U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2008, 01:45 PM

35,575 posts, read 43,772,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
I am looking at SouthPark, Providence Rd, Randolph Rd aroung Fairview and Sharon Amity.

We looked at Strawberry Hill Apartments and liked it, but now I hear that there were car and apartment burglary there

It's hard to understand how it is all the way from here - 2-3 day visits don't give much either. I am thinking about coming down there for a month or two, look for a job, and if everything works out, then I'll move my daughter and stuff.
Nazira: DH was in a townhouse at Strawberry Hill, while I was out of state selling our house and preparing for the move. We had a six month lease. We had a great experience there! The management co. was terrific, wonderful neighbors, not a single incident that even made me THINK about safety issues.

That has a been a few years ago, but I continue to hear good things about Strawberry Hill. Also, it is a very convenient location, w/ shops nearby, retaurants, grocery store, Bank/ATM.

We bought a home in S. CLT. We are very happy here. We have thought about moving up N to Mooresville to be closer to family, but I really do not want to leave our home and neighborhood here.

There are plenty of safe places to raise a family.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM

185 posts, read 421,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
I am looking at SouthPark, Providence Rd, Randolph Rd aroung Fairview and Sharon Amity.

We looked at Strawberry Hill Apartments and liked it, but now I hear that there were car and apartment burglary there

It's hard to understand how it is all the way from here - 2-3 day visits don't give much either. I am thinking about coming down there for a month or two, look for a job, and if everything works out, then I'll move my daughter and stuff.
Thats the best thing you can do is visit for more then three days.A hands on experience is the way to go.
You will hear of stories like the burglary(and more severe crime) EVERYWHERE.

Crime is not bias.It happens in all levels of income and class.(not just here in Charlotte) And as it has been said a gazillion times in this thread, some spots are worse then others. But overall come and see for yourself !
Only YOUR eyes and YOUR gut will make a decision for you.
Those two things should have the heaviest impact on you not just a few stories.
That combined with the help of Citi-data , you have a winning combination.
Best of luck to you!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,784 times
Beatties Ford and Eastland are the 2 most dangerous parts of Charlotte. Beatties Ford Moderator cut: racial and Eastland is a Moderator cut: racial (Imagine the problems there.) I lived in both places growing up in Charlotte. Ya more likely to get shot off of Beatties Ford or Freedom Drive (Freedom Drive...lol). I was approached by a couple hispanics in Eastland and pushed around a bit, but I'm fine. They got a couple pops in the cheek. But those the only 2 places i'd watch out for.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-03-2008 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 PM

1,852 posts, read 3,404,803 times
Living in several large cities, I don't see Charlotte being any worse than Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas, Tampa, etc. Charlotte seems to report more minor crimes than the other cities, so it may appear worse. I believe I live in a fairly safe area, but my apt complex just suffered 3 strikes in one weekend, a apt break, car stolen and other theft. Does it worry me, not really, in fact it may be same group. Do I take precautions yes, even being a larger young male, I keep my wits about me. No where is 100% safe, and no one should ever think that way. But you also can't let fear run your life. Protect yourself and your family as much as you can, but up to a point it is out of your sphere of influence, and stressing about it, doesn't help.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM

672 posts, read 1,222,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Living in several large cities, I don't see Charlotte being any worse than Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas, Tampa, etc. Charlotte seems to report more minor crimes than the other cities, so it may appear worse. I believe I live in a fairly safe area, but my apt complex just suffered 3 strikes in one weekend, a apt break, car stolen and other theft. Does it worry me, not really, in fact it may be same group. Do I take precautions yes, even being a larger young male, I keep my wits about me. No where is 100% safe, and no one should ever think that way. But you also can't let fear run your life. Protect yourself and your family as much as you can, but up to a point it is out of your sphere of influence, and stressing about it, doesn't help.
I cannot object to the crime stats in Chicago, Phoenix, or Tampa, however, I lived in Dallas for 8 years and it was different then Charlotte. Sure there was an "area" where you could not go, but overall it was very safe. Here the difference is that there are still nice areas but there also seem to be more pockets of crime rather then the condensed places in Dallas. Maybe that was the biggest shock for me coming here and my attitude towards some of Charlotte was how the crime is spread out.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:24 PM

1,852 posts, read 3,404,803 times
Not sure what part of Dallas you were in, but I lived mostly in Plano, and even though it was total suberbia, it had its share of big issues. Right before I lef they had 2 large home invasion streaks. This again was one of the nicer parts of the area. All I am saying, is crime can hit anywhere, so to your original concerns, Steele Creek seems to have higher than average crime, just like certain parts of most big cities, but as whole, I don't see Charlotte in a bad light.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM

35,575 posts, read 43,772,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
I cannot object to the crime stats in Chicago, Phoenix, or Tampa, however, I lived in Dallas for 8 years and it was different then Charlotte. Sure there was an "area" where you could not go, but overall it was very safe. Here the difference is that there are still nice areas but there also seem to be more pockets of crime rather then the condensed places in Dallas. Maybe that was the biggest shock for me coming here and my attitude towards some of Charlotte was how the crime is spread out.
Would you say in Dallas - crime was saturated in one pocket/area? I am familiar w/ Dallas but moreso w/ 'burbs than Dallas proper. Were you actually in Dallas or one of the burbs (Plano, Frisco, Grapevine, etc) I felt totally safe in those burbs of Dallas but I never really spent much time in other areas of he city - than right downtown.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM

672 posts, read 1,222,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Would you say in Dallas - crime was saturated in one pocket/area? I am familiar w/ Dallas but moreso w/ 'burbs than Dallas proper. Were you actually in Dallas or one of the burbs (Plano, Frisco, Grapevine, etc) I felt totally safe in those burbs of Dallas but I never really spent much time in other areas of he city - than right downtown.
My husband used to work downtown at times in Dallas and besides from the commute, it was quite safe. We had spent a lot of time when we first moved to TX in the west end area but over the years that started to deteriorate and was no longer family friendly. As far as Dallas goes, Oak Cliff was definitely an area where you NEVER wanted to be b/c of the crime. We lived in West Frisco and always felt very safe. I know there was problems with crime in Plano but it really had not spread into Frisco. There were isolated incidents though and I guess the bottome line is I didn't feel like I had to look over my shoulder in Frisco as I sometimes have to do here. It was just a different way of life over there. In my opinion a better place to raise a family. And all the restaurants were an added bonus too

Old 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,746,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think she will be pleasantly surprised to see how civil the conversation has remained

Okay, to recap...

I think we all agree there is crime in Charlotte.

I think we all agree not all of Charlotte is riddled with crime.

I think we all agree that while there are many places in Charlotte who have never experienced the crime spike nkjaws neighborhood is experiencing, her problem is real.

And finally, I think we have identified the main reason for the problem nkjaws is experiencing in her section of Steele Creek - subprime fallout and foreclosures too near her very nice neighborhood.

Did I forget anything???
Judging by the late hours of some of these posts, I'd say sleep was the one thing forgotten.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:04 PM

45,121 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Judging by the late hours of some of these posts, I'd say sleep was the one thing forgotten.
I've been yawning all day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte