U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:13 PM

8 posts, read 14,424 times

Advertisements

"Like you I moved to Charlotte in '07. I take responsibility for my actions and know that since I didn't move into an ESTABLISHED neighborhood, the chance that my kids would be moved would be higher."

I'm not sure what your definition of "Established" would be but Rolling Hills has been around for 40+ years. I moved from Charlotte to Union County in 2001 and moved from the Sun Valley School District to Porter Ridge in 2007. I did my homework and knew what schools I wanted my child to attend. This homework was based on test scores and AYP scores of the schools in the area.

"That's how things work. We take responsibility for our actions and don't blame someone else for our mistakes. (like too many people in this world do today). "

All I have done in 2 post is bring out the facts of the situation. Since you have no way to dispute the facts you can only respond that I made mistake and live with it. Yessa Massa, you be da boss is the same mentality of this school board. This is why there is only one proposal with no options! I believe I read in the paper this weekend where Charlotte was holding a reassignment meeting and they had 4 proposals.

I feel like the School Board is not being truthful with what it is trying to achieve. Anyone can see that the goal of the reassignment is to put Upper and Middle Class White kids into the Monroe Middle because the administration has failed at their jobs. If you can't get the test scores up by teaching, you improve the scores by changing the demographics of the school. Teachers and administrators are paid bonuses based off of improvement not performance. I have 2 teachers in my family that talk all of the time about their bonuses because their schools perform exceptionally every year. They would make more money by taking a year off and having scores fall so they could get paid larger bonuses the next year when they show improvement. Monroe Middle dropped 40% in test scores last year. Reassign these affluent neighborhoods in 2009 and improve the scores and hey...bonus money again!

My point is give me the oppurtunity to put my child in Piedmont if Porter Ridge is overcrowded. Piedmont's test scores are superior to Porter Ridge.
It is so Taboo to speak the truth of what is going on so they hide behind something else to meet the agenda.

I should have the CHOICE and the VOICE when it comes to my childs education. So should you!

See you All tonight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,801,873 times
Any updates from anybody that went tonight?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 AM

172 posts, read 527,961 times
I attended the meeting and was impressed with the alternatives to redistricting that were presented. Ron Cox, the lawyer representing the subdivisions to be reassigned, offered several alternative plans, all of which made more sense to me than uprooting children. I think I am fairly objective as I do not have school age children and am not really worried about property values as I intend to stay where I am for the long haul. I was particularly impressed with the middle school children who spoke quite emotionally about the disruption this reassignment would cause in their lives. The school board will meet next Tuesday to vote on the subject or table it until more accurate information is available (as requested by many speakers).

Last edited by snowflake; 03-11-2009 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM

13 posts, read 22,635 times
With all due respect, 2 of the 3 alternative plans do uproot children. One alternative presented was to reduce feeder schools (i.e. Fairview and Stallings) and uproot different children. It would require those students to travel much further than the children in the southern area are proposed to travel. They are still children just like yours. The third alternative proposes moving the southern area to Piedmont. Uprooting children is still uprooting children regardless of who they are or where they travel.

There were several good points made by the southern area, the concern over the year long vs. traditional calendar. For your sake I hope that those messages were not overshadowed by the rude and disrespectful behavior displayed towards the Superindentent, the 'northern' speakers and the failure to follow the ground rules (applause, etc) set by the Board Chair.

Additionally many facts regarding the northern area were just plain wrong. It takes the northern area almost 12 minutes to get to the PR schools. Piedmont is twice as far. The only way to accomplish a 12 minute trip to Piedmont is to go by air or to plan to arrive in a body bag.

Fairview is also not the 'community' school of the Stallings/Stevens Mill area residents. Geographically the neighborhoods are part of the Stallings (not Fairview) community and participate in sports, grocery shop, and socialize with all of the Stallings area communities. The Porter Ridge schools are the community schools.

Regardless of the outcome, all of the PR community is still together for at least one more year. Hopefully individuals will pledge to be more respectful and less divisive in our community. Gaining support from the larger PR community for any alternative option is difficult when the respect is lacking.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Cty Parent View Post
For your sake I hope that those messages were not overshadowed by the rude and disrespectful behavior displayed towards the Superindentent, the 'northern' speakers and the failure to follow the ground rules (applause, etc) set by the Board Chair.
I will agree with you on the booing being disrespectful when the people from the Northern Area spoke but what did you really expect when these people said that they agreed with the proposal and that Superintendent Davis had done a good job. Mr. Cox, The lawyer for the Southern district, summed it up best for the North when he started his comments by saying "I believe I can sum up the comments from the North in one sentence...Thank you for leaving us alone."

If the Board had done a good job, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

The 3 points that were brought up by the Southern District that hold the most weight with me are:

1. The numbers are flawed and the data is not current. The overcrowding numbers were based off a study in 2007 that showed projections for new homes in 2009 of about 1000 I believe. This study was done before the economic crisis we all find ourselves in. Only 1 new home permit has been issued in the county for 2009. (I believe we've hit a wall with new homes) How did Monroe High School's capacity increase from 840 Students on the Sun Valley redistricting proposal last year to now being 1000 students when there has been no new contruction at the school. If you stayed until the end, the board members discussed this question between themselves also.

2. Since Monroe Middle and Monroe High are listed as "High Priority" schools by the state because of substandard test scores, why would you increase the population of these schools which would increase the student teacher ratio. When a school is "high priority" one of the goals is to reduce the student teacher ratio so that the students can get more attention individually.

3. The Piedmont schools are closer to the Southern region by 1/2 the drive time because we do not have to cross HWY 74 and sit at upwards of 16 stop lights to get there. We should not be forcing many inexperienced drivers and our buses to cross 6 lanes of HWY 74 twice daily during rush hour. From my neighborhood PR is a 6-7 minute ride. Piedmont is a 10-12 minute ride. Monroe is 20-23 minutes.

If this redistricting is truly about overpopulation, the Southern District should be moved to Piedmont. If they approve the redistricting as it is written, then everything I stated in my previous post is accurate and the foundation for a lawsuit has been set.

I applaud the children for speaking as they are ones most affected by this. Their emotions were hard to bear.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I will agree with you on the booing being disrespectful when the people from the Northern Area spoke but what did you really expect when these people said that they agreed with the proposal and that Superintendent Davis had done a good job.
So booing is disrespectful but okay if you think you have a good reason to be disrespectful? Lost me there on that one.

What I expected was common decency. The Porter Ridge families in the northern area went to great lengths to not weigh in on the portion of the plan that impacted the southern area. The hundredsd of signatures on a petition supported the plan's treatment of the northern area. That particular portion of the plan did take into account impacts on students who would be subject to future redistricting issues with "D", lengthy travel --much further than the miles others spoke about on Tuesday and dangerous travel on two lane country roads with high fatality rates, and distances that would in all cases at least double.

Why is redistricting, travel times, miles, etc. important for the south but not the north area? Aren't those some of the same issues that so many of the southern area speakers spoke about? Do individuals not realize that those issues are the same and even more stark (in terms of miles, time and safety) for those students? What is wrong with thanking Dr. Davis for that logic while at the same time not supporting or opposing the plan as it pertained to our fellow porter ridge families?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 AM

There were some valid concerns raised, if true, about the study and the data regarding FUTURE projections. However, why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the room? The schools are ALREADY overcrowded. We are talking about future problems -- there are 25+ trailers at the middle school alone. Crowded hallways, long lunchlines and huge class sizes are commonplace at the high school.

Hundreds of the students now attending PRMS/PRHS will not vanish simply because of the quality of the data used to project future enrollment.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM

[quote=Union Cty Parent;7851485]So booing is disrespectful but okay if you think you have a good reason to be disrespectful? Lost me there on that one.

I didn't say it was Ok. I said what do you expect? If I stood in front of a group from the North and stated that I agreed with a proposal that would send your children to Monroe Middle I would expect to hear some groans and boos but that doesn't make it right.

My point is that the North had already received the information they wanted. The board had already decided that it didn't make sense to move those from the North.

The North had the right to attend and speak but by doing so only further divided the Porter Ridge community that was built by everyone that was there. By stating that they agreed with the proposal, The North got up and said they should send all of these kids to Monroe Middle and High Schools from the South. It's very easy to agree with something that doesn't change where your children attend school.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM

[quote=Union Cty Parent;7851576]There were some valid concerns raised, if true, about the study and the data regarding FUTURE projections. However, why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the room? The schools are ALREADY overcrowded. We are talking about future problems .

quote]

The arguement i've heard is that if you look at the numbers and use the reality of what the figures are today with no new homes being built and very few new homes being sold, your Elementary "feeder" schools are going to become less populated which will transfer through. I haven't seen these numbers or projections but this is what was brought up at our meetings.

If they have to make changes now instead of waiting to see true enrollment numbers in October then send us to Piedmont.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:57 PM

A few individuals spoke in favor of the entire plan but the majority of the northern speakers spoke only to the portion of the plan that affected the northern area. It was our intent to be sensitive and courteous to our fellow PR families.

It was therefore even more disappointing to learn of proposals offered by your attorney that would redistrict large amounts of students from Stallings elementary (many of which were not even in the northern 'study area') without our input and to hear speaker after speaker tell the board to ship our kids elsewhere, and listen to speakers who gave distorted facts about our travel times, our children's safety, our communities, etc.

If you recall, there were no boos from the northern area for your speakers. In fact if you looked around you would have seen applause on many of the points made.

My original post was directed at the rudeness and my disappointment in the tone and tenor of the public hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte