Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
This is depressing... I was so looking forward to moving someday someplace where I would not have a yard or exterior to maintain.
Both homes I have owned to date (in MD and here) are townhomes. In both I had both a great surround system in the media room and also have a full-blown stereo in the house as well. In both places, both have been utilized at decent levels (i.e. - not too quietly, and loud enough for my liking). I have never had a problem with complaints from neighbors in either place; nor have I had noise complaints about them.

So don't give up hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Well, you opened up the can of worms with regards to sound. If it's ok for you to complain, why isn't it ok for them to complain about you?

The joys of condos/townhouses! Thin walls and peachy neighbors who are up your butt like toilet paper.

You can try to complain to the HOA board, but you better expect them to fire right back at you. It's really best to just let it go and move on with your life. It could get REALLY ugly.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 382 times
The biggest problem is the inconsiderate neighbor. Here are two different responses to the same situation:
Response 1. downstairs neighbor complains of heavy feet of neighbors above. The upstairs neighbors agree to walk lightly. Done ! It works and everyone is happy. They live like this for 15 years until the downstairs neighbor has to move to be close to family in another state. I call this consideration, respect and true maturity.

Response 2- Same thing. Downstairs neighbor complains fo heavy feet of neighbors above. Upstairs neighbor says, "Why should I change my behavior for you ? " and continues walking heavily.

Same situation but with different responses. Well, I have had two cents of neighbors and they have responded int he same way. Both came from single family dwellings and bought condos, but they don't understand that when you live in such close proximity that you need to modify your behavior. They want total freedom but the lower cost of condos. I nearly had a nervous breakdown from this problem and after much agony, moving out into a hotel for a month to regain my sanity, I will be MOVING !!!

Old 04-28-2019, 07:21 PM

113 posts, read 127,678 times
How did you find this thread to resurrect after being dormant for 10 years?

Old 04-29-2019, 08:51 AM

334 posts, read 308,022 times
Sound suppression methods only work so good. You can drown out up to 75 percent of the unwanted noise in some cases but never all as sound travels through the ceilings and floors. I hate outside noise except for traffic for which I am used to. I keep a supply of air purification units (about $50 each) for the white noise that helps drown out noises. I sympathize with you and hope that you don't have to put up with footfall noise. That is why I left my last incredibly beautiful condo and moved into a house. Like an idiot, I took my wife's advice and bought a unit that wasn't on top. Good luck and save your money and get the hell out ASAP.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:57 AM

334 posts, read 308,022 times
Touche! Minnow101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte