Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,907 times

Advertisements

I was wondering about day trips from Charlotte. Are there any cute towns surronding Charlotte with main streets to walk around and check out shops and restaurants? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:38 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Oh absolutely!

Waxhaw.
Salisbury (I recommend Richards' in town or Darrells' in Rockwell)
Newton.
Albemarle.
If you go to Shelby, eat at Bridges BBQ.
Boone.
Lake Lure.
Asheville.
Mount Airy (Mayberry from Andy Griffith).

NC is packed with small town fun daytrips from CLT.

There are tons more, and I am sure others will weigh in...

Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
The 1927 inn at lake lure does a nice Sunday brunch for $16.95, love going to Lake lure on a nice day.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:33 AM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
The 1927 inn at lake lure does a nice Sunday brunch for $16.95, love going to Lake lure on a nice day.
Do you know what's up with the ghost story about this inn?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:03 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times
Another...Blowing Rock, which you could see the same day as Boone.
Closer to Charlotte, but fun to check out are Belmont and Davidson. Have fun!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:19 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
There are several places I would recommend, it all depends on your definition of a day trip...

These places are a 20 to 30 minute drive depending on where you live...
Downtown Concord - Very underrated IMO, lots of little shops and resturants, probably much more of an eclectic place than most would expect

Downtown Salisbury - Surprisingly bustling place. Also has several shops and resturants

The Triad is a 1 hour to 1 hour and half drive, of course depending on where you live...
Old Salem (Winston-Salem) - Kind of like Williamsburg, VA with a historic district of costumed "villagers" set in the 1700's.
website: Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home (http://www.oldsalem.org/index.php?id=1 - broken link)

Downtown Winston-Salem (Arts District) - Not much here, but nice places to eat after visiting Old Salem
website: DADA - The Downtown Arts District Association of Winston - Salem

Downtown Greensboro (South Elm/Old Greensborough District) - Another nice place to consider grabing something to eat after a visit to Old Salem

Downtown Greenville, SC - They have a great downtown with tons of little shops and resturants. There's also a nice park called Falls Park
Greenville: Falls Park, Greenville, SC (http://www.fallspark.com/index_content.html - broken link)
Falls Park: Greenville's Downtown (http://www.greenvillesc.gov/development/dtn_map.asp - broken link)

And as mullman said, there's what I call the ultimate day trip from Charlotte, and that's Asheville, NC. They have one of the nicest downtown areas in the Carolinas (along with Charleston, SC). Its about a 2 hour drive. I've been there for just a day several times, but some folks might not consider that a day trip.
Asheville: Explore Asheville, NC | Asheville, NC's Official Tourism Web Site

Old 02-14-2009, 12:24 PM

58 posts, read 138,365 times
Blowing Rock and Highlands...Highlands is probably a bit far but can be done.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:25 PM

513 posts, read 2,111,008 times
Highlands is about 4 hours. 8 hours of driving is too far for me for a day trip! I have done Blowing Rock in a day. Loved Blowing Rock and vicinity. Also Asheville.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Childress Vineyards

If you're up towwards Lexington, might I suggest the Childress Winery.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ering14 View Post
I was wondering about day trips from Charlotte. Are there any cute towns surronding Charlotte with main streets to walk around and check out shops and restaurants? Thanks
You want to definitely go to Black Mountain

Black Mountain North Carolina: Black Mountain - Swannanoa Chamber of Commerce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte