U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,887 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking on here for awhile now and finally have a few questions for the forum.

Understanding of course that the economy is down and home buyers are harder to find.

At what point do you look to change your agent?

Is there a timeframe?

Can we do it just for a "change of scenery"?

Is there protocall or etiquette?

We don't know how any other agents work so maybe just trying something new would work?

Not looking to hurt anyone's feelings and it's nothing personal but just feel that a change would be good. It sure as heck can't be any worse can it?

(as far as not selling yet. house on market for about 7 months now)

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
You can't change unmtil your contract is up, if your agent wants to fight it. Most will let you out of a contract if you're nice about it. And after 7 months, I guess your contract has already expired?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 AM

4 posts, read 6,887 times
I think it goes for a maybe a month or 2 more.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 AM

115 posts, read 522,384 times
Etiquette would be to inform the agent that you will not be renewing the lease with them. Sometimes this will light a 30-60 day fire under their butt and they'll have a few more open houses or broker tours. In the time that it takes for the lease to expire, research another agents...referrals are best if you know someone who can recommend one.

Outside of that - asking to terminate immediately is always an option, though the managing broker of the agents office has to approve it, which is unlikely though a possibility.

Good luck....

Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,221,122 times
Most agents that I know including myself don't want to be in a business relationship with a client that has no desire to work with us. Same goes for myself visa versa. I've decided not to work with many over the years based of certain things.

That being said as already posted above some agents/brokers (I've seen it happen) will refuse to terminate a contract before it ends for any reason.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 AM

58 posts, read 123,336 times
I had to do this from a buyers perspective. I felt bad, but i was between a rock and a hard place. My wife wanted a new agent. The lady was nice, but her focus was on South Charlotte and ours was closer to uptown, Eliz, Plaza Midwood, etc..She didint know the area very well.

I basically had to call her up and fire her. She cried. I felt like crap. We got something signed by her releaseing us from our contract as a buyers agent.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,221,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bonze View Post
I had to do this from a buyers perspective. I felt bad, but i was between a rock and a hard place. My wife wanted a new agent. The lady was nice, but her focus was on South Charlotte and ours was closer to uptown, Eliz, Plaza Midwood, etc..She didint know the area very well.

I basically had to call her up and fire her. She cried. I felt like crap. We got something signed by her releaseing us from our contract as a buyers agent.

That's a great example, thanks for posting.

A good agent that has a buyer looking in an area that they are unfamiliar with would refer it out. Or at least tell the buyer client this and let them decide.

In most cases, at least in my experience the client wants to work with you regardless and it actually can become kind of fun exploring an unknown area are learning about it with the client.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 AM

58 posts, read 123,336 times
it was a last resort. We were under a lot of stress, and had a bad case of sticker shock. Our plans were completely blown apart, as far as where we thought we could/wanted to live and how much we were going to spend. We ended up spending 60% more than i had hoped.

Our new realtor was closer to our age group and had similar interests and knew the areas that would appeal to us. She also talked me down off the ledge when we couldnt find what we wanted in our price range.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,016,830 times
Sometimes, for all parties, it is best to find another agent. There is nothing wrong w/ politely telling your agent that you feel it would be in your best interests to see what other agents (and agencies, as well) may have to offer.

This can be done in a professional manner, and doesn't have to be anything nasty or mean-spirited. I would take that approach - very matter of fact - thank you for your service, but we feel we need a change, and leave it at that. If your agent starts into this "what did I do wrong?" conversation - just say - "we just feel we need a change" - and leave it at that.

If the agent gets insulted - OH WELL. It is your money and your longterm planning at stake. You are the boss.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:40 AM

324 posts, read 652,967 times
I had the same problem when selling my house in Mooresville. I used an agent from a local mommies group I belonged too. I felt I couldn't "fire" her because of us belonging to the group. So I stuck it out and did what I could to make things better from my end and making suggestions to her. In the end when I did have a buyer, boy did she screw things up royally, costing me alot of money! I ended up "firing" her about a week or two before the closing and used her broker owner to finish the deal for me while the original agent could still get her commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte