U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,909,689 times

Advertisements

There was an old lady who SWALLOWED a fly!!! I don't know why she swallowed the fly. Perhaps she'll die!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 01:08 PM

9,905 posts, read 9,261,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
On the positive side, we don't think there's any dead animal carcasses here causing the fly problem since we'd probably smell something "off" if that were the case!
Darn ... I was hoping for some sort of mystery ... Jimmy Hoffa's body or something Stephen King could write about!

A little bit of spray should take care of their warm resting place. I sure hope you get rid of the pests.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,661,341 times
I see three issues here.

You have the current situation about the flies in your condo, you can take care of them a numbers of ways as others have suggested. Your bigger problem is the underlying issue of why you have flies inside your condo. Regardless of weather you should not have them INSIDE, and this is a health hazard. Flies can carry diseases too. Please note, just because you cannot smell anything does not mean there is no issue. Have a profressional come out, possibly on your dime. I think the final issue is your rental unit/landlord. What does your rental Agreement state? Normally in a condo, apt type situation the landlord has certain responsabilities, review your agreement and find out. Can you get out of your lease? Do you want to get out of your lease. Note that an unkept rental place, such as what you describe is in most cases a default in the rental agreement and must be cured by either party. In this case it could be the landlord.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 AM

124 posts, read 414,895 times
Did you ever solve this problem? We closed on our home in January and the past 3 months or so we've had an indoor fly problem. I can kill 5 or 6 and 3 more will show up in the next 15 minutes. I just came home from being out for the morning and had 15 of them flying around! I've tried to call an exterminator but they tell me they can't guarantee getting rid of them if they don't know where they're coming from. I'm about at the end of my rope.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 AM

693 posts, read 1,952,260 times
Try another exterminator... sounds like you may have something dead in the wall/crawlspace/vent/ attic etc...and since its not that uncommon a problem someone should have a way of locating the source.

Also pick up a cheap stethoscope...you may be able to hear the flies in the wall.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM

873 posts, read 1,535,605 times
The key to any kind of fly control is to find the breeding site / source. A GOOD exterminator will identify the species of fly. That will tell him/her where to look for the breeding site. Then you simply eliminate the breeding area and the flies will be gone. If all you do is kill the adults, you'll never get control of them. Pesticide is not the first order of business when dealing with flies!!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,791 times
I lived in a rental property in the past that had the same problem. Tons of flies!!! I did everything to get rid of them. Spray, paper etc. and they kept coming back in the hundreds every day. I had to vaccuum every day because they were everywhere and just in one room. I finally moved because it was so nasty. If you really like the place where you are living you should call an exterminator to get to the bottom of the problem and it might take a couple of visits. I would also allert your landlord. I bet the problem existed before you moved in. I wish you luck.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 PM

256 posts, read 1,042,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie09 View Post
Been renting this third floor condo with a roommate since Dec 1st (roommate moved in here earlier in mid-October.) It's in a very upscale South Charlotte location near the Southpark Mall so I've been shocked that there's so many FLIES inside this place every day! And it's not even summer weather, it's been autumn & winter! Shouldn't these flies be dead?!! And could it get even worse by Spring & Summer?

It feels embarassing if other people are over here, never had this problem anywhere else I've lived. No problem at all with any other insects here except the flies & we keep the place clean, in the kitchen too, not like we have lots of food garbage around! (We're NOT young, inexperienced renters or college students, we're both over 40, know how to keep house!) But every morning there's at least 4 or 5 or more flies on the living rm/dining rm windows. We keep killing them & they keep coming back!

I relocated to Charlotte from NY State almost a year ago & know there's different insects/insect problems in the South & they can be much worse during the summer. But I NEVER had flies in either of the two previous places where I lived here in Charlotte-- including a different 3rd fl condo in this same complex! The current unit I'm in faces a wooded area and in addition, there's lots of trees surrounding each window-- could that contribute to this problem? But we don't leave the doors or windows open & the windows are all screened so WHERE ARE THESE FLIES COMING FROM? IT'S A MYSTERY! Are they entering thru small openings along the windows/doors? Getting in thru the upper attic crawlspace? or thru the ancient stove hood in the kitchen? Hey, are they breeding/multiplying in the walls???

Just getting opinions here -- flies might not be the worst bugs to deal with (bees, wasps, hornets or cockroaches would be worse!) & they mainly stay right on the windows, don't even find them in the kitchen where you'd think they'd be, but I'd like to stop swatting & killing these flies every day!

BTW, this condo complex was built approx. 20 yrs old & the landlord has owned this unit since the beginning, rents it out along with 20 other different investment properties he has in the Charlotte area. Since this has been a rental unit rather than owner-occupied, it's kind of "worn-out", hasn't been renovated or updated hardly at all, even the kitchen & bathrooms (think they're the original appliances!) especially compared to other condos I've seen in this complex. Since this unit hasn't been as "well-maintained" as others here, could this be part of the cause of the fly problem?

Think the lack of updating is partly why we got a lower rental price for this compared to similar units in this upscale area. We know for a fact that the landlord lowered his rental price twice in his ads before we saw the place. Apparently, he only got serious interest from renters after those price reductions and we thought we were lucky to rent it for $200 less than his original price. (Beforehand, we had seen a few other nearby places which were priced higher, so we were familiar with this area's rental rates & thought we were getting a good deal despite the lack of updates. We also thought the local economic situation, which was starting to worsen around that time, was benefitting us by lowering rental prices.) Maybe we should have been suspicious about the $200 price drop & stayed away? But I don't remember seeing any flies or evidence of an insect problem at all when we first looked at the place while it was empty! In fact, during our second viewing of this condo, the landlord even let us stay inside the unit to examine it more thoroughly after he had to leave-- that adds to what makes this so perplexing! -- think we would've noticed evidence of flies at that time, wouldn't we?

So with the lower rent we're paying & how over-extended with other properties this landlord is, feel like he wouldn't do anything to fix the fly situation here, would probably consider it very minor! In fact, when we first saw the place & pointed out some other things we thought should be repaired, mainly in the bathrooms, he said sure, he'd get to those things but of course, once we paid the rent/deposit & signed the 12-month lease, he didn't bother doing anything else! Feel like we're "under his thumb." (I've always felt that having a year-long lease benefits a landlord more than a tenant, feel like I'm stuck here now, prefer renting month-to-month renting which I had previously here in Charlotte & for years in Buffalo NY, gives you more freedom to move out with just 30 days notice if you're dissatisfied!!)

And maybe the landlord would accuse us of bringing these flies with us?? I know it wasn't me, but my roommate brought lots of potted plants from his previous apt -- could that be the cause of the flies? (but he never had a "fly" problem in his previous place!)

Are these flies a common indoor problem in the Charlotte area? Anyone else have this situation? And since we'll first try to fix this problem ourselves, any good suggestions to get rid of them? Don't want to spray bug spray! I seem to remember a previous landlord had these "plug-in insect repellers"(?) & I never had any insect problems in that apt. Been seeing something like that in ads on TV but maybe these are more expensive than we need? Haven't yet looked in stores for these products. Does anyone know: do these plug-in insect repellents actually work? (they give off electric signals?) and are they worth the money? Suggestions for best types to buy, best places to buy? Any help with this would be appreciated!
We own a home in South Charlotte (Ballantyne area) and we are killing 5 to 6 flies a day! What's up?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 AM

873 posts, read 1,535,605 times
I know this will sound silly, but can you post a good close-up picture of one of the flies?? Perhaps I can identify it and help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
We own a home in South Charlotte (Ballantyne area) and we are killing 5 to 6 flies a day! What's up?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,298,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
I know this will sound silly, but can you post a good close-up picture of one of the flies?? Perhaps I can identify it and help you out.
We have a fly problem too. At first it wasnt so bad. Then she started demanding Perrier and Godiva chocolates. It has become very aggrevating. Below is a photo (really not as hard to take as I thought it would be- seems she loves to pose!). Any suggestions??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte