Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:06 PM

95 posts, read 384,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Look, the bottom line is that, as far as violence goes, you should be more concerned with the usual types of opportunistic crime and to some degree, gangs. If you've ever lived in a city of any size, then you already know not to go to certain places at certain times. It's the same everywhere, to varying degrees. I can't speak for the other large NC cities, but Raleigh was really very safe when I lived there... relatively speaking. As far as the KKK goes, their bark is worse than their bite. They do everyone a disservice by clouding issues that genuinely need to be discussed and resolved.
'Like a Lake Wylie park in the middle of the day in broad daylight (MS13 fatal shooting) or interstate exit ramp downtown (execution style killing) or own/work at a gas station in Fort Mill/Rock hill (dead and dead). None of these are first hand but are of recent memory and I have visited the park in Lake Wylie (soccer mom raped here as well while small kid(s) in car) and I have been to the gas station in Fort Mill. I used to go to a SubStation II for sandwiches (cop killed here when it was a gas station) which was bought out and changed to "Latin Grocery store" (co-owner's wife robbed and killed in driveway after being followed home).

First hand - Friend in high school stabbed and paralized at McDonalds while taking out the trash. Oh, and my brother found a body dumped by the golf course nearby. Friends cars stolen. Friends neighbors robbed at gunpoint while packing the car for vacation (gunman killed)...and on and on...

It's not the rednecks you need to look over your shoulder for.

Last edited by Carolina-Trader; 06-05-2007 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM

174 posts, read 195,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Trader View Post
'Like a Lake Wylie park in the middle of the day in broad daylight (MS13 fatal shooting) or interstate exit ramp downtown (execution style killing) or own/work at a gas station if Fort Mill/Rock hill (dead and dead). None of these are first hand but are of recent memory and I have visited the park in Lake Wylie (soccer mom raped here as well while small kid(s) in car) and I have been to the gas station in Fort Mill. I used to go to a SubStation II for sandwiches (cop killed here when it was a gas station).

First hand - Friend in high school stabbed and paralized at McDonalds while taking out the trash. Oh, and my brother found a body dumped by the golf course nearby. Friends cars stolen. Friends neighbors robbed at gunpoint while packing the car for vacation (gunman killed)...and on and on...

Great post. The KKK is harmless. You need to watch out for thugs and illegals.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:13 AM

198 posts, read 908,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon617 View Post
In traveling in the southern states to Charlotte,I have seen what appears to be large crosses in the ground.Is that KKK related? Also ,I have seen confederate flags in north and south carolina.There are still small minded and uneducated people in these areas. I don't understand this because there are many black people in the area.

I am in Indiana, home of KKK and there are just as many confederate flags and racists- perhaps more than in the south. When we see flags, etc in the south it is different ...blatant symbols and representation from the past. Here in the north the racism is different. More subtle...denied loan applications, job firings..the EEOC has cases miles long. I would surely say there is nothing to worry about, as I've been here but I 've always lived in cities and suburban areas and the racists are usually in country/rural areas. There have been rallies on tv, etc during my Indiana stay and everyone just ignores them as uneducated people who are excercising their right to babble about something.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM

60 posts, read 322,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon617 View Post
In traveling in the southern states to Charlotte,I have seen what appears to be large crosses in the ground.Is that KKK related? Also ,I have seen confederate flags in north and south carolina.There are still small minded and uneducated people in these areas. I don't understand this because there are many black people in the area.
My God, if this stuff bothers you stay out of the South. Christians look to the cross as a sign of Jesus's crucifiction. It's a symbol of his sacrifice. There are lots of evangelical Christians in the South, and as such, you will see crosses.

There are also lots of rednecks that like confederate flags. While the Klan used to use as a symbol of racism, it's mostly just a symbol of the rednecks and whatever they stand for. Don't worry too much about it. I see the confederate flag in Jersey as well.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,071,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Trader View Post
'Like a Lake Wylie park in the middle of the day in broad daylight (MS13 fatal shooting) or interstate exit ramp downtown (execution style killing) or own/work at a gas station in Fort Mill/Rock hill (dead and dead). None of these are first hand but are of recent memory and I have visited the park in Lake Wylie (soccer mom raped here as well while small kid(s) in car) and I have been to the gas station in Fort Mill. I used to go to a SubStation II for sandwiches (cop killed here when it was a gas station) which was bought out and changed to "Latin Grocery store" (co-owner's wife robbed and killed in driveway after being followed home).

Completely agree. People really should worry about 'everyday' crime rather than the KKK. Sorry, have not heard of that group causing much concern around here.

