Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 AM

52 posts, read 103,457 times

Advertisements

We currently live in northern NJ, where we wouldn't even consider a home without a 2 car garage because of the snow. Wondering if we should consider homes in Charlotte without garages, as there seem to be a lot of homes with parking spots only. We like the looks of the older neighborhoods, but those are the ones who seem to have no garages. I know that Charlotte gets snow, but how are the winters from a northern's point of view?

Thanks for any input! This board has been so helpful with narrowing down our choices for our retirement relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
You don't absolutely have to have a garage. However, it does make it much easier to go from home to car in any inclement weather. Also, sun damage to cars sitting out all day does take a toll.

It is the rain that aggravates me. So much nicer to pull into a garage w/ those groceries when it is raining.

But as far as making a big mistake not to have a garage . . . probably not, especially if you will be staying in the house for a long time. Sometimes it comes up as a negative with re-sale, as many young couples like to use their garages as covered spaces for kids to play during the day when there is bad weather!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:29 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia561 View Post
We currently live in northern NJ, where we wouldn't even consider a home without a 2 car garage because of the snow. Wondering if we should consider homes in Charlotte without garages, as there seem to be a lot of homes with parking spots only. We like the looks of the older neighborhoods, but those are the ones who seem to have no garages. I know that Charlotte gets snow, but how are the winters from a northern's point of view?

Thanks for any input! This board has been so helpful with narrowing down our choices for our retirement relocation.
For me, a garage is just one more place to collect junk you don't really need. I don't hold it against a home when it doesn't have one - neighborhood and location are much more important. And like you said, down here we don't get the snow so you don't miss one for that purpose, except maybe once a year.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
The garage is a MUST for me...the house is optional, LOL.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:46 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
At least consider if you can add a carport. I have to consider slipping in wet weather at my age. I suspect if you're retiring in CLT, that will eventually become important to you, also.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia561 View Post

Charlotte Snowfall Activity (1878-2009)

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/CLTmonthlySNobs.htm

I'd still want a lockable place for lawn/gardening/sporting/automotive/home maintenance products and tools. A garage or shed does nicely.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 AM

249 posts, read 458,282 times
seems like most people here use their garages to store their stuff.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Charlotte Snowfall Activity (1878-2009)

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/climate/CLTmonthlySNobs.htm

I'd still want a lockable place for lawn/gardening/sporting/home maintenance equipment and tools. A garage or shed.
Very good suggestion! Yes, one still needs a shed of some sort for that outdoor lawn equipment. And garden tools, too.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Considering that most houses don't have basements which were ubiquitous with most NJ homes, I see a garage as a must! Everybody has some junk they need to keep out of sight!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:05 PM

248 posts, read 747,608 times
Not much snow here, but the garage is the 'southern porch' around here.

Also keep in mind that fewer homes have basements here than up north. I'm from the DC suburbs and it's hard to find basements here in Charlotte. Most homes are built on slabs.

Personally, I couldn't imagine going w/o a garage - it's very useful. The summers do get very hot here, so it's nice to keep the car protected (I actually do use my garage to harbor my car!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte