Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM

124 posts, read 361,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Hi wdavid,

I'm still sort of new here myself and I discovered a terrific resource a few years back to help me acclimate myself to a new city. I used one when I lived in Virginia Beach and I bought another when I moved to Charlotte. They are the "Insiders Guide to......." books. They have one for most major metro areas and they are loaded with info about places to go, things to see, recreation, dining, hotels, parks, etc.....

"The Insiders Guide to Charlotte" is a great resource for you, even when your just learning your way around after the family has left. You'll find it at the bookstore in the Travel section or you can order one online.

Take a look:
Insiders' Guide to Charlotte, Insiders' Guide Ser., Leigh Pressley Clinard, Book - Barnes & Noble

Places that I would take my family to see would be........

Concord Mills Mall (shopping)
Southpark Mall (high end shopping where you know you can't afford it if you have to ask how much it is....)
Lake Norman (restaurants, boating, shopping)
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden
Lowes Motor Speedway
A PRO sports game (Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Bobcats or the Checkers Hockey teams)
The Carolina Raptor Center

Talk a walk around downtown and hit some restaurants.
Ride the light rail line to other destinations
Show them the beautiful Greenway system the Parks and Recreation department has.

Those are my ideas. What sort of things does your family like to do?
Hi Gizmobizmo It was nice to hear that someone else is here from "The Beach" What a great move huh//I have been here a couple months and love it. As you stated the people are super nice and so helpful.It is an interesting city. Those were some really good suggestions you offered and I put them in my "Booklets of places to see" It always helps when you have visitors cause it makes you really get out there and do and see more things. Va. Beach was nice too, just different and I used to get out and explore too. C-D has been my best friend since I put my house on the market in VA. and have always gotten outstanding info, then and now from a wonderful group of people.One place that noone has mentioned so far is a stroll in Freedom Park in So Park- I spent a balmy Christmas Day there and drove around one of the old established areas of CLT. It was very pleasant. Different feel from Ballantyne area. So much variety here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:20 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,905,416 times
I recommend Queen City Tours. My mother and I went on the "Daily Tour" when she was here visiting and we both learned a lot. The guide/driver was very informative and took us to some interesting little pockets of the city I was not aware of.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM

251 posts, read 1,034,531 times
gizmobizmo,

Thanks for that least of things to see, when I visit my Godmother in Charlotte this fall--I can
check some of those places out....I have visited Charlotte a few times...

You like Charlotte better then Virginia Beach? I have always wanted to check out the Hampton
Roads Area...but it seems like it doesn't have too good of a rep....

I live in California and I am looking to relocate in a few years...I am leaning towards Nashville...I was
considering Hampton Roads Area...I still want to visit, seems like other cities have a little
more going for them

I am glad your move worked out.....

Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 AM

Hi Coralsand 2,

I will ask you the same question at gizmobizmo...Charlotte is better then Virginia Beach Area?

I always have wanted to check out the Hampton Roads area.....but it doesn't seem to have
as much going for it as other areas, I still want to visit....I liked the fact that they had water
surrounding the area....

I live in the Bay Area and I am looking to relocate in a few years, I am leaning toward Nashville....

I have been to Charlotte a few times...not in a few years...its really pretty and the foliage
is beautiful in the fall...., my Godmother lives there.....have only been through Raleigh and
Greensboro....and went to Monroe....

But, I am leaning towards Nashville if I move South....for some reason I just like that area....

Would love to hear about the real deal on Virginia Beach...folks seem to leave there in
droves....

I worked with a lady who graduated from Hampton University and she said unless you are
in the military--most folks leave....

Old 02-18-2009, 12:27 PM

124 posts, read 361,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
Hi Coralsand 2,

I will ask you the same question at gizmobizmo...Charlotte is better then Virginia Beach Area?

I always have wanted to check out the Hampton Roads area.....but it doesn't seem to have
as much going for it as other areas, I still want to visit....I liked the fact that they had water
surrounding the area....

I live in the Bay Area and I am looking to relocate in a few years, I am leaning toward Nashville....

I have been to Charlotte a few times...not in a few years...its really pretty and the foliage
is beautiful in the fall...., my Godmother lives there.....have only been through Raleigh and
Greensboro....and went to Monroe....

But, I am leaning towards Nashville if I move South....for some reason I just like that area....

Would love to hear about the real deal on Virginia Beach...folks seem to leave there in
droves....

I worked with a lady who graduated from Hampton University and she said unless you are
in the military--most folks leave....
I would say it is all relative Naomisday. Both Va Beach and Charlotte are very nice choices. You have to decide what is important to you. Yes, being surrounded by water is nice but when you live there you tend not to utilize it as much esp. when the tourist are there in droves and with military some areas are restricted now. You pay more to be closer to the water also. It is an easy city to get around, clean, limited shopping,limited social places to go for the younger set, close to Norfolk but what's there??? perhaps Hampton , a bigger city is a little more active."The Beach" has many military ladies and kiddies waiting for their guy to come back. Lots of ships coming in, covers a lot of the news, for recognition they deserve.I think your co-worker hit the nail on the head re military. I don't know what your status is but if you are thinking long term it would behoove you to do more research to see if it fits you.You can always GO TO water. If you mean the Bay area in San Francisco, I lived there a while ago and there is no comparison to CLT or Va Beach, just different. Hope some of this helps you can DM me if you want at any time. 3 yrs. is a long time to make a decision, places change
Good Luck

Old 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Im sorry the original poster is not seeking info on other cities.
Please refrain from posting information that doesnt help the OP out.
If you need to discuss other cities please go to that city forum here on city-data.
Thanks

Old 02-20-2009, 12:16 AM

coralsand2,,

Thanks so much----love your feedback...I will DM in the future...I am glad your move
has worked out....

Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
The first time my brother in law & my nephew visited I took them to The Men's Club. They have great show and great dinner theater.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:13 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
The first time my brother in law & my nephew visited I took them to The Men's Club. They have great show and great dinner theater.
The men's club..hmmm...is this like a place with an adult theme???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte