Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Opinions on ramifications to Charlotte if banks were nationalized, Bank of America, Citi bank, low stock prices, preferred stock, Charlotte economy

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times

Advertisements

Just sitting here and the National News is on and they are discussing this.

I am wondering what (if anything) you all think this means for Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:39 PM

284 posts, read 605,850 times
I think there is almost zero chance B of A or Citi will be nationalized, for many reasons. In terms of what it would mean for Charlotte - I'm not sure if would make a big difference in terms of layoffs, etc which would happen either way. Where it would make a difference is the enormous dissolution of value for shareholders - and many employees and ex-employees, not to mention others in the community are B of A shareholders. Nationalization would wipe out much of the value that's left. The Obama administration said last week that they don't see nationalization as likely. I would agree since a bank the size and scope of a B of A or Citi would be impossible for the government to manage. IMO, the government can't manage the simplest things, let alone manage a bank's assets. And nationalization is way too politically risky for those in office.

Just my opinion, but I strongly believe that buying Citi at 2 bucks a share or B of A at 3.00 a share is a steal. 10 years from now when things have been "normal" again with the banks for several years, people will wonder why they didn't jump in at these prices. I don't work for the bank and not trying to sway anyone, but buying at these prices (for the long term) is something I am considering.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
Just my opinion, but I strongly believe that buying Citi at 2 bucks a share or B of A at 3.00 a share is a steal. .
Many thought BofA at 15 was a steal....

Have you ever heard of the phrase "don't catch a falling knife"?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I believe this would involve convertible preferred stock . . . wh/ would put the government in the position of being the largest equity holder in BofA. . . and present stockholders in a subordinate position.

But I sure am no expert - just what I have ascertained and so I could be off base.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Hell, as much money as we've been throwing at them, they might as well be. And it doesn't look like the government will stop with the capital infusions anytime soon, although they don't seem to be working.

Really, the government should have just let them fail. It would have been painful and ugly in the short-term, but we'd be better off in the long-term.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:56 PM

79 posts, read 234,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
I think there is almost zero chance B of A or Citi will be nationalized, for many reasons. In terms of what it would mean for Charlotte - I'm not sure if would make a big difference in terms of layoffs, etc which would happen either way. Where it would make a difference is the enormous dissolution of value for shareholders - and many employees and ex-employees, not to mention others in the community are B of A shareholders. Nationalization would wipe out much of the value that's left. The Obama administration said last week that they don't see nationalization as likely. I would agree since a bank the size and scope of a B of A or Citi would be impossible for the government to manage. IMO, the government can't manage the simplest things, let alone manage a bank's assets. And nationalization is way too politically risky for those in office.

Just my opinion, but I strongly believe that buying Citi at 2 bucks a share or B of A at 3.00 a share is a steal. 10 years from now when things have been "normal" again with the banks for several years, people will wonder why they didn't jump in at these prices. I don't work for the bank and not trying to sway anyone, but buying at these prices (for the long term) is something I am considering.
Sorry but I've got to disagree, nationalization is almost definitely going to happen. What's up in the air is exactly what "nationalization" is going to look like. Rest assured the gov't. is going to wipe out the remaining shareholder equity, and probably force some changes in upper management. The gov't is going to conduct stress