U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 4,249 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
me and my girlfriend have to been thinking about migrating to the US from Finland after we graduate from college. We've been looking at Charlotte to be a pretty ideal "new home" for its climate and range of jobs in the financial sector.

But what about now? The banking sector seems to be suffering, which isn't very good news for us as I'm graduating as MSC in economics and my girlfriend MBA in accounting. I know you guys don't have a crystal ball in your hands, but do you think there will still be a strong job market for young professionals and recent graduates in the banking and financial sector?

Also, do the people of Charlotte welcome foreigners? This is propably an easier question to answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,162,963 times
Charlotte is losing banking and financial service jobs very quickly. We have a ton of quilified people in this industry who have already moved here and are looking for work.

To be honest, I suggest you hold off on these plans for several years until the job markets are more stable.

And yes, I think Charlotte is a very friendly town and would love to have new, educated workes such as yourselves move here. Come visit us sometime.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,861,116 times
I agree w/Frank. It might not be the best time to relocate from overseas for a job in the financial sector right now. What are the chances of finding employment with a bank in Finland and arranging for a transfer after a year or two, when (hopefully!) things will be improving?

I also agree with Frank's assessment of Charlotte being a friendly town - I'm sure you would feel welcomed here. Have you ever visited before?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:40 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
If you can wait til 2010 and see how things are then, I believe you will find a much more open job market. However, no reason not to start doing your homework and finding out what companies are here. We do have international corporations here - maybe that would be a sector your particular skills and backgrounds may match and you would actually find a spot without much trouble.

So I would start checking into the international corporations already located here, and look towards 2010 as your goal.

You will be very welcomed in this region. Stay in touch w/ us here on the boards and we will do all we can to help make your move a smooth transition.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Thank you so much for your kind answers! It will take at least to years for us to graduate and take care of the visas etc to be able to actually move there. So right now I'm just trying to get a little feedback from you locals to know whether you think its a good idea or not to try to start a life over there.

We haven't visited Charlotte yet, the reason for our interest towards Charlotte is that everything we've heard and read it seems like a perfect place for us. And of course we'll come to visit before making any final decisions.

What comes to the job market, I'm really hoping that by 2011 there will be work available, as I have no problem starting off at a low-level job, I'm thinking in a city that big I should be able to get at least something The banking industry over here is dominated by domestic players so transfer really isn't an option, but of course i'll try to some work experience before leaving.

Thanks again for the answers.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
You are very wise to start planning ahead. By 2011, I think our economy here is going to be much improved.

NC has a lot to offer. Beautiful outdoors areas . . . our mountain range is the oldest in the WORLD! Read about the Blue Ridge Parkway Welcome to the Blue Ridge Parkway

Charlotte is a nice location wh/ allows for easy access to the mountains and our coast. Let us know what you are interested in and as you plan, we can provide info to help you learn more about the Charlotte region.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 15,652 times
How is job market in Finland?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
Might want to do some research and send resumes to some of the larger corporations. As far as foreigners, Charlotte is an international city with 12 percent of the population speaking other than English. Nobody really notices. Where do you come from in Finland? I travel to Helsinki once in a while and have friends Mariehamn. Would love to have more people Scandanavia and Finland settle here. There are still some opportunities around, but extremely competetive and to the point that you need to know someone personally. For the time being, ensure that you have a job before coming or you might end up sacking groceries or serving bergers at McDonalds. AKIA just opened in Charlotte. Any connections with them?

P.S. I have met Swedes in Cornelius (my home outside Charlotte) but can't recall meeting Fins.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:25 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,110,264 times
Jaypo, we actually have a growing Scandinavian community here in Charlotte. Every fall, we have Scanfest Scandinavian Connection. We are having more Scandinavian-based activities that are starting up and, of course, Ikea just opened here last week.

I would join in welcoming you to Charlotte. However, please do your research. A European city, this is not. Just to keep things in perspective! Hope that you are able to visit soon!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 AM

I'm from Turku which is right about between Helsinki and Mariehamn. The job market here is getting worse as well, but that is not the main reason why I'd like to move out. I have live around Europe and Australia so I think I can adapt to cultural differences quite easily. It's the American way of life that I'm after.

Thanks for all the valuable hints!

And we also got Ikea in my home town about 6 months ago, it's nice to have it nearby isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or