Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte economy losing jobs, seeking information from citizens on financial plans, move away from Charlotte for job, stay in Charlotte, starting a new business, going back to school

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
We all need to be aware that Charlotte is just now starting to feel the effects of what the rest of the country has been feeling all year. We are so lucky ...we still have businesses opening...still have kids going to nice schools...still are holding on. We are much better off here than many people are around the country...lets all not keep hurting our city by TRYING to make it sound bad. It is much better here than anyplace else. Lets all try to stay positive and get throught these times together and make our city what we want it to be.
We would be much better off than the rest of the country except for one major factor: the banks. We are getting ready to see thousands - yes, THOUSANDS - of people get laid off.

And, starting in the 90s, our furniture and textile industries went on a downslide due to outsourcing and imports. So we lost thousands of jobs prior to this recession.

So what may seem to be such a good situation . . . is somewhat an illusion.

Will Charlotte cease to exist? HECK NO. We will rebound. For one thing, just think about the capable, trained workforce we have here. I am sure that other businesses are considering that right now. Corporations are opportunistic! They must be to survive! And I am sure there are corporations not just here in the USA - but internationally - who are fully aware of our situation here in CLT and they are considering moving here to take advantage of available commercial square footage - plus the added bonus of a willing and able workforce.

But the party's over, friends! Buying a house and selling it 1.5 years later and making a pot o' cash . . . buying a $400,000 home with a small downpayment and no job . . . those days are over!!!

It is what it is . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, Brian is one of our Jersey boys, but he is also a New South Southerner!

hmmm..
Jersey boys makes me think Jon Bon Jovi

LOL

Old 02-19-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
hmmm..

LOL
LOL!!! Well . . . let's just say . . . Charlotte has been blessed with some wonderful newcomers from NJ . . . and they have managed to not only fit in very well here, but they have also brought a lot of good things with them, wh/ I find a nice addition to this region. I don't think they fit the Bon Jovi image - or the Sopranos, for that matter!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Oh ani... you haven't met my SIL yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL!!! Well . . . let's just say . . . Charlotte has been blessed with some wonderful newcomers from NJ . . . and they have managed to not only fit in very well here, but they have also brought a lot of good things with them, wh/ I find a nice addition to this region. I don't think they fit the Bon Jovi image - or the Sopranos, for that matter!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I haven't read this entire thread because I really don't have the time to go through all the posts. But, in the event that nobody has posted this story from The Atlantic by Richard Florida, here is the link: How the Crash Will Reshape America - The Atlantic (March 2009) This story doesn't paint a bleak picture for Charlotte in the long term. In fact, if you read the entire story, you'll see that he's pretty positive on Charlotte and the Raleigh area.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,802 times
To quote the 13th colonists, "Its happened before and it will happen again".

In the late 70s and early 80s before there were big banks in the skyline, Charlotte was in pretty bad shape job wise. I suspect we will eclipse those numbers soon simply because of the growth in population, but things did turn around. A lot of young people don't remember those days, but we had double digit unemployment, double digit interest rates AND double digit inflation. Toss in a little Arab oil embargo to boot and we had a fine time of things. But then also had leaders that felt recovery was best left to business and not to the government. They took the goverment out of the equation and made it easier for businesses to grow and invest. Once that happened, jobs came back and the recovery got going until...well...late last year. We don't have leaders like that that now and that makes me really very nervous. There's no way we can spend our way out of this mess without mortaging the future generations. I worry more for the future of my kids than I do for my own.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM

203 posts, read 496,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I haven't read this entire thread because I really don't have the time to go through all the posts. But, in the event that nobody has posted this story from The Atlantic by Richard Florida, here is the link: How the Crash Will Reshape America - The Atlantic (March 2009) This story doesn't paint a bleak picture for Charlotte in the long term. In fact, if you read the entire story, you'll see that he's pretty positive on Charlotte and the Raleigh area.
Thanks for posting that.

Boy, reading some of these posts I was beginning to think I was in the Rhode Island forum lol.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
hmmm..

LOL
OH NOOOO!!!!
My husband is definitely NOT JBJ! YIKES!
Gosh that would be terrible if that's what you guys think of our NJ guys!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
OH NOOOO!!!!
My husband is definitely NOT JBJ! YIKES!
Gosh that would be terrible if that what you guys think of our NJ guys!
As you know . . . I love our NJ to NC guys. I also have some really handsome cousins who live in NJ.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
To quote the 13th colonists, "Its happened before and it will happen again".

In the late 70s and early 80s before there were big banks in the skyline, Charlotte was in pretty bad shape job wise. I suspect we will eclipse those numbers soon simply because of the growth in population, but things did turn around. A lot of young people don't remember those days, but we had double digit unemployment, double digit interest rates AND double digit inflation. Toss in a little Arab oil embargo to boot and we had a fine time of things. But then also had leaders that felt recovery was best left to business and not to the government. They took the goverment out of the equation and made it easier for businesses to grow and invest. Once that happened, jobs came back and the recovery got going until...well...late last year. We don't have leaders like that that now and that makes me really very nervous. There's no way we can spend our way out of this mess without mortaging the future generations. I worry more for the future of my kids than I do for my own.
One could make the argument pretty strongly that reducing government regulation of the financial sector put us in this big mess in the first place. So, let's remember that we need both a strong and effective government and strong and effective business. I think it's too simplistic to think that one can exist without the other in our complex, global economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte