U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 AM

362 posts, read 898,149 times

Advertisements

Markh
We got 8 inches where I am. The first 5 wasn't so bad, the last 3 that came overnight was hail so we had to break it up before we could even shovel it. FUN, FUN, FUN. All I kept saying to my husband was just one more winter to go. Hopefully by summer '08 we will be there, because WE ARE SO DONE!
Enjoy your Spring, as you know we have weeks to go before we get there.

P.S. always enjoy reading your posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 12:39 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
.....I have to say though the scenery here is spectacular! Those white trees and the purple starting to pop up here and there. I'm in love with the lushness of the area.
Wait a few weeks when you car "turns" yellow and your eyes water and you're coughing and/or sneezing.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,460,862 times
I moved here about five years ago and I love the area. I moved from a town that time has forgot. Put it this way the town still has a Roses dept store LOL>
Some of things I like about the lake norman area is the quality of life.

The subdivisions are quiet and commute isn’t that bad if you know the back roads when main highways are congested. Far as the lake itself it can be crowded around the main arteries but I try to avoid those spots. I may regret saying this but Mountain Island lake has a lot less traffic and great place to even take a kayak out.

One thing I wish the lake did provide is a place for someone on foot to actually enjoy the view of the lake besides going to a boat landing. Maybe turn part of blithe landing into a boardwalk with shops similar to Fishermans wharf in S.F

Far as shopping Wallyworld (walmart) there one off mt holly Huntersville rd and 16 that never been crowded every time I been there and a lot cleaner.

I like newness of lake area so maybe that is why I like it here a area that is progressing. There is non chain restaurants you just have to look for them.

Davidson has done a great job keeping the old style feel in it downtown area. And Huntersville a former farm town brick making place once a population of 1000 in lake 80's is only progressing to the future. I feel safe in the area and that is extremely important to me. I know of several people who don’t lock their doors and I think that is insane no matter where you are located but it does give you idea of quality of life the area provides

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-19-2007 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-19-2007, 01:29 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,659,550 times
Well I give people what I feel is the truth about certain areas. Some is good news some is bad news. If anyone tries to telll me that traffic, overcrowding is not an issue in the Lake Norman area, I respectfully, and completely disagree with you.

People that move here or anywhere for that matter want to think that they made a good decision and everyone hates to hear "I told you so". Its a risk to some degree to anyone who packs up and moves to a different state.

There are plenty of good areas in the Carolinas to live, I just feel the need to remind people that other places exist besides the Raleigh or the Charlotte areas.

Maybe some like the idea of so many other people in a small area because they like people , so whenever they hear about traffic or overcrowding it only encourages them to move here, well...ok.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:03 AM

8 posts, read 84,360 times
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the help. I'm glad everyone gave their true opinions. That's what I was hoping for. I realize there is no perfect place and some prefer different lifestyles then others so thank you for being honest.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:02 AM

51 posts, read 126,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Okay, I'm ready for the darts to come flying for saying this. But if you come from an area where you have real lakes and real ocean, you're not going to be impressed. Manmade lakes just don't cut the mustard. But if you're in the middle of a southern state, and it's hot and humid, with no lakes, then ..... and you don't mind that power plant, then .... hey, go for it.

It's way overhyped; and I've driven around most of it and the areas in between. If I was going to spend $700,000+ on a home, it wouldn't be there jammed up next to all the other faux showplaces. It would be in an area that compliments and justifies the price. Just another urban sprawl marketing program, in a plain vanilla overdeveloped area.
Well stated!

Old 05-05-2007, 06:27 AM

286 posts, read 668,464 times
Smile I lived in Broward County, FL now in Huntersville !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Sheesh, settle down killer. I am basing this off my little one's schools in our area and comparing it to where we came from in FL. Sure, there are better schools out there in this world, but the reviews that I have read and the feedback from our friends and neighbors on the schools around Lake Norman seem to be pretty darn good.

If your biggest gripe is kids learning in trailers/portables, alot of kids in the classroom, and being there early, then you are doing alot better than most of the nation. I'd be more concerned about fights, crime, unconcerned parents, poor teachers, little or no funding, etc.

Try out Broward County FL for a few years and tell me what ya think about Lake Norman area schools..

I have lived in Broward County in Florida now living in Huntersville. I understand where he is coming from. Every city has there pro's and con's. The quality of life is alot better here in the lake Norman then Broward County in Florida. But the roads are so much better in Broward County, FL
not 2 lines roads here. The schools were bad in broward county too but a least they have many of them.

Its a trade off there is some good things from Broward County and good things from lake norman . the people so far has been 100 % nicer in Lake Norman area vs Broward county, Fl. Why do you think everywhere is relocated here.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:02 AM

876 posts, read 3,480,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennise View Post
I have lived in Broward County in Florida now living in Huntersville. I understand where he is coming from. Every city has there pro's and con's. The quality of life is alot better here in the lake Norman then Broward County in Florida. But the roads are so much better in Broward County, FL
not 2 lines roads here. The schools were bad in broward county too but a least they have many of them.

Its a trade off there is some good things from Broward County and good things from lake norman . the people so far has been 100 % nicer in Lake Norman area vs Broward county, Fl. Why do you think everywhere is relocated here.
Ah, finally, someone who can relate! I agree the roads were better in Broward, but I could honestly care less how long it takes me to get to Target, Wal-mart, or wherever. I just go to those stores during times that I know traffic isn't bad. Problem solved.

Schools.. oh the schools! Browards schools are horrid. You can have 10 of them in a mile radius and it wont matter, I'd still pay for my kids to go to private school in Broward, hands down.

Glad someone out there feels were I am coming from...

Old 09-30-2007, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,866 times
My wife and I live in Birkdale Village near Lake Norman. Although this is the land of suburbia at least the city and county here are tryingto be progressive with developments like Birkdale Village, Bryton, the Light Rail, Green Ways, etc. Having moved from Germany, we like living here but it will take time before this area develops character beyond the initial influx of Big Box Stores and Chain Franchises. Eventually the migration to Charlotte from the North East, California, and Overseas will generate its own culture here and we look forward to helping that develop. We post a blog on new developments in the Lake Norman area if anyone is interested in checking it out: Village of Birkdale.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,809 times
Have been reading all comments from new people to LKN (Lake Norman). LKN may not be heaven on earth, but I have traveled all over the country and the reason that I came back here is because it is the only place I know where we have mountains 2 hours away and coast 4 hours the other. The area has 2 major lakes and 1 small lake within 30 minutes drive time in any direction. I grew up on LKN and remember riding in aluminum boat for hours and not seeing a house anywhere. Even though you can ride for hours now and not see a piece of land that does not have a house, it is still the best place to live in the southeast. You can complain about the traffic, strip malls and schools but if you don't like the weather, please fill free to move back to where you came from, because if you really don't like it here, the roads would be a lot less crowded without you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or