U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,085 times

Advertisements

I moved to charlotte in July 2006. I have worked in the Medical field for 15 years in the clerical area. I have been applying at the Carolina Medical Center and have not recieved any call backs. I am finding it to be very challenging to find a decent job here in Charlotte. I have also applied with the CMS school system, the City of Charlotte and the Department of Social Service. I am very qualified for the positions but still no call backs. Can anyone tell me how to get a job in the Carolina Medical Center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,286,347 times
I've heard a lot of very mixed success stories with qualified northerners coming down to NC and having a difficult time finding work. My brother in law's sister moved from NJ to down here. No matter how hard she tried, she wasn't able to work a day in the year and a half/two years she was here. Someone else and her son had moved from NJ to down here. Both had an extremely difficult time finding anything. Someone I know came down here from NJ back in November. It's March and while he had three shots at jobs back in New Jersey with extremely little effort, he's had an insanely difficult time receiving a call back even for a retail job (and he's had a little over 16 years in managing retail up north).

Now it could very well be the amount of people from the north who are applying for the same jobs (people do find them). I've also heard that it kinda goes a little deeper than just the amount of people applying. Let's just say that the biggest mistake you might be making is coming down here saying, "I'll have no problem in finding a job". If you're from anywhere above, say, Virginia, you may have an extra added issue to deal with.

I wish I knew what to tell you other than good luck with finding something.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,789,924 times
dont loose hope, we are from NJ my dh is in IT and hasnt had a problem he unfortuantley had to turn down 2 offers as the timing just wasnt right for us and he is being flown out for 2 job interviews next week keep the faith You will find something and find a good headhunter.....and start networking that too is a very big key....find company's in your field and just start calling....Good Luck to you!!!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:39 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,170,243 times
It seems like it's pretty difficult to get a call from CMC unless you are a RN. I guess the key with them is to be persistent...there are a whoooooooooooooole bunch of people who work there, so they must have called those folks eventually, lol...I guess patience is a virtue as far as that goes.

And as far as CMS goes, if you're applying for teaching positions, maybe you could email the principal, just to get your name out there...it's just an idea. Also, another key word with CMS is networking...at least for me.

I've applied for positions within both of those systems and I had more luck with CMS than CMC...best of luck trying to get a job!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:29 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,116,273 times
When you've lived here a year, you will be considered a resident and will qualify for resident tuition. My advice to you is enroll in a community college and enhance your skills. Clerical workers are a dime a dozen; in healthcare, employers such as Carolinas Healthcare want medical assistants (patient care techs) for employment in their physician practices, particularly if they are certified, because MAs can do both front and back office work. CPCC has an excellent program, as does Mitchell Community College. Rowan-Cabarrus Community College offers Medical Office Administration. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or