U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:58 PM

232 posts, read 689,533 times

Advertisements

Look, the bottom line is that, as far as violence goes, you should be more concerned with the usual types of opportunistic crime and to some degree, gangs. If you've ever lived in a city of any size, then you already know not to go to certain places at certain times. It's the same everywhere, to varying degrees. I can't speak for the other large NC cities, but Raleigh was really very safe when I lived there... relatively speaking. As far as the KKK goes, their bark is worse than their bite. They do everyone a disservice by clouding issues that genuinely need to be discussed and resolved.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,422,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Hey, kmway, what's the scoop on the Anna Crowley's story?
Sorry, missed that one somehow.....and doesn't ring a bell.
Can you fill me in?
Thank's
Yeah, as Sunny said, it is the one that is a few posts up (the long one). It was also aired on WCNC in May. May is sweeps, or "the book" as it's known in the biz. May and November are the biggest books of the year and the most sensationalized stories are run at this time in an effort to increase ratings. I have found that these stories are the poorest in regard to substance. This story is one of them. The story even states that the FBI has not seen an increase in KKK activity toward illegals here in Charlotte, and only cites one incident in another state as it's only evidence. Disgusting journalism.

I believe it aired before the ground breaking piece of journalism WCNC ran that same month: which is better, Circuit City or Best Buy?
Sad, sad, sad.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:19 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,686,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
In Ft Bragg a few years ago, there were several swatikas painted on barracks room doors of black soldiers. It was later found out that another black soldier had painted the swastikas.
And, of course, I assume everyone here knows, that swastikas were given a bad rep by the nazi's, and is, in all actuality, a harmless religious symbol !
Same thing, what happened to the rebel flag being abused by the KKK.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 PM

473 posts, read 1,451,811 times
Red face Kkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
Perhaps I need a map or something, but I thought we were here on the CHARLOTTE, NC forum? If we're talking about other areas of NC or the South, than those posts should be put elsewhere on these boards....
Lisa, the KKK is here in Charlotte or Mecklenburg County, NC, whether you want to believe it or not. Kind of like illegal drugs, they are here whether we see them or not. The originator of this thread also wanted to know about surrounding areas and the KKK. I can post generalities on this forum as long as it applies to Charlotte and the surrounding areas, which it does. You are obviously unaware of what goes on in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, NC. Perform some research and find out. I did and I currently know what their platform is now. Have you ever looked into any of it?

Let me be clear, I am not into the KKK or any other hate group. But because I was making statements on this forum, I decided to back them up. I stand by every statement that I have made on this board and I have research to back it up. If you want the research, just send me a pm and I will be more than happy to provide it. I honestly think you would be surprised if you took a moment to inform yourself...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 17,222 times
Default Kkk

These maps may also be helpful.

Groups in NC:
SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map

Groups in SC:

Old 06-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknaxx View Post
Lisa, the KKK is here in Charlotte or Mecklenburg County, NC, whether you want to believe it or not.
You are right about that. The three largest Klan klaverns local to Charlotte are are the Cleveland Knights of the KKK (North of Charlotte) the Griffin Knights of the KKK which is in Mount Holly (just West of Charlotte), and the Carolina Knights of the KKK (North Charlotte). There is also apparently a group out towards Matthews (East) but I couldn't find any information on them. So, Charlotte really is surrounded by Klan. Although you probably won't see any signs of them in your South Park or Lake Norman suburban neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,273,395 times
My wife and I were at the Coca Cola 600 last Sunday. We got there early and we were at the corner of Speedway Blvd and 29 walking up a bit. There were a couple of scalpers, one white and one black, both asking if anyone needed tickets. All of a sudden she turns to me and goes, "Did you hear that?" Apparently one of the people turned to the black guy, in a really crowded area mind you, and said, "We need tickets, we don't need ni**ers". I didn't hear it but apparently it was loud enough for her and others to hear it. Seemed like nothing was said to the guy who uttered the comment.

I'm going to show this thread to my buddy who has posted here before. I know he can relate at least one story of racial bias against blacks being put on display. It's definitely more out in the open down here than it ever was up north.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
My wife and I were at the Coca Cola 600 last Sunday. We got there early and we were at the corner of Speedway Blvd and 29 walking up a bit. There were a couple of scalpers, one white and one black, both asking if anyone needed tickets. All of a sudden she turns to me and goes, "Did you hear that?" Apparently one of the people turned to the black guy, in a really crowded area mind you, and said, "We need tickets, we don't need ni**ers". I didn't hear it but apparently it was loud enough for her and others to hear it. Seemed like nothing was said to the guy who uttered the comment.

I'm going to show this thread to my buddy who has posted here before. I know he can relate at least one story of racial bias against blacks being put on display. It's definitely more out in the open down here than it ever was up north.
Oh yeah, you hear it all the time in casual conversation. Not in conversation with Charlotte transplants or in mixed company, but go sit at a local bar outside the city and you'll hear it a few times.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 PM

232 posts, read 689,533 times
Default Seasoning and Reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett88 View Post
These maps may also be helpful.

Groups in NC:

Groups in SC:
FYI: Anything from the Southern Poverty Law Center should probably be taken with a grain of salt... preferably with the entire contents of the salt shaker. The SPLC's position on a lot of issues is rather extreme. By their standards, the NRA might be considered a hate group. I wouldn't go as far as saying that their heads are firmly impacted in a certain orifice, but I would urge everyone to use their own judgement. 'Nuff said.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM

174 posts, read 146,511 times
I'd rather have racists wear their opinions on their sleeve as some do in the South than deal with the covert and institutionalized racism (such as in school districting) that I've observed in other parts of he country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte