak you out. See, this is why all of us were so angry at one person's ability to blow up situations and mis-label the ENTIRE city.

If you are a single mom, I suggest affordable and safe areas such as Matthews, South and SE Charlotte, Mallard Creek Church/Prosperity Church Rd areas, Pineville, Huntersville, Cornelius, Ft Mill, etc.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:54 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,880,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Moderator cut: the referring post has been either edited or deleted.

nkjaws, we don't all have to agree on everything on this forum, and usually don't!, but we do manage to respect each and every regular among us - if you stick around you'll come to appreciate some of us for what we bring to the discussion, though on first glance we might have put you off - then again, at first glance you might have put us off, lol.
loves- I agree with those sentiments! I also understand the the situation nkjaws finds herself in. Think of that famous painting "The Scream" and you'll understand the poster's state of mind.

First, let me say that given its size and population that Charlotte's overall crime rate is probably better than many similarly sized and populated cities. However, that is cold comfort to people who live in an area where crime is starting to spike in a big way!

Coming from one of those nearly dead NE cities (Paterson NJ), I find that Charlotte is a real anomaly, both in relation to other cities in the South and especially compared to a typical city in the Northeast or Midwest.

It is Huge!!! - and to my mind after viewing large chunks of it - nearly empty! Think of it - Charlotte occupies nearly the same amount of land as New York City. New York City has almost the same population as the whole state of North Carolina 8.5 million. Most cities with similar populations to Charlotte have about a quarter of Charlotte's land area of 285 sq miles. My first impression of Charlotte was of a small gleeming downtown surrounded by seemingly endless suburbs.

Charlotte has a deceiving quality for my former NJ eyes in that many "so-called" bad sections of Charlotte look quite nice actually - at least by day.
I was always used to what would be considered a "bad area" to consist of endless 2-family houses on 25x100 lots that were a hundred years old at a minimum, inhabited by thousands of "Section 8" people. If you are a fan of HBO's "The Wire", the areas of Baltimore that are portrayed on that show are a good example. The worst parts bear a striking resemblance to something you might see on the Military Channel - a German city after a bombing. You know it's a bad section of town. It would be obvious to Helen Keller!

Charlotte doesn't seem to have those kinds of ancient housing. Perhaps it's because the surrounding areas were so rural and land so cheap that space was never a consideration. Thus, you can end up buying a home in what looks to your eyes like a nice suburban area, only to find that it backs up to another maybe not so nice suburban area that you later find to be the "suburban slum".

What is the future of Charlotte? I'm not sure. Right now, Charlotte seems to be that "new Shining City", but will it continue to be? There are elements in the way Charlotte operates ( the county controls the schools) that are in its favor. But would Meyers Park and South Charlotte parents send their kids to a Magnet school in a setting that looks like the backdrop for a street scene on "The Wire"? They'd have to staff it with Nobel Laureates as teachers and after a while, even that wouldn't be enough.

Some of the signs are there to make me worry, altho' I probably will be "Six Feet Under" if they ever come to pass! Union County is a good example of that! How many "Snobs of Providence" style developments will it take to drain Charlotte of its upper middle class and middle class before an area like Meyers Park has its grand houses subdivided up into Section 8 apartments?
It's happened before to many of this country's major cities. A city like Detroit still has its shiny-looking downtown, but surrounding it for 10 miles in every direction, is a veritable no-mans land. It could happen to Charlotte if everyone gets complacent! There a a "Manifest Destiny of Suburbia" concept alive and well in this country that creates a "Dead City" surrrounded by old suburban communities, then increasingly newer ones where "everybody" wants to live! If Charlotte doesn't start to address its problems now in a meaningful way, it could become the "Detroit" of the South and that would be a real crime!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 01-03-2008 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: sp gr

Old 01-03-2008, 11:56 AM

58 posts, read 120,488 times
Even more than the firearm...I think I should take a self defense class before I move down. I was reading the article about the pilot that was almost abducted and thought his military training is what gave him the ability to fend off the guys enough to not get taken to that second location. I think that kind of class is a good idea for a woman no matter where she lives. I travel a lot and probably should have taken one a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I don't want to sound like an ad for NRA, lol, but you may consider it. The way I look at it - we have no children in the house now - so I can have a firearm w/o the concerns when the kids were young. My thought is - better safe than sorry. Most likely, you will never have any reason to use it - I have had no reason to use mine here in CLT.

Just keep posting on this forum - when you find some apartments, let us know and I am sure there will be plenty of people to advise if you are looking at an area that has a good reputation.

Happy New Year, Cherif!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 AM

672 posts, read 1,198,383 times
Quote:
I have children myself, so naturally that makes you more fearful of situations like this b/c we have to protect our children from this as well. Here is the thing, I grew up in NJ and have been to NYC. I know there are parts of Brooklyn where you don't want to be past dark, just like Newark, NJ, or Miami, FL. That being said there are certain parts of Charlotte that you wouldn't want to be past dark either but there are nice parts where you can feel plenty safe as well. What part of Charlotte are you planning to relocate to?

Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 PM

672 posts, read 1,198,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
loves- I agree with those sentiments! I also understand the the situation nkjaws finds herself in. Think of that famous painting "The Scream" and you'll understand the poster's state of mind.

First, let me say that given its size and population that Charlotte's overall crime rate is probably better than many similarly sized and populated cities. However, that is cold comfort to people who live in an area where crime is starting to spike in a big way!

Coming from one of those nearly dead NE cities (Paterson NJ), I find that Charlotte is a real anomaly, both in relation to other cities in the South and especially compared to a typical city in the Northeast or Midwest.

It is Huge!!! - and to my mind after viewing large chunks of it - nearly empty! Think of it - Charlotte occupies nearly the same amount of land as New York City. New York City has almost the same population as the whole state of North Carolina 8.5 million. Most cities with similar populations to Charlotte have about a quarter of Charlotte's land area of 285 sq miles. My first impression of Charlotte was of a small gleeming downtown surrounded by seemingly endless suburbs.

Charlotte has a deceiving quality for my former NJ eyes in that many "so-called" bad sections of Charlotte look quite nice actually - at least by day.
I was always used to what would be considered a "bad area" to consist of endless 2-family houses on 25x100 lots that were a hundred years old at a minimum, inhabited by thousands of "Section 8" people. If you are a fan of HBO's "The Wire", the areas of Baltimore that are portrayed on that show are a good example. The worst parts bear a striking resemblance to something you might see on the Military Channel - a German city after a bombing. You know it's a bad section of town. It would be obvious to Helen Keller!

Charlotte doesn't seem to have those kinds of ancient housing. Perhaps it's because the surrounding areas were so rural and land so cheap that space was never a consideration. Thus, you can end up buying a home in what looks to your eyes like a nice suburban area, only to find that it backs up to another maybe not so nice suburban area that you later find to be the "suburban slum".

What is the future of Charlotte? I'm not sure. Right now, Charlotte seems to be that "new Shining City", but will it continue to be? There are elements in the way Charlotte operates ( the county controls the schools) that are in its favor. But would Meyers Park and South Charlotte parents send their kids to a Magnet school in a setting that looks like the backdrop for a street scene on "The Wire"? They'd have to staff it with Nobel Laureates as teachers and after a while, even that wouldn't be enough.

Some of the signs are there to make me worry, altho' I'll probably will be "Six Feet Under" if they ever come to pass! Union County is a good example of that! How many "Snobs of Providence" style developments will it take to drain Charlotte of its upper middle class and middle class before an area like Meyers Park has its grand houses subdivided up into Section 8 apartments?
It's happened before to many of this country's major cities. A city like Detroit still has its shiny-looking downtown, but surrounding it for 10 miles in every direction, is a veritable no-mans land. It could happen to Charlotte if everyone gets complacent! There a a "Manifest Destiny of Suburbia" concept alive and well in this country that creates a "Dead City" surrrounded by old suburban communities, then increasingly newer ones where "everybody" wants to live! If Charlotte doesn't start to address its problems now in a meaningful way, it could become the "Detroit" of the South and that would be a real crime!
Very well written!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:14 PM

167 posts, read 366,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
What part of Charlotte are you planning to relocate to?
I am looking at SouthPark, Providence Rd, Randolph Rd aroung Fairview and Sharon Amity.

We looked at Strawberry Hill Apartments and liked it, but now I hear that there were car and apartment burglary there

It's hard to understand how it is all the way from here - 2-3 day visits don't give much either. I am thinking about coming down there for a month or two, look for a job, and if everything works out, then I'll move my daughter and stuff.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 13 days ago)

21,926 posts, read 38,961,475 times
Quote:
Just so you can get a good idea of how large Charlotte is on a low traffic day that I can do the speed limit it takes me probably thirty five to fourty minutes to go from the North end of city by North Lake Mall to the south side before Pineville If I was to go from the West side by the airport to Albermarle Rd to 485 the east side, it would take me around 45 minutes to an hour

According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 242.9 square miles (629 square kilometers). Out of that, 242.3 sq. mi. (627.5 km˛) of it is land and 0.6 sq. mi. (1.6 km˛) of it is water. The total area is 0.25% water.

There is plenty of good areas to live within the city as well it has some sketchy areas but plenty of space to live away from high risk area.

Feel free to start a thread on the good areas or use the search feature in this forum and we have plenty of members who will guide you in the right direction.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-03-2008 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 12:23 PM

674 posts, read 56,873 times
Quote:
I am looking at SouthPark, Providence Rd, Randolph Rd aroung Fairview and Sharon Amity.

We looked at Strawberry Hill Apartments and liked it, but now I hear that there were car and apartment burglary there

It's hard to understand how it is all the way from here - 2-3 day visits don't give much either. I am thinking about coming down there for a month or two, look for a job, and if everything works out, then I'll move my daughter and stuff.
Strawberry Hill is perfectly safe.
I hate to bring you into reality so hard, but if you are a renter, there are no apt complexes anywhere that have not had isolated incidents. If you are expecting utopia, you won't find it here or in 99% of America. Where you are looking is perfectly safe, just don't go north of Randolph on Sharon Amity.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM

167 posts, read 366,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Strawberry Hill is perfectly safe.
I hate to bring you into reality so hard, but if you are a renter, there are no apt complexes anywhere that have not had isolated incidents. If you are expecting utopia, you won't find it here or in 99% of America. Where you are looking is perfectly safe, just don't go north of Randolph on Sharon Amity.
I am old enough to know there is no Utopia, just don't want to be in the area similar to Canarsie in Brooklyn, if anyone know what I mean. In Brooklyn you know right away that you are in the bad area, in Charlotte - almost everywhere looks nice and safe, that's why it's scary to read these kind of stories. Isn't Providence Country Club a nice area?

Thank you very much for your comments. We are going to be in Charlotte again in 2 weeks, and after that we will pick an apartment complex to stay.

Thanks everyone, it's a great board, have no idea what I would do without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte