U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM

35,885 posts, read 65,242,129 times

Advertisements

Spent some time in Concord today and it continues to blow me away w/ all the changes and growth in that area.

So tell me about Concord - what you all think about living there, working there. What areas you like best, what growth patterns seem to be working, what don't.

What do you see as the advantages of living in Concord as opposed to some other areas, such as Cornelius, Huntersville, Matthews, Union County, S. Charlotte . . . Just wanna hear your opinions and what you see for Concord's future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times
Have you been around downtown or the old concord mall? It is a different kind of world than suburban Concord

Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,093,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Spent some time in Concord today and it continues to blow me away w/ all the changes and growth in that area.

So tell me about Concord - what you all think about living there, working there. What areas you like best, what growth patterns seem to be working, what don't.

What do you see as the advantages of living in Concord as opposed to some other areas, such as Cornelius, Huntersville, Matthews, Union County, S. Charlotte . . . Just wanna hear your opinions and what you see for Concord's future.

You do realize that if you drove past Christy's Nursery/Philip Morris plant on 29 you kinda drove not far past me.....

I know that has absolutely nothing to do with the gist your post, but just saying.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,121,261 times
I think I will stay in Union County, thank you very much. They have a good library in Concord. Commercial ventures do not attract me. Haven't been there lately though. We just drive through on a way to I-85.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
You do realize that if you drove past Christy's Nursery/Philip Morris plant on 29 you kinda drove not far past me.....

I know that has absolutely nothing to do with the gist your post, but just saying.
Actually, I DID think about you, and it DID have something to do with this post!!!

Crazy, but I know how happy you were to get back to your zone there . . . and I was thinking - man, this area has grown so much compared to 10 years ago.

I met w/ a client who is a native . . . so even tho we only met last year, it was "old home week" b/c we have families who have been here over two centuries (in adjoining counties), so I knew some of her peeps, she knew some of mine, etc. etc. And we were talking about the changes, and it made me yearn for being back in a smaller town again - the feeling of "everyone knowing everyone else."

But at the same time, I was noticing how much things have changed - how much more retail and housing developments.

So I just wondered what you all thought about the area - and where it is headed.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 PM

7,041 posts, read 12,810,096 times
Actually, I only recently found the "old" downtown Concord and truly enjoyed the old Victorian homes.

I think that it is a nice area overall. The advantages over South Charlotte are that it is more "real". South Charlotte seems too hoity-toity to me. Too new, too flash, too modern. Concord is older and more middle-class. More stable feeling. You don't have to dress up to go to the store in Concord. (like I feel like I need to do in South Charlotte).

Cornelius/Huntersville are money areas...but, different from S. Charlotte. Cornelius/ H'ville are the rich neighbours, S. Charlotte are the rich wanna-bees. All areas feel snooty like they are better than the rest of us ...

Harrisburg/Concord are comfortable areas. Decent shopping, the track (I grudgingly admit), and nice, older, solid homes.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Have you been around downtown or the old concord mall? It is a different kind of world than suburban Concord
Not for a long time, Sunny. I decided this is a trip I am going to do in the next few weeks - wanna take photos. I was near the track.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Actually, I only recently found the "old" downtown Concord and truly enjoyed the old Victorian homes.

I think that it is a nice area overall. The advantages over South Charlotte are that it is more "real". South Charlotte seems too hoity-toity to me. Too new, too flash, too modern. Concord is older and more middle-class. More stable feeling. You don't have to dress up to go to the store in Concord. (like I feel like I need to do in South Charlotte).

Cornelius/Huntersville are money areas...but, different from S. Charlotte. Cornelius/ H'ville are the rich neighbours, S. Charlotte are the rich wanna-bees. All areas feel snooty like they are better than the rest of us ...

Harrisburg/Concord are comfortable areas. Decent shopping, the track (I grudgingly admit), and nice, older, solid homes.
Well, that's the thing! Everyone looked so cute, LOL. I don't mean over done. I am talking nice jeans, cute sweaters/jackets - just well put together. As crazy as this sounds, where I hang in S. CLT - it has gotten where you never see anyone dressed up much at all - just sweats and sloppy and no make up and guys looking like the cat dragged them in. There were retired couples, all looking spiffy but not uptight, moms, people working on laptops - and EVERYONE LOOKED SO CLEAN CUT AND NICE, lol. And smiling. People were soooo friendly. These days, it seems every place I go in S. CLT . . . I have to really make the effort to be friendly - otherwise, no one greets me first, is very warm, no small talk. It all seems kinda forced.

I dunno. Was it my imagination? Did I just hit the Affability Jack Pot in Concord today? LOL!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:29 PM

314 posts, read 565,756 times
I live in Concord and have been here about 2 and 1/2 years now. I really like the area of Concord I live in. I say area because Concord is actually pretty large! I am in the 28027 zip and the 73 corridor. I am 10-15 mins from Concord Mills, 10 mins from Afton Ridge shopping center, 2 mins from the grocery store, elementary and middle school.....I pretty much have everything I need without having to deal with the congestion of Huntersville which is about 15 minutes down 73 to the exit 25 area. I am also very close to I-85, and I can take 73 or back roads to I-77 and get on at 25, 23 or further down at exit 18. Davidson, Kannapolis, and Charlotte are all a hop, skip and a jump from my area too. Some of that has to do with annexation and it's funny because if I go one way I am suddenly in Kannapolis....I go another and it's Davidson....another and it's Charlotte or Huntersville....it was a little confusing when I first moved here but I get it now!
What is nice about this area is that there are still some farms around and some open spaces....although who knows for how long! I think this is an area that will grow quickly!
Plus it is in Cabarrus County which means lower taxes than Meck and the schools here have good ratings....and my personal experience with the school my children attend has been nothing but positive.
Definitely! I'm very happy here and so is my family.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 57,213,700 times
I hope the city buys the land that surrounds Phillip Morris that would make a nice park.

Holy Gps there is so many Blvds' Im so glad I have one.

Christy's is a great nursery the two ladies are very friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte