U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Charlotte economy losing jobs, seeking information from citizens on financial plans, move away from Charlotte for job, stay in Charlotte, starting a new business, going back to school

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
One could make the argument pretty strongly that reducing government regulation of the financial sector put us in this big mess in the first place. So, let's remember that we need both a strong and effective government and strong and effective business. I think it's too simplistic to think that one can exist without the other in our complex, global economy.
There are quite a few Libertarians who would definitely argue that your premise is wrong.

Just saying . . .

May I add . . . I studied Marxism over 30 years ago . . . and I see us heading that direction and away from Capitalism. This recession is turning into a economic class war . . . and we are allowing the federal government to move us closer to both socialism and marxism.

Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Southeast
345 posts, read 719,931 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Yes, it would. A family of three would live in a tri-pod and of course a single person would rent an I pod.
Will the I pod have a bathroom and kitchen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
Will the I pod have a bathroom and kitchen?
Yep. And obviously, being an iPod, lots of good music, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,749,010 times
Reputation: 11128
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are quite a few Libertarians who would definitely argue that your premise is wrong.

Just saying . . .

May I add . . . I studied Marxism over 30 years ago . . . and I see us heading that direction and away from Capitalism. This recession is turning into a economic class war . . . and we are allowing the federal government to move us closer to both socialism and marxism.

Think about it.
I think you are jumping to a huge conclusion in rapid fashion and I think you are wrong. That said, I think it's obvious that there's no point even trying to get into an argument with you since we are so philosophically apart from each other.
I pointed out one opinion and you pointed out another.
Now, I'll just return back the Raleigh/Durham forum pages. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,144,852 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are quite a few Libertarians who would definitely argue that your premise is wrong.

Just saying . . .

May I add . . . I studied Marxism over 30 years ago . . . and I see us heading that direction and away from Capitalism. This recession is turning into a economic class war . . . and we are allowing the federal government to move us closer to both socialism and marxism.

Think about it.
++1 Well said as always Ani
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,038,363 times
Reputation: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This recession is turning into a economic class war . . . and we are allowing the federal government to move us closer to both socialism and marxism.

Think about it.
+1

We are rewarding bad behavior, personally and in business.

I'm not happy.

A friend in Ballantyne sure is happy, he is getting bailed out in a home he admits he shouldn't have bought in the first place.
So much for playing by the historical rules.

But back to the OP.
Charlotte will recover.
It was a great place to live before the banks, and will be if they leave.
I personally know two manufacturing firms that are actually doing quite well, one is getting ready to expand.
Sure, this does not help the VP banking types, but jobs are jobs.
Maybe Charlotte got 'too big for its britches' as my grandmother used to say.

Obviously it will take time for CLT to recover, but I am prepared to wait it out while many transplants leave for proverbial 'greener pastures'.

I've been fortunate enough to travel the world, but I do think something was lost in the jet-age - the ability to hold onto one's roots.
I love that my kids can visit the house where their great-great-grandmother was born - it is still in the family.
I love that within 50 miles of my house are many sites encompassing 350 years of family history, churches and grave sites.
My children know and appreciate this and IMHO that is special.
I'll only leave for my real roots: Europe.

Last edited by mullman; 02-19-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think you are jumping to a huge conclusion in rapid fashion and I think you are wrong. That said, I think it's obvious that there's no point even trying to get into an argument with you since we are so philosophically apart from each other.
I pointed out one opinion and you pointed out another.
Now, I'll just return back the Raleigh/Durham forum pages. :-)
I hope it didn't sound like I was being argumentative. I was just stating the facts as I see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,144,852 times
Reputation: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think you are jumping to a huge conclusion in rapid fashion and I think you are wrong. That said, I think it's obvious that there's no point even trying to get into an argument with you since we are so philosophically apart from each other.
I pointed out one opinion and you pointed out another.
Now, I'll just return back the Raleigh/Durham forum pages. :-)
Actually, I believe that it was government meddling in the banking industry that forced the banks to make loans to low/no income individuals so that they may "experience the American dream". Where was the oversight then? There are only a half dozen congressional committees that either are charged with overseeing banking and finance or are directly monitoring the money flow in this country. More government, yeah that's the ticket.

Ani, I find it interesting that these days whenever the "Marxist" term is used, people either are totally unaware of what Marxism is, or they are in total denial. While I think we will at some point recover economically, once the genie is out of the bottle, we will never enjoy the freedoms that we had just a short time ago. Atlas is shrugging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Reputation: 22371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Actually, I believe that it was government meddling in the banking industry that forced the banks to make loans to low/no income individuals so that they may "experience the American dream". Where was the oversight then? There are only a half dozen congressional committees that either are charged with overseeing banking and finance or are directly monitoring the money flow in this country. More government, yeah that's the ticket.

Ani, I find it interesting that these days whenever the "Marxist" term is used, people either are totally unaware of what Marxism is, or they are in total denial. While I think we will at some point recover economically, once the genie is out of the bottle, we will never enjoy the freedoms that we had just a short time ago. Atlas is shrugging.
You know, back when I was in college, we really dug in on Marxism and I was so glad, b/c I truly wanted to understand that system. I think we all need to examine what path we are being led down. And in many ways, anyone who has studied Marxism knows that the move towards that system is usually a natural progression in times of recession. People start a grassroots movement, b/c they think this is how to solve the economic problems. And if you have a leader guiding people down the path, introducing subtle changes as "the light at the end of the tunnel" - people don't even realize where they have arrived until after they have bought into the whole regime.

No one suggested this to me . . . I have just been thinking about that stimulus bill . . . and the mindset people seem to be in. We are all angry. We are especially angry about the greed and irresponsibility. That mindset is ripe for Marxist solutions. Feels like an economic class war on the horizon . . . the very rich (who have been greedy and self-serving - especially the greedy corporate types) are not suffering. We don't care if they lost millions. We want them to suffer as we have. We want them to make some kind of reparation and we are angry that they are walking off unscathed - and their actions have caused millions to lose their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 05:43 PM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,961,219 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
<straightens jacket, adjusts collar, fixes cufflinks>

So, how YOU doin'?
These 4 words are the post of the year. Jameson Irish Whiskey almost came out of my nose. (Almost... I know better than to waste "the good stuff!")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top