U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,902 times
Smile Amtrak : Charlotte to NewJersey/NewYork

I travel every week from Charlotte NC to NewJersey. There is no train that can fit the business travel need - to reach office by about 9am and start back to Charlotte by about 6pm.

The current trains are all day trains - if I take the train I loose the whole day. I am looking for a way to request for a change of train timing to fit the business travel need. Reach destination by 8am and return starts at 6pm.

With the current state of economy, travel on work has become almost mandatory - I am not planning to move every time i change job/project.

Who can we request for a change of timing ? To fit a Monday-Thursday business traveller between Charlotte - NewYork area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM

21,779 posts, read 37,957,375 times
contact Amtrak.
I doubt anything can be done considering the train stops in most of the small towns along the route.
It also has to give way to freight trains and that can take up considerable amount of time.
Your best bet for quick travel airlines or car travel

Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,119,197 times
DH and I just traveled by car from Charlotte to NJ last week. It took us 11 hours. Our route was 77 to 81 to 78 to 287.

I'm sure the route could be done a bit quicker, but we stopped frequently to give our dog a chance to stretch his legs and take care of business.

Last time I flew from Charlotte to Newark, the flight time was roughly 90 minutes (plus, of course, the time spent waiting for a gate to open in Newark, LOL).

I think flying is going to be your best bet since you have to be at your office by a certain time.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM

35,000 posts, read 41,176,228 times
CLT to EWK tickets are pretty cheap, really, if you book them ahead. Seems you could do that if you have a regular schedule for that route. I bet the tickets are no cheaper to ride Amtrak. And let's face it - this ain't Europe. You are not gonna get a Silver Bullet that travels 200 mph here in the USA.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,741,314 times
sirish, writing to Amtrak certainly won't get anywhere. Write your congresspeople and senators. That won't get you anywhere either, but they are the higher authority. Doesn't Amtrak get a lot of govt dollars? Everyone else does, they probably do too. The best you could hope for would be a thoughtful reply, written by a human being that responds directly to your concerns (not a form letter) and explains that a train would have to leave Charlotte at midnight in order to reach New York in time for a business traveler and there is not enough demand to justify that schedule.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,715,670 times
I think I saw something about an Express Charlotte - DC train as part of the Stimulas plan which would take aprox 6 hr. Still another 2 hrs to NY plus who know's when it will be built. I think a plane is your best bet.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:09 PM

12,589 posts, read 12,026,600 times
Last year I heard that Amtrak was looking to extend the Acela train from DC to Charlotte. This was on a local station in Philadelphia.

I would suggest writing to Amtrak & your senators & congressmen.

It can't hurt.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,813,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I think I saw something about an Express Charlotte - DC train as part of the Stimulas plan which would take aprox 6 hr. Still another 2 hrs to NY plus who know's when it will be built. I think a plane is your best bet.
There was something about this in the paper last week. I'd love to see this as it would be nicer than driving back to the old stomping grounds (DC/MD).

But to the OP - I agree with the other posters - your best bet is to fly the friendly skies.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 AM

12,589 posts, read 12,026,600 times
At the present time, flying is probably your best best. However, check into taking Amtrak to Philly. Then check into the commuter lines from Philly/South Jersey to NYC. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but it might give you more flexibility.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 AM

11,760 posts, read 17,643,444 times
Can't you use the company jet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte