Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Camping out for the IKEA opening on 02-18-09
Yes- Plan to / We did camp out 2 4.08%
No- I can wait till they open 43 87.76%
Wanted to, but couldn't. 2 4.08%
Didn't want to, but my car died near there, so I was stuck there for a week. 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,752 times

Advertisements

No. It'll be a few months before I decide to set foot in that store.

Don't get me wrong, though. With the advent of many stores closing this past year, I appreciate IKEA deciding to open its doors in Charlotte. You need to see the silver lining in the clouds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
I used to go to the Bonnaroo music festival in Tennessee some years back. Three days of camping on this huge farm area and over a hundred bands, many of them jambands, several of them big names in music (Dave Matthews, Neil Young, The Dead, Widespread Panic..). Paid decent money but the value was very high. Set up a tent, become one with the land, and have your mind blown by some amazing bands.

The idea of camping out for a wall unit or a shelf is so far beyond my scope...

Please...please don't... Maintain some sense of dignity...I beg of all of you...please don't do this to yourselves...any of you...

Old 02-15-2009, 09:12 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,101,861 times
no one voted D yet.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:00 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Shouldn't there be an option for, "I've got better things to do with my life than camp outside of a furniture store"?

Or......"I could care less about Ikeas put-together, particle-board, crappy furniture".

Old 02-15-2009, 11:17 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Or......"I could care less about Ikeas put-together, particle-board, crappy furniture".
that won't hold together unless one uses concrete.

Funny story. A tenant was moving out of one of my apartments. I met the moving men down at street level and asked him why he left several pcs. of furniture in the apt.
"Man, that's Ikea furniture. We don't move Ikea furn. since it will fall apart.Don't want to be held liable for busted up furniture."

Kinda like a 90 year old that can't be operated on b/c their heart will fail. LOL
j

Old 02-15-2009, 12:15 PM

267 posts, read 1,176,517 times
Quote:
Shouldn't there be an option for, "I've got better things to do with my life than camp outside of a furniture store"?
Would've put that option had it struck me. Then that would've been my choice instead of the No.

Quote:
The idea of camping out for a wall unit or a shelf is so far beyond my scope...
Mine too. I never realized ppl camp for a store opening. I was shocked when I saw the IKEA flyer few wks ago when it said camp no earlier than 16th. Camp? Crazy!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 PM

267 posts, read 1,176,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Feb 18th happens to be my birthday. I've been scratching my head for a few days for a way to celebate this day.Let me think of a few other ways I can flogg myself for getting this old before I answer the question. I'll get back to you.
You can celebrate and flog yourself by going to Ikea and getting a $10 gift card- if your b'day is on the 18th- same as theirs. Heard this from a neighbors daughter who can't wait to go get her free gift card. Btw, Happy Birthday in advance.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivant View Post
You can celebrate and flog yourself by going to Ikea and getting a $10 gift card- if your b'day is on the 18th- same as theirs. Heard this from a neighbors daughter who can't wait to go get her free gift card. Btw, Happy Birthday in advance.
Thanks Bon Vivant. Take my gift card as a reward for wishing me a Happy Birthday.
john

Old 02-15-2009, 12:49 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
that won't hold together unless one uses concrete.
Now I have to disagree here. I actually thought the same thing, but when DD went to a college that required she do several bouts of co-op and she would have to move around a lot we had to look for someting that would take the assembling and moving and reassembling many times. Over the course of 4 years she moved a minimum of 10 times and possibly more as I lost count after awhile. She had an Ikea bed with 3 underbed drawers and an Ikea desk, and both were put together and taken apart each and every time she moved and they both still are in excellent shape. The only thing we never took apart was the 3 drawers for under the bed. She has been out of college for almost 3 years and is still using the desk and loves it. The bed is now in our spare room, but when DD gets her new house she wants it to use in her new guest room. She also has a tall bookcase that is loaded with books and it has stood up very well.

No, it's not the absolute best quality in the world, but from our experience for the price it has worked out very well. For someone who can't afford high prices I would have no problem recommending it.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:09 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I am just happy to see some jobs for the locals here!! I'd buy a few items there just to keep the economy even just a tad better and to help to provide someone with a job hopefully! No, I will not camp out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte