U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 7,272 times

Advertisements

Long-time lurker and business user of the site, but my first post. My wife, which I have been separated from for 2 months, recently came out of the closet and is having an affair with a much older woman. We have an amazing 16 month old girl that we have been sharing custody of but with the new information I am filing for full custody of her. From my research into NC laws, statutes & cases, it seems as though courts normally favor the heterosexual parent in these circumstances but I was hoping someone here might know how Mecklenburg Courts view this topic.

Thanks,
Stressed

Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,443,037 times
Are you going to file against her lover for alienation of affection?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,364,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Are you going to file against her lover for alienation of affection?
That law is soooo in need of being repealed or something.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:34 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,736,416 times
Let me get this straight...you want someone on here to help you take primary custody of your baby daughter away from her Mother only because you disagree with her choice in partner??

I wouldn't help you if I could and I hope the court gives you a reality check.

The pendulum is swinging the other way now that we have a Democrat in the Presidency. Its no longer vogue to mistreat people because of their choice of partner.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,587,975 times
Lindsey,

This person didn't ask someone on here to help him do anything. He simply asked if anyone had any experience or could offer information. Two things that you must realize is that the POTUS has much bigger issues to deal with than sexuality and the original poster is more concerned with his child than someone's extra curricular activities. When you grow up and learn that there are much larger issues here then you will only continue to be a part of the problem.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:31 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,667,547 times
Feel the need to chime in... I can imagine that losing your spouse must be heartbreaking under most circumstances but to then add in having to grasp the concept that the person you married is gay must be especially hard. I can also imagine that having to live a lie your whole life because you are ashamed of who you really are must be like self torture.

My final word is that the best thing you can do is find a way to accept your ex-wfe's life style and try to want happines for her now as you did when you married her. Try to have some empathy for her. If you can you may be able to raise a child who is healthy and happy. Other wise you risk tearing her in two.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:26 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,415,909 times
My advice.....find the best attorney you can find and don't ask anyone here. Seriously. Any legal advice you get here is worth exactly what you paid for it. Nothing.

My best guess is that it will all depend on the judge that day and how he/she is feeling. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,915,851 times
This must be an extremely stressful situation. Try to think about what is really truly best for your child, not how badly you want to punish your wife. But using the courts is far better than what you probably feel like doing.

As to the courts... (sorry, I can't help myself) maybe if you are lucky you will get Judge Belk to hear your case.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,047,873 times
Lindsey, this has nothing to do with being a democrat or a republican. Come on.

If my husband admited to an affair during our marriage I'd me mad as all get out. Add the details about a same sex affair I'd feel our entire life and marriage was a lie.

This is a question from a person struggling with a failed marriage. That's a difficult situation to navigate when the person doesn't cheat on you. Add the extras, increase the stress.

Hopefully, the op and their STBX work out what will be in the best interest of their child.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 AM

540 posts, read 1,519,986 times
signed::
"Thanks,
Stressed"
-what is this a dear abby column for homophobes? Who cares if your wife's gay, if she's a good parent (and that all you should care about) then she should have custody. Believe it or not, but little girls need their mommy's more than they need their daddy's...So stop being selfish and do what's best for your child!

Signed,
Amazed at the audacity of some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or