U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte economy losing jobs, seeking information from citizens on financial plans, move away from Charlotte for job, stay in Charlotte, starting a new business, going back to school

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:48 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,941,592 times

Advertisements

So here we are. Some of us grew up here . . . some of us moved here with a job or hoping to find a life for our families or a new career move . . .

And it appears that collectively, we are getting ready to deal with some big issues that will affect us all - if not directly, then certainly - indirectly.

Last year, Charlotte lost 32,000 jobs. This year . . . who knows? I suspect at the end of this quarter, we will have an official unemployment rate of 10%.

We are all in this collectively - and what happens to part of us will affect all of us.

Just wondering what your personal strategy is for the coming year to 18 months. If you have lost your job (or feel pretty certain a lay-off is on the horizon) . . . what are you thinking about doing?

1. You want to stay in this area; you are happy here; you hope to replace your job here

2. You want to stay in the area, but you feel pretty certain you will have to relocate. You are worried, tho, about selling your house in this market.

3. You know you will have to leave to find a new job. You are worried about selling your house but will think about that when you land a new position.

4. Charlotte has been a bad experience, and you want OUT.

What strategies have you come up with? Starting a sideline business? Going back to school? Living off your 401Ks and part time work? One spouse employed, the other getting unemployment checks and hoping to find a job?

Petrified and no clue what to do?

What are your strategies? What do you see in your future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:10 PM

104 posts, read 153,921 times
I didn't lose my job here, but I lost my job working for Ford up in the Detroit suburbs around September of last year. I moved here for a job. Granted Charlotte may be losing jobs now, but good luck finding a major city that isn't. Sure Charlotte has it's share of economic problems (i.e. banks) but it is far from the worst place to be these days.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
I didn't lose my job here, but I lost my job working for Ford up in the Detroit suburbs around September of last year. I moved here for a job. Granted Charlotte may be losing jobs now, but good luck finding a major city that isn't. Sure Charlotte has it's share of economic problems (i.e. banks) but it is far from the worst place to be these days.
So are you presently employed here? Feel secure about your job?

BTW - don't blame you at all for leaving Detroit. What a horrible situation so many are facing there . . . hope you like it here in Charlotte.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,567,105 times
ani,

I am from Charlotte and have been here all of my life. DH is from up north ( he is one of those damn yankees)

Our dream is to move just a little further south to the coast but at this point who knows? He recently lost his job, he had already settled for a job outside of his career field. Sooo, here we are. He is actively looking for work but as we all know there isn't a whole lot out there. We are trying to remain positive, keep the faith and pray.

Who knows where we will land? I know that whatever God's will is, that it will be done. But one thing is for sure, this sure ain't the town that I grew up in and loved for so many years. It is gone to hell in a hand basket.

Good topic...

Old 02-18-2009, 05:23 PM

677 posts, read 2,012,013 times
Eh, I'm young and can go where the work takes me.

But I do like Charlotte, Turned down a lot of other job offers to work here after college.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,046,925 times
I did not lose my job and if I do, I will have to figure it out then. Fortunately, my job is based on how my company is doing nation wide so that may or may not work out in my favor.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
ani,

I am from Charlotte and have been here all of my life. DH is from up north ( he is one of those damn yankees)

Our dream is to move just a little further south to the coast but at this point who knows? He recently lost his job, he had already settled for a job outside of his career field. Sooo, here we are. He is actively looking for work but as we all know there isn't a whole lot out there. We are trying to remain positive, keep the faith and pray.

Who knows where we will land? I know that whatever God's will is, that it will be done. But one thing is for sure, this sure ain't the town that I grew up in and loved for so many years. It is gone to hell in a hand basket.

Good topic...
HA HA HA - another Southern Belle married to a damn Yankee (me, too!)

I have been thinking we should all be considering innovative solutions to future living arrangements. I envision communal type living in small cottages (or semi-attached dwellings) surrounding a larger main building for social activities and group meal preparation, outdoor areas for gardening. I think pooling resources and manpower might be the wave of the future. The difference in this and formal CCRC's would be that no corporation owns/manages a thing. People simply own their houses and pay a monthly fee (HOA dues) to use the community building.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Eh, I'm young and can go where the work takes me.

But I do like Charlotte, Turned down a lot of other job offers to work here after college.
I hope you will be able to stay. Nice having you here.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I did not lose my job and if I do, I will have to figure it out then. Fortunately, my job is based on how my company is doing nation wide so that may or may not work out in my favor.
I think that people who can weather it thru/ this year will most likely be fine, as it does appear that things will turn around in 2010. I hope I am not being too optimistic. Hopefully, with your job being a nation-wide concern, you will get thru/ this economic debacle.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,567,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
HA HA HA - another Southern Belle married to a damn Yankee (me, too!)

I have been thinking we should all be considering innovative solutions to future living arrangements. I envision communal type living in small cottages (or semi-attached dwellings) surrounding a larger main building for social activities and group meal preparation, outdoor areas for gardening. I think pooling resources and manpower might be the wave of the future. The difference in this and formal CCRC's would be that no corporation owns/manages a thing. People simply own their houses and pay a monthly fee (HOA dues) to use the community building.

Those yankee men sure are good stuff huh?

You could be onto something here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte