Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 05:17 PM

226 posts, read 787,645 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move from the Raleigh area to Charlotte. We've been many times, for Panthers games, business meetings, etc. but haven't spent much time yet looking at the real estate picture. Here's our wish list for a home......S-SW Charlotte (office will be close to W. Arrowood and 485), ranch or 1 1/2 story (master and laundry downstairs), an acre (or more) lot would be great, fairly new construction. No kids so schools are not of major importance. $250-$300,000 range. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:03 PM

311 posts, read 915,436 times
I'm curious, what is it about Raleigh that you don't like and has seen that Charlotte has? Everyone's always comparing the two but i've barely been to Raleigh so I'm just curious. I think you could get a house in your range.. for neighborhood recommendations, you'll have to leave it to the south charlotte residents! i'm not sure of that area.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,379 times
It will be tough to meet all of your requirements -- generally newer construction is on much smaller lot sizes. If you want larger lots, you may need to go slightly older, and the reverse is true -- if you want newer construction you will likely need to go with a smaller lot.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:45 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
We are considering a move from the Raleigh area to Charlotte. We've been many times, for Panthers games, business meetings, etc. but haven't spent much time yet looking at the real estate picture. Here's our wish list for a home......S-SW Charlotte (office will be close to W. Arrowood and 485), ranch or 1 1/2 story (master and laundry downstairs), an acre (or more) lot would be great, fairly new construction. No kids so schools are not of major importance. $250-$300,000 range. Any recommendations would be appreciated!!
That area is known as "Steele Creek" and it's a nice place to live. It's a large area, bigger than many smaller towns. For example at 47 square miles it's bigger than Cary (41 sq. miles).

The Steele Creek Residents Association website has some great info. about the area.

The area has had a lot of growth in recent years and there are many neighborhoods in your price range. I agree with south.charlotte&union that your biggest hurdle would be finding a home with a larger lot. Out of curiosity I did a search and found only one "$250-$300,000" home, with at least one acre, and it has a contract pending.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? If you want a master planned community you may like the Whispering Pines section of The Palisades in lower Steele Creek.

Quote:
Homes from the mid $250's
Ryland Homes is building a collection of luxurious ranch style homes on 70-foot home sites. Accessed through the Youngblood Road entrance via the Rusty Creek neighborhood, Whispering Pines will feature first floor master homes and maintained lawns.
The Palisades website

Another popular planned neighborhood is Berewick in upper Steele Creek.

Last edited by NCgirl; 03-18-2009 at 02:55 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 AM

226 posts, read 787,645 times
Main reason for the move would be job move, but we have not really cared for the Raleigh area overall. We have always enjoyed Charlotte, being closer to the mountains (we camp alot), big Panthers fans, and we would be closer to family, just to name a few reasons. As far as type of neighborhood, we'd prefer to be in an area with LESS kids. We had to buy fairly quickly when we moved to Raleigh and ended up in a subdivision in Apex FULL of kids. We're in our mid-late 40s and would prefer a quieter area. And we have 2 big dogs, hence the need for a large lot. Don't really care about having a pool, tennis courts, etc.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:17 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times
That makes sense...I will say that there are a lot of families here. I'm not sure but it may be hard to find a neighborhood that doesn't have a lot of children. There are other posters who live in Steele Creek as well, so the y may be able to shed light on their particular neighborhood. To find a large yard and an older demographic you may have to look in a more established, older neighborhood.

How far is your husband willing to commute? 485 circles most of the city so he could take it to work from another part of Charlotte. AFAIK, one acre lots are not common in Charlotte proper, especially with newer homes in your price range. Other options would be upstate SC. (Clover, Fort Mill or Tega Cay) and Eastern Gaston County (Belmont, Mount Holly, Lowell, McAdenville).

Last edited by NCgirl; 03-18-2009 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 PM

13 posts, read 41,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I'm curious, what is it about Raleigh that you don't like and has seen that Charlotte has? Everyone's always comparing the two but i've barely been to Raleigh so I'm just curious. I think you could get a house in your range.. for neighborhood recommendations, you'll have to leave it to the south charlotte residents! i'm not sure of that area.

Charlotte has A LOT more to offer than Raleigh.... You can not compare the two. Charlotte has an energetic, beautiful clean downtown. We have a pretty decent transportation system. We have light rail. Uptown is going to be even more amazing in the next couple years. We also have great suburbs. We are close to the mountains and not to far away from the beach. We have to sport teams the Panthers and the Bobcats. We have more people. We also have great shopping and dining!! I don't mean to brag.... but I don't see how you could ask that question?? That's like asking why diamonds are better than silver!!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,721,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltolaxto?? View Post
Charlotte has A LOT more to offer than Raleigh.... You can not compare the two. Charlotte has an energetic, beautiful clean downtown. We have a pretty decent transportation system. We have light rail. Uptown is going to be even more amazing in the next couple years. We also have great suburbs. We are close to the mountains and not to far away from the beach. We have to sport teams the Panthers and the Bobcats. We have more people. We also have great shopping and dining!! I don't mean to brag.... but I don't see how you could ask that question?? That's like asking why diamonds are better than silver!!
Really? Ok then! Charlotte rules and Raleigh Durham is pwn'd. But seriously, why hate on Raleigh Durham?

I'm from FLA and both RDU and Charlotte are ok, but man if you listen to everyone you would think Charlotte and RDU are the greatest thing since "The Real Housewives of Atlanta". I will not go on to insult these two fine metro areas as I could but I will let it die.

Just stop with the hate. You're in the same state and both areas have something to offer for everyone.

Cheers

Old 03-18-2009, 11:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Really? Ok then! Charlotte rules and Raleigh Durham is pwn'd. But seriously, why hate on Raleigh Durham?

I'm from FLA and both RDU and Charlotte are ok, but man if you listen to everyone you would think Charlotte and RDU are the greatest thing since "The Real Housewives of Atlanta". I will not go on to insult these two fine metro areas as I could but I will let it die.

Just stop with the hate. You're in the same state and both areas have something to offer for everyone.

Cheers
I considered both RDU and Charlotte and chose Charlotte. It just looked like it had more life in it. I liked my stay in Charlotte very much as well as Myrtle Beach before I had to return to the desert.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:13 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
I lived in Raleigh for 8 years, and loved it.

Charlotte and Raleigh are much different... cultural, entertainment, people...

I've found Charlotte to be a lot stuffier than Raleigh. It took me about 5 years to really like Charlotte again. Anyone declaring one is 'superior' to the other is crazy. They're both good. And they're both different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte