U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM

161 posts, read 369,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ONLY NERDS with NERD PARENTS WILL EVEN ATTEND school that day.

Do not embarrass your child be making him or her go. The "system" could have given you a day when attendance mattered. They did not. They gave you a free "hall pass." Use it!

*shakes head*

Well this nerd parent will send her Special Need Autistic Son to School because they help him and not because he is a nerd. Get a life! It is a bloody make up day not the end of the world. If you object then do not attend and be marked absent otherwise let others decide for themselves with out resorting to how a child in school acts with name calling. Sounds like a few extra days for you might have taught you better.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:19 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,306,982 times
A few hours with my 30 year old friend, now suffering from right sided paralysis,after an IED attack in Iraq, is all the reason I need to refuse to send my children to school on Memorial Day. That this is even a discussion is unconscionable to me. Sure, most people only consider this holiday to be about barbeques and swimming, but those types of things are exactly what the men and women in uniform have fought and died for. This country is free based on the sacrifices of men and women throughout our history. To simply make this another school day minimizes those sacrifices in a way that sickens and infuriates me.

Short of Easter Sunday, there is NO day between now and the end of the school year that should be put in front of Memorial Day. Regardless of whether you've paid for your vacation etc etc yada yada- there should be outrage, and the Superintendent should be called on the carpet.

It's easy enough to be a patriot when it's convenient. It takes a real man/woman to stand up and do the right thing when it's a matter of principle. Just sayin.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:21 PM
LLN

4,977 posts, read 8,725,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
This day matters to those of us who care.
Thanks for caring so much, but if you think kids that flunked dumded down standardized tests are going to learn a lot on Memorial Day, I feel for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Nerds are the reason you have a computer at home to type that on!Dawn
Gates dropped out of Harvard. Do you really think he would have gone to school on Memorial Day????

Quote:
Originally Posted by emagine View Post
*shakes head*

Well this nerd parent will send her Special Need Autistic Son to School because they help him and not because he is a nerd. Get a life!
No one said make days were not effective for child care. Don't forget to tip!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-02-2009 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 02-21-2009, 05:09 PM

160 posts, read 357,933 times
Educating kids is far more important than getting a day off so you can pretend to care about memorial day.

But I'm with you, if you had to pick a day, good friday would have been a better one to choose over memorial day.

Of course, I come from a school district that never had a fall or spring break. I still find it hard to believe that kids in K-12 get a spring break.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,156,452 times
I see this as an extremely valid reason to make a "statement."

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
A few hours with my 30 year old friend, now suffering from right sided paralysis,after an IED attack in Iraq, is all the reason I need to refuse to send my children to school on Memorial Day. That this is even a discussion is unconscionable to me. Sure, most people only consider this holiday to be about barbeques and swimming, but those types of things are exactly what the men and women in uniform have fought and died for. This country is free based on the sacrifices of men and women throughout our history. To simply make this another school day minimizes those sacrifices in a way that sickens and infuriates me.

Short of Easter Sunday, there is NO day between now and the end of the school year that should be put in front of Memorial Day. Regardless of whether you've paid for your vacation etc etc yada yada- there should be outrage, and the Superintendent should be called on the carpet.

It's easy enough to be a patriot when it's convenient. It takes a real man/woman to stand up and do the right thing when it's a matter of principle. Just sayin.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,015,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
Educating kids is far more important than getting a day off so you can pretend to care about memorial day.

But I'm with you, if you had to pick a day, good friday would have been a better one to choose over memorial day.

Of course, I come from a school district that never had a fall or spring break. I still find it hard to believe that kids in K-12 get a spring break.
Then lets not PRETEND that the kids are getting 180 educational days and that having school on Memorial Day will matter one iota. And while we're talking about educating kids, why is it that the only knowledge of the history and importance of Memorial Day comes from what my kids have learned at home....it hasn't ONCE been discussed in school. Let's get straight that plenty of education happens outside of the school walls.

BTW...I agree about the spring break in K-12, I see no reason for it and would rather have the kids in school. But then I'm a real crazy person who would rather the kids have a more reasonable schedule at a year around school than 50-60 hour work weeks during the year and summers off.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:50 PM

841 posts, read 1,238,338 times
I would like to year-round schools, with nine weeks on and two weeks off (and longer break during the summer but not the length of two or more months). The retention of knowledge and skills would be higher IMO.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:09 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,156,452 times
I worked in year round schools for most of my career. It is SO much better, IMHO. It allows kids to have breaks when the rest of the world isn't off (vacationing is much cheaper and has far fewer crowds off-season), and allows them to not get so burnt out by Spring Break (or before!)

There are several charter schools in Raleigh that have year round schedules, I don't know why this area doesn't have them (Union County's "year round" is not really year round at all, it has two 2 week breaks, but not the schedule you have mentioned.)

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I would like to year-round schools, with nine weeks on and two weeks off (and longer break during the summer but not the length of two or more months). The retention of knowledge and skills would be higher IMO.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:29 AM

924 posts, read 1,855,660 times
They had year round schools in Orlando for awhile. It didn't work. My friend's sister was in school, then. They had three different schedules that they could choose from and had, I think, three different breaks throughout the year. The only problem for me would have been that it would be difficult to find childcare just fore a few weeks here and there during the year.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:50 AM
LLN

4,977 posts, read 8,725,736 times
Let's get back on topic, please. Are you outraged by having a make up day on Memorial Day." Thank you.

Like it or not, having it on Memorial Day does, in some way, big or small, demean Memorial Day.

I am struck by the number that say, give up Good Friday. I realize the huge influx of people from other areas (I won't say Yankees, since that too is offensive) do not understand, but Good Friday has been a pretty big deal in NC for many, many years. Some might call it traditional. So it is not "just another day" to us dwindling natives.

Finally, and I think it is the most important issue, if you really think about it, what is the utility of have a makeup day, that late in teh school year? I think NONE. That is the bigger issue to me.

Again, let us all return to the topic.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte