U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:05 PM

302 posts, read 1,506,874 times

Advertisements

Been renting this third floor condo with a roommate since Dec 1st (roommate moved in here earlier in mid-October.) It's in a very upscale South Charlotte location near the Southpark Mall so I've been shocked that there's so many FLIES inside this place every day! And it's not even summer weather, it's been autumn & winter! Shouldn't these flies be dead?!! And could it get even worse by Spring & Summer?

It feels embarassing if other people are over here, never had this problem anywhere else I've lived. No problem at all with any other insects here except the flies & we keep the place clean, in the kitchen too, not like we have lots of food garbage around! (We're NOT young, inexperienced renters or college students, we're both over 40, know how to keep house!) But every morning there's at least 4 or 5 or more flies on the living rm/dining rm windows. We keep killing them & they keep coming back!

I relocated to Charlotte from NY State almost a year ago & know there's different insects/insect problems in the South & they can be much worse during the summer. But I NEVER had flies in either of the two previous places where I lived here in Charlotte-- including a different 3rd fl condo in this same complex! The current unit I'm in faces a wooded area and in addition, there's lots of trees surrounding each window-- could that contribute to this problem? But we don't leave the doors or windows open & the windows are all screened so WHERE ARE THESE FLIES COMING FROM? IT'S A MYSTERY! Are they entering thru small openings along the windows/doors? Getting in thru the upper attic crawlspace? or thru the ancient stove hood in the kitchen? Hey, are they breeding/multiplying in the walls???

Just getting opinions here -- flies might not be the worst bugs to deal with (bees, wasps, hornets or cockroaches would be worse!) & they mainly stay right on the windows, don't even find them in the kitchen where you'd think they'd be, but I'd like to stop swatting & killing these flies every day!

BTW, this condo complex was built approx. 20 yrs old & the landlord has owned this unit since the beginning, rents it out along with 20 other different investment properties he has in the Charlotte area. Since this has been a rental unit rather than owner-occupied, it's kind of "worn-out", hasn't been renovated or updated hardly at all, even the kitchen & bathrooms (think they're the original appliances!) especially compared to other condos I've seen in this complex. Since this unit hasn't been as "well-maintained" as others here, could this be part of the cause of the fly problem?

Think the lack of updating is partly why we got a lower rental price for this compared to similar units in this upscale area. We know for a fact that the landlord lowered his rental price twice in his ads before we saw the place. Apparently, he only got serious interest from renters after those price reductions and we thought we were lucky to rent it for $200 less than his original price. (Beforehand, we had seen a few other nearby places which were priced higher, so we were familiar with this area's rental rates & thought we were getting a good deal despite the lack of updates. We also thought the local economic situation, which was starting to worsen around that time, was benefitting us by lowering rental prices.) Maybe we should have been suspicious about the $200 price drop & stayed away? But I don't remember seeing any flies or evidence of an insect problem at all when we first looked at the place while it was empty! In fact, during our second viewing of this condo, the landlord even let us stay inside the unit to examine it more thoroughly after he had to leave-- that adds to what makes this so perplexing! -- think we would've noticed evidence of flies at that time, wouldn't we?

So with the lower rent we're paying & how over-extended with other properties this landlord is, feel like he wouldn't do anything to fix the fly situation here, would probably consider it very minor! In fact, when we first saw the place & pointed out some other things we thought should be repaired, mainly in the bathrooms, he said sure, he'd get to those things but of course, once we paid the rent/deposit & signed the 12-month lease, he didn't bother doing anything else! Feel like we're "under his thumb." (I've always felt that having a year-long lease benefits a landlord more than a tenant, feel like I'm stuck here now, prefer renting month-to-month renting which I had previously here in Charlotte & for years in Buffalo NY, gives you more freedom to move out with just 30 days notice if you're dissatisfied!!)

And maybe the landlord would accuse us of bringing these flies with us?? I know it wasn't me, but my roommate brought lots of potted plants from his previous apt -- could that be the cause of the flies? (but he never had a "fly" problem in his previous place!)

Are these flies a common indoor problem in the Charlotte area? Anyone else have this situation? And since we'll first try to fix this problem ourselves, any good suggestions to get rid of them? Don't want to spray bug spray! I seem to remember a previous landlord had these "plug-in insect repellers"(?) & I never had any insect problems in that apt. Been seeing something like that in ads on TV but maybe these are more expensive than we need? Haven't yet looked in stores for these products. Does anyone know: do these plug-in insect repellents actually work? (they give off electric signals?) and are they worth the money? Suggestions for best types to buy, best places to buy? Any help with this would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 03:05 PM

999 posts, read 4,258,432 times
I know that before I moved here I never even owned a fly swatter, now I have about 5 of them, one in the garage, bedroom, kitchen, laundry room, living room. So that when we get a line on one of the buggers we have ammo ready to swat them. They had been gone for a bit, but got our first one of "spring" this week.
Sorry, no help here, only sympathy.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:08 PM

314 posts, read 1,026,708 times
Perhaps there's a dead body in the walls. Call CSI.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,065,615 times
Seems strange....

1) Have you spoken to the landlord?

2) What about the neighbors? Do they have similar problems?

3) Have you called an exterminator?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:19 PM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Go to a dollar store & get a package of fly strips. They are little canisters that contain fly paper.

Hang them up in areas where sunlight will hit them part of the day & check them occasionally.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,469,751 times
Flies aren't typically found inside the house unless someone left a door open or a window unscreened. Fruit flies can come in in a bag of onions. The ways to deal with them as suggested by the other posters make sense.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
You do have a problem ... flies are not around this time of year ... if so they seek a warm place and they sort of slow down in their flying during cold weather.

Unfortunately ... this is gross but ... maggots ... flies lay eggs ...maggots hatch ... and flies come from maggots ... you seem to have something dead or rotten somewhere as flies will lay their eggs in that matter, eggs hatch and you have maggots that grow into flies ... you really really need to contact the landlord, an exterminator or the health department as this is not normal. It is so nasty that you have to live there with fly infestation. You can purchase the fly paper, fly swatters and that plug-in insect thing didn't work for our daughter. But there is an underlying problem that has to be eliminated to get rid of the flies.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:38 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,452,467 times
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. You need to call someone right away. I'd start today.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
I'd put up the flypaper strips 1st. One will get more than others & that might pinpoint the source.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,653,155 times
Quote:
I NEVER had flies in either of the two previous places where I lived here in Charlotte-- including a different 3rd fl condo in this same complex! The current unit I'm in faces a wooded area and in addition, there's lots of trees surrounding each window-- could that contribute to this problem? But we don't leave the doors or windows open & the windows are all screened so WHERE ARE THESE FLIES COMING FROM? IT'S A MYSTERY! Are they entering thru small openings along the windows/doors? Getting in thru the upper attic crawlspace? or thru the ancient stove hood in the kitchen? Hey, are they breeding/multiplying in the walls???
I agree with the others - you need to identify where the flies are coming from. That isn't normal! Please keep us updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
You can purchase the fly paper, fly swatters and that plug-in insect thing didn't work for our daughter. But there is an underlying problem that has to be eliminated to get rid of the flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte