Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,717 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're looking to relocate from Long Island, NY to NC and we've just visited a bunch of subdivisions in the Weddington and Waxhaw area. After seeing a lot of different areas, we really fell in love with The Reserve in Waxhaw (with Millbridge and Lawson running an extremely close 2nd and 3rd right now). We want a family friendly neighborhood (I have a 7 year old girl and a 5 month old baby boy) with nice amenities, great schools and just good people. Our budget is $275K to $350K. We love what we saw at the Reserve but really want to get some feedback from people who might be able to share insights that you just don't get when you're coming from out of state and can only spend a few days looking at each area. Any thoughts/help would be so greatly appreciated. BTW: We both work from home so commuting into Charlotte is NOT a big issue for us.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:33 AM

285 posts, read 800,027 times
good luck.

We relo'd from NY last year. I believe all 3 are great areas. There is a brand new Shea home in Lawson at the top of your range that is really nice. and there are a ton of LI'ers in the neighborhood.

I don't know too much about the reserve

there are tons of posters that should be along that could help you out.

But feel free to dm me regarding any LI - NC questions

Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM

22 posts, read 46,800 times
I have some friends that live there and love it.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:32 PM

33 posts, read 78,086 times
Its an alright neighborhood, for the money buy Pulte (Chimneys) more bang for the buck!!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:45 PM

16 posts, read 25,726 times
If you are moving from LI to NC- you may not want Pulte homes..the quality isnt what you would see in NY even in the older homes of NY. I lived in NY prior to relocating to PA..now looking to relocate to NC after 15 yrs in PA. The Pulte homes are built fast and not great quality....Marvin Creek (Toll Brothers) great quality. Millbridge- firing range or sewer treatment facility with problems for what I have heard...from the locals..great priced homes. If I could afford-- Brookhaven homes- not the High Tension wire side..Orleans homes- fantastic quality-solid built...Pulte- cabinets (what they call Prem- are the low end you would find at Home Depot--not good quality). Horse fields across the street- but view of horse riders. Hope that was helpful.. The Reserves-- theres a home on Craiglist for sale..only 2 yrs old at the Reserves for around $295K..5bd or 4 bd..nice home....I like The Reserves...Look into the SAT scores for the Weddington School and the classroom size- the school is really over crowed- more than some of the CMS schools....great test scores- make sure the school isnt teaching the students to the state test...that would be false readings on the actual results of the schools. I gathered this knowledge by constantly traveling to the Charlotte area and a fantistic NYer agent who lives in Charlote now-- The Brookhaven homes-have a lot of Retired cops from NYC ..lolol..but very nice and welcoming feeling for NYers....more talkative then so in NY... :-)

Last edited by mzjokerjam; 02-15-2009 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 PM

62 posts, read 298,073 times
The only thing I don't like about The Reserve is the lots are pretty wide open. No privacy. Most of it was clear cut to start except the few homes around the edges. I would also check Sommerset and Hunter Oaks. Really good schools and still near everything.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 PM

27 posts, read 59,775 times
I live in Lawson and it's a great family neighborhood, lot's of kids. We are very happy here...

Old 02-16-2009, 04:43 PM

494 posts, read 1,348,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshow View Post
The only thing I don't like about The Reserve is the lots are pretty wide open. No privacy. Most of it was clear cut to start except the few homes around the edges. I would also check Sommerset and Hunter Oaks. Really good schools and still near everything.

It is also a great time to get a custom home in Providence Downs (where I live). I agree about the Reserve...they need some trees!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 PM

260 posts, read 675,541 times
My close friend lives in the Reserve and loves it. By the way, you are very fortunate that you and your husband work from home. Best of luck in your relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte