Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Camping out for the IKEA opening on 02-18-09
Yes- Plan to / We did camp out 2 4.08%
No- I can wait till they open 43 87.76%
Wanted to, but couldn't. 2 4.08%
Didn't want to, but my car died near there, so I was stuck there for a week. 2 4.08%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,645,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I am just happy to see some jobs for the locals here!! I'd buy a few items there just to keep the economy even just a tad better and to help to provide someone with a job hopefully! No, I will not camp out!!

That sparked an idea in my pea brain.
How many out of work people that need a few xtra bux can think of ways to make money from this happening?

I'm not out of work but let me throw the first idea in:

Bringing homemade sanwiches, cookies, coffee to the campers at a good price.

I said one but one more please.

Passing out your resume to people that obviously are working or why would they need more furniture.

Anybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 02:03 PM

461 posts, read 980,458 times
I chose D. It's the closest fit for an employee.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:33 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,700,630 times
If they were giving away free Swedish meatballs with those delicious new potatoes w/lingonberry sauce...now THAT would be worth it!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,854,062 times
I can honestly say that I've got zero interest in going to IKEA. Went to the store in Dale City Va back in the 1990's and it didn't do a thing for me.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:55 PM

26 posts, read 110,303 times
For those of you who are camping out out Ikea, don't expect quality furniture. In the Chicagoland market, there are a few Ikea's. Once you go inside and examine the quality of the furniture, you will notice many flaws. Their merchandise is mass produced, made from particle board with a laminate finish. The clocks are cheaply made. The concept is nice as well as the appearance. The furnishings remind me of my college days. How can I furnish my dorm as cheaply as possible? I would say that Target and Ikea are very close in quality.

For those consumers whom live pay check to pay check, quality in not important, who is handy and can assemble cabinets, box shelves, and have $500 to furnish their entire house. There is the place for you.

For those who shop at Nordstroms and the like, you will be disappointed with the quality of the textiles, furniture, glassware, etc.....

In my opinion,, I would not wait in line to purchase a $99 arm chair. Chances are most, if not all, of the products are manufactured in China, Malaysia, or Korea.

Just food for thought!

Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 PM

852 posts, read 2,458,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey262 View Post
For those of you who are camping out out Ikea, don't expect quality furniture. In the Chicagoland market, there are a few Ikea's. Once you go inside and examine the quality of the furniture, you will notice many flaws. Their merchandise is mass produced, made from particle board with a laminate finish. The clocks are cheaply made. The concept is nice as well as the appearance. The furnishings remind me of my college days. How can I furnish my dorm as cheaply as possible? I would say that Target and Ikea are very close in quality.

For those consumers whom live pay check to pay check, quality in not important, who is handy and can assemble cabinets, box shelves, and have $500 to furnish their entire house. There is the place for you.

For those who shop at Nordstroms and the like, you will be disappointed with the quality of the textiles, furniture, glassware, etc.....

In my opinion,, I would not wait in line to purchase a $99 arm chair. Chances are most, if not all, of the products are manufactured in China, Malaysia, or Korea.

Just food for thought!
I have been a fan of Ikea for years - furnished my flat in London with it and bought some things for my big house here. When I first moved to Charlotte I nearly fell of my ikea stool when I saw the huge furniture that the locals love. And the price of a bed - wow - I had to lie down on my Ikea bed after seeing that in Charlotte it was hard to buy a bed that didn't have huge poles sticking out of it and had a box spring underneath. Ikea furniture isn't for everyone but if you like that type of swedish style and don't want to pay through the nose at Intro for the same then Ikea is for you. My friends love my bookcases with doors and always comment and yes they are from Ikea. Oh and the other thing is that I don't feel bad about giving away the family heirlooms when Habitat needs a chest of drawers. It might not be North Carolina style but who doesn't need a bit of Swedish in their life LOL

Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM

7,041 posts, read 14,962,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
How many out of work people that need a few xtra bux can think of ways to make money from this happening?

Passing out your resume to people that obviously are working or why would they need more furniture.

Anybody else?
GREAT IDEA, John!!!

Surely someone would be up for that??

Old 02-15-2009, 03:41 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,358,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post

Anybody else?
It'd be like Grateful Dead lot, Phish lot, or Widespread Panic lot... bring grilled cheese sandwiches, veggie burritos, and bottles of water. Walk around yelling, "One for three!!! Two for five!!!"

Old 02-16-2009, 06:29 AM

22,192 posts, read 29,207,240 times
Not camping out but will be going the 18th. I will be helping the CLT economy on this one.

My brother has a computer desk and a coffee table from Ikea. It's been almost 4 years and they are perfect.

Don't believe the hype of the crappy particle board furniture. Check it out for yourself!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,269,642 times
I generally like IKEA, but camping out 48 hrs for furniture is a bit silly IMHO.

I am the biggest Apple junkie, yet would not camp out for an iPhone or any Apple product (but did wait in line a few hours...twice).

It is all what you are into, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte