U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:41 PM

189 posts, read 525,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
same here. Im without out a garage and hate it. Part of the price or living in an older neighborhood. We still might build a garage, but its questionable whether we can or not. I used to keep my baby (bmw) spotless but now its a daily victim of the elements.
Gotta keep the beemer clean. Get a garage Mine is always garaged!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:13 AM

549 posts, read 2,187,254 times
Smile Another take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Concord had four murders this year, more than all of last year. A 17 year old boy, a 17 year old girl, a 39 year old man and a 59 year old man. I watch the news at night and you see that the Charlotte police are kept extremely busy. Just google "Charlotte NC Crime" and read away. Find a Charlotte news station that streams online and listen. On top of that, there's either part of the police or something that's headed to DC to try to get some assistance to curb the rising crime rate in Charlotte (and late last year the Charlotte police was working with the FBI on a study as to why crime is steadfastly on the rise). Between the high crime and the out of control illegal immigrant problem here (NC is ranked 8th in the country in the highest amount of undocumented immigrants stat), by no means would I consider Charlotte a "safe" city. Keep in mind that Concord's pretty much spitting distance from Charlotte. Concord's a beautiful area in spots, but given it's proximity to Charlotte...well...with everything I've mentioned here, you figure it out.

Heck, just click this link http://www.crimeincharlotte.com/ .
Hello

Honestly it feels that the "illegal aliens" are always being spacegoated and blamed for alot of problems in Charlotte and the rest of the country. "They are the problem bla bla!" so they say. Yet when I talk to them in Spanish most of the time they work more than 60 hours a week in construction building all those "nouve riche" supersized estates or highrises that have mushroomed all over Charlotte. Without their cheap labor the city would of not grown so fast. They are also blamed for taking jobs, but most of the jobs they get are the ones with safety hazzards. Not the kind of job more Americans want to get. Most indocumented immgrants are worried about sending money home to their loved ones and trying to provide the basics to their family here. Deep down most of the immigrants after trying to survive are trying to achieve the "American Dream" most of us take for granted. And if they can't achieve it because of the language limitations and education then they try to give their children a better oportunity so they dont have to go through what they did. Let's not forget the US has been an immigrant nation. In the 19th century people from Ireland, Poland, Iriland, Italy etc were bashed by then Anglo-Saxon protestant majority. Things eventually calmed down when their children and grandchildren had become Americaned and became part of the mainstream in the 20th century. Which will happen again with Hispanics in another 40 years or so.

Even though my family has been in Charlotte for 3 generations starting with my grandmother I can tell you it was also not easy for her. There always been this Xenophobia, back then native Charlotteans would be very uncomfortable since she could not be easily defined as neither white nor black. With her fine features resembled that of a white woman mixed with a caramel complexion. On top of that English was not her native tongue; it was French creole and Spanish. When she spoke English with her little accent it would raise alot of eyebrows. The whole point of this little story about my granny, is that I can empthaize with the illegal immigrants since my family has been constantly "witchhunted" over the years by the establishment. Feeling that you don't belong and being constanly reminded of it every day. Is something I would give not even to my worst enemy. Yet despite all of the shortcomings over the years my relatives faced, we managed and survived.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 AM

478 posts, read 1,878,382 times
What is being 'spacegoated'? I'm not familiar with that term. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:53 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post

Hello

Honestly it feels that the "illegal aliens" are always being spacegoated and blamed for alot of problems in Charlotte and the rest of the country. "They are the problem bla bla!" so they say. Yet when I talk to them in Spanish most of the time they work more than 60 hours a week in construction building all those "nouve riche" supersized estates or highrises that have mushroomed all over Charlotte. Without their cheap labor the city would of not grown so fast. They are also blamed for taking jobs, but most of the jobs they get are the ones with safety hazzards. Not the kind of job more Americans want to get. Most indocumented immgrants are worried about sending money home to their loved ones and trying to provide the basics to their family here. Deep down most of the immigrants after trying to survive are trying to achieve the "American Dream" most of us take for granted. And if they can't achieve it because of the language limitations and education then they try to give their children a better oportunity so they dont have to go through what they did. Let's not forget the US has been an immigrant nation. In the 19th century people from Ireland, Poland, Iriland, Italy etc were bashed by then Anglo-Saxon protestant majority. Things eventually calmed down when their children and grandchildren had become Americaned and became part of the mainstream in the 20th century. Which will happen again with Hispanics in another 40 years or so.

Even though my family has been in Charlotte for 3 generations starting with my grandmother I can tell you it was also not easy for her. There always been this Xenophobia, back then native Charlotteans would be very uncomfortable since she could not be easily defined as neither white nor black. With her fine features resembled that of a white woman mixed with a caramel complexion. On top of that English was not her native tongue; it was French creole and Spanish. When she spoke English with her little accent it would raise alot of eyebrows. The whole point of this little story about my granny, is that I can empthaize with the illegal immigrants since my family has been constantly "witchhunted" over the years by the establishment. Feeling that you don't belong and being constanly reminded of it every day. Is something I would give not even to my worst enemy. Yet despite all of the shortcomings over the years my relatives faced, we managed and survived.
I have sympathy for legal immigrants trying to play on the up and up who are lumped into everything else. I have no sympathy for immigrants who are here and not playing by the rules. The "American Dream" doesn't include flying under the radar by not paying taxes and taking advantage of services that those who were born in this country and legal immigrants are paying for. Here's a recent article...

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-031607-jmn-immigration_court.1b27048e.html (broken link)

15 percent of the jail beds in Mecklenburg county are being taken up by illegal immigrants. They are adding to the crime problem in North Carolina. It's got nothing to do with people here legally, there are people in the Charlotte area who are here illegally and committing violent crime.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 AM

146 posts, read 586,972 times
Default cms schools

Last semester, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools reported the following:

* CMPD responded to over 1,300 calls for service at CMS schools
* 157 incidents of students possessing a weapon on school grounds
* 22 kids were caught with guns in school
* 25 assaults on school personnel
* 15 sexual offenses
* 7 sexual assaults
* 4 assaults resulting in serious injury
* 2 robberies with a dangerous weapon

This is a total of 232 incidents I would consider serious offenses; however, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system only expelled 2 of these students!

Old 03-19-2007, 08:09 AM
NDL

3,140 posts, read 3,614,894 times
Quote:
[font="Times New Roman"]

They are also blamed for taking jobs, but most of the jobs they get are the ones with safety hazzards. Not the kind of job more Americans want to get.
Like Police Officers and Firefighters?

Quote:
[font="Times New Roman"]
Most indocumented immgrants are worried about sending money home to their loved ones
Monies that undocumented immigrants send home, count for the third greatest source of monies flowing into Mexico. You don't think that that loss of monies, negatively affects America?

Quote:
[font="Times New Roman"]
and trying to provide the basics to their family here. Deep down most of the immigrants after trying to survive are trying to achieve the "American Dream" most of us take for granted. And if they can't achieve it because of the language limitations and education then they try to give their children a better oportunity so they dont have to go through what they did.
Of course it's admirable that people are working hard, to achieve the American Dream. It might not happen for many, but not because of educational limitations. Prior to 1965, America had an immigration policy that caused an 'ebb and flow' of immigration, thereby supplying, for short periods of time, cheap labor. At the same time, adjustments were made during certain years to curtail immigration, thereby cutting off the supply of abundant labor; thus causing a rise in wages - a clear pathway to achieving the American Dream.

Post 1965, and especially from the 90's until present, America is flooded with an abundant, and never ending source, of labor - keeping wages low.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:43 PM

227 posts, read 219,894 times
believe me, its the worst part of where i live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Gotta keep the beemer clean. Get a garage Mine is always garaged!

Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 AM

549 posts, read 2,187,254 times
Hello people,

I don't think they want sympathy, most immigrants find that fake attitude condescending. Having empathy towards people how are different is a much more noble quality to posses. I agree that it's not fair to lump the legal immigrants into that but by the same token alot of illegal immigrants are trying to make it and are not committing crimes. Just because they live in the crime infested shanty part of the city does not mean some don't have class or humility. In every socio economic group there are good and bad apples. It's just that the very rich have access to better lawyers when they commit crimes. I also noticed that the white police officers always assume immigrants are up to no good and lock them up. One day I was coming out of the Sally Beauty supply on South BLVD and a young Salvadorian man in his late teens asked me for directions. While we spoke in Spanish two white police officers came up to us thinking we were doing something bad. They assumed I was also illegal because they overheard me speaking fluent Spanish. When I answered him in English there was an attitude adjustment. He then told me I was a nice girl and not to be around people like that. That really infuriated and made me sad. Why should I ignore a person? I like to help people in whichever way I can.

I travel internationaly a few times a year and since the war started I have seen the dollar's worth go down considerably. The Canadien dollar is about equal now. One USD equals 0.75 Euros cents and the british currency is worth double. It's the reason why so many Britons are coming to the US cities like NYC to shop. For them everything is almost half off. It scares me that the US economy is shaky. Blaming illegal immigrants for all the ills we face as a nation is unfair. There are more reasons why things are the way they are.

I think globalization with all of its treaties has changed things drastically. Demographics are changing rapidly, the browing of america really makes some uncomfotable and the now majority will one day be a minority. And we as a society have not fully adapted fast enough for the new changes in store. Like for example China becoming another superpower and the effect it will have on the west. For a long time The United States had the upperhand. See I knew this would make me sort of "bump heads" with some of you. I bump heads all the time with my very conversative bourgeoisie family. It's not that I am a radical leftwing person it's just that over the years all the injustices really have made me question the status quo. Since I was in high school I have tried my very best to try to bridge the enormous yap between the establishment and the newly immigrant community.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:32 PM

39 posts, read 173,940 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
In my opinion, Charlotte tend to report every little movement in the city, unlike some other cities where certain crime isn't reported. What I find damaging is that out of all the crimes reported, 90% show that the crime was commited by a Black male between the ages of 14 - 40. That's an issue.

I think people who relocate think of nice weather and housing, but do not factor in the natives and their issues. Not just in Charlotte, but Atlanta too. People from the outside forget that there are other cities where people are poor, on drugs, high school drop outs, low wage earners, and just plain negative.

I feel Charlotte is such a pretty city, but the local politicians and officals appear to have given up on the natives, and are now catering to the new population. I think this is a mistake.

Just my 2 cents.
In my opinion I think you hit the nail on the head.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 PM

39 posts, read 173,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
For the last 6 years I have lived in a home WITHOUT a garage and have yet to be concerned in any way about my new car (3 years old now). The worst thing that has ever happened to it was the way it gets coated in thick yellow pollen every April I think you may be being a bit of an alarmist.
I appreciate honest dialog. I'm not trying to be an alarmist and I'm glad to hear that there has not been any incidents with your car. In Brooklyn. It's not the Pollen...It's the Pigeons.

They are very accurate when they drop their load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or