WBTV and WCNC did a special news broadcast a month or so ago on the KKK and local Nazi groups in the area. The whole time the reporter continued to say that "these wierdos are few in number" or that the FBI "is not overly concerned about the groups". I thought then why do a news report on it if its not much of anything? Id rather a special report be done on MS13 and other gangs, maybe because it wasnt very PC.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 39,562 times
Charlotte is a northern City stuck in the middle of the south. 9/10 people you meet will be from "NYC, Buffalo, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc." they wouldn't stand for that ****.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 PM

473 posts, read 1,573,529 times
Red face Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett88 View Post
You are right about that. The three largest Klan klaverns local to Charlotte are are the Cleveland Knights of the KKK (North of Charlotte) the Griffin Knights of the KKK which is in Mount Holly (just West of Charlotte), and the Carolina Knights of the KKK (North Charlotte). There is also apparently a group out towards Matthews (East) but I couldn't find any information on them. So, Charlotte really is surrounded by Klan. Although you probably won't see any signs of them in your South Park or Lake Norman suburban neighborhood.
Thank you, Barrett88. I did the research to find out about the KKK and their platform, not because I’m racist but I’m new to this area and it has had a reputation of being a KKK hotbed for many years, like most parts of NC. I doubt you will see the KKK openly and brazenly like I understand they used to be, but they are here. Some don’t seem to want to believe it but they are here in Charlotte, NC. And if Charlotte, NC has chapters surrounding it, how are members not in Charlotte? How do they not walk, work, and eat beside us if chapters are in the surrounding counties, with Charlotte being the major city in the area?

I believe people need to educate themselves about areas that they are new in or thinking about moving to, or else they might not appreciate what they find. Although I’ve lived in NC for many years and different areas, I looked into it because what I was posting on this board and I thought the info could be outdated. I stand by anything and everything that I have ever posted, and can provide documentation to back it up. I can even provide documentation about activity in the past few years, including Charlotte, NC and other major cities in NC. I would hate this thread to be shut down like the last one I made a post about the KKK on…

Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,895,601 times
I respectfully disagree about the relevance of this group.

They are everywhere in America but this is not 1953 and they are not running around in white hoods, terrorizing people outside of the Williams-Sonoma or TGI Fridays.

They are, these days, relegated to meeting in people's basements in the sticks, whining loudly with their racist rants. For the rest of us normal people they are irrelevant and invisible.

And threads like this further cement the stereotype of Charlotte as a backward, redneck, KKK-ridden place which we are NOT. I, for one, am SICK TO DEATH of that stereotype.

Last edited by kmway; 06-11-2007 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,522,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I respectfully disagree about the relevance of this group.

They are everywhere in America but this is not 1953 and they are not running around in white hoods, terrorizing people outside of the Williams-Sonoma or TGI Fridays.

They are, these days, relegated to meeting in people's basements in the sticks, whining loudly with their racist rants. For the rest of us normal people they are irrelevant and invisible.

And threads like this further cement the stereotype of Charlotte as a backward, redneck, KKK-ridden place which we are NOT. I, for one, am SICK TO DEATH of that stereotype.
Mentioning the KKK is one of those things used to conjure up fear,anger, and all sorts of harsh memories. However, they seem to be compartmentalized to just that...memories of what they used to do. They don't have the power base anymore (meaning elected officials, judges, etc.). They're ineffective and don't have any power at all.

I don't know why anyone would pick up the KKK topic and be overly concerned about it.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:31 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,064,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Mentioning the KKK is one of those things used to conjure up fear,anger, and all sorts of harsh memories. However, they seem to be compartmentalized to just that...memories of what they used to do. They don't have the power base anymore (meaning elected officials, judges, etc.). They're ineffective and don't have any power at all.

I don't know why anyone would pick up the KKK topic and be overly concerned about it.
As stated previously, while I feel comfortable in Charlotte and the surrounding area, I have to respectfully disagree that the KKK is a non-issue. For me, and many, many others close to me (and not so close), the concern is not just going to go away. It's not that simple and it's not just a part of an ugly past that we hope will disappear. It's a part of our reality. I wish we could be as non-chalant about the KKK and the damage incurred, mentally, physically and otherwise. But for some people, it's a reality we're forced to confront. Simply put, there are people in this world who not only dislike me for what I look like, but who will inflict harm on me. And it's my job to remain aware of the potential danger presented to me, and my family. Denying the existence of such danger only puts us further into harm's way. I won't cite specific incidents that support our continued fear (and it's not because I can't, it's because my post is not meant to be inflammatory) but please, consider it from another perspective. There are places today my great-grandparents and grandparents will not visit because we know the ugly nature of people is not merely a part of some oh-so-distant past. Try telling them to let go of those memories. And while I have to be OK with other people letting go and forgetting, I simply don't have that same luxury. So please respect that ...

SL

Last edited by saralee; 06-11-2007 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte