U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 11:02 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursela View Post
The stories that I have heard have made me very nervous. Are there alot of good places in Charlotte? We have five kids and planned on renting until we find a perfect home that fits our life style. What areas should I stay out of? Also does Charlotte have good job opportunities? My husband is a truck driver but he does not do over the road and I am a school bus driver.
There are many nice areas in Charlotte. How much do you plan to spend on rent or for a home?

Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,548,736 times
Yes, there are many safe places to live in Charlotte.

We have lived in Charlotte for 34 years. Our car has been rifled once when we forgot to lock it, our French doors broken into once when we forgot to turn on the alarm, and someone tried to mug my husband once when we were foolishly walking in a dark area uptown about 20 years ago before uptown was a safe place. On the other hand we've been robbed and mugged in other cities while on short visits. I'd say that we've been quite safe in Charlotte. Granted we do have an alarm with a warning posted in the yard. But we do travel a lot leaving our house empty with no garage to protect our cars. Furthermore we live in East Charlotte which is seen by the media and south Charlotteans to be a dangerous area. Young women walk their dogs past my house at midnight, I feed the fish in the pond in my backyard late at night and walk home from my friends' homes after 10:30pm. For years, I jogged every evening at 11:00 pm. As you can see, I really feel secure in Charlotte.

Last edited by BarbJ; 09-19-2007 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Error

Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,695 times
Default Feeling safe in Charlotte

I am getting ready to relocate from the DC metro area and if I survived here then I can survive in Charlotte. I am 53.
To the man whose wife was robbed while she was sleep et a burglar alarm and use it at night. Nobody in this day and age should keep anything in their car that they want to keep. Go to the bank in the day time. Gas up in the day time and lock your car when you get out. Get a GPS tracker if you get lost. Don't ask for direction and if you feel uneasy in an area move out. Learn to shop where you feel safe. There will always be "have nots" who want what you have. Don't be a victim!!!!!!!

I learned all this from living in DC. Take a page from this book. On the real side Charlotte needs a full time mayor and more police. The city need somebody' full attention. Expect that we will pay for better services in property taxes

Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM

33 posts, read 21,094 times
I find Charlotte to be a very safe place to reside. Sure , some areas are undesirable, but what metro areas dont? I feel safer here than in Boston, Providence, and several cities in CT. Yes, there is crime in Charlotte, but I feel the media blows it out of proportion..

Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM

382 posts, read 1,747,651 times
The news is doom and gloom. You hear about that bad stuff more often then you hear about the good stuff. The truth is Charlotte is a growing city and there is crime in every city. You can't expect it to be perfect. I feel safe here, but I'm smart about what areas I go into. I'm not afraid to drive through areas, but I know where to stop for gas and where to avoid.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:32 PM

332 posts, read 867,368 times
honestly i been to charlotte the good area and the bad and i think some of the media is to blame for this dark cloud!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:34 PM

332 posts, read 867,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauden View Post
I am getting ready to relocate from the DC metro area and if I survived here then I can survive in Charlotte. I am 53.
To the man whose wife was robbed while she was sleep et a burglar alarm and use it at night. Nobody in this day and age should keep anything in their car that they want to keep. Go to the bank in the day time. Gas up in the day time and lock your car when you get out. Get a GPS tracker if you get lost. Don't ask for direction and if you feel uneasy in an area move out. Learn to shop where you feel safe. There will always be "have nots" who want what you have. Don't be a victim!!!!!!!

I learned all this from living in DC. Take a page from this book. On the real side Charlotte needs a full time mayor and more police. The city need somebody' full attention. Expect that we will pay for better services in property taxes
i am from the d.c. area and i know what you are saying about d.c. and i am ready to give charlotte a go.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,963,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
honestly i been to charlotte the good area and the bad and i think some of the media is to blame for this dark cloud!
When you go to the ATM at night, who do you look over your shoulder for? The media?

I think the blame lies elsewhere.

(Adapted from Chris Rock.)

Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,600,696 times
You know crime is bad in a metro area when they have bars on the lower floor windows of homes.

You will not find that here.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:41 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,789,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You know crime is bad in a metro area when they have bars on the lower floor windows of homes.

You will not find that here.
True. When we would bring our friends from WNY to Detroit with us they were like "There are bars on the windows of the homes here?..." Plus the thick block glass for basement windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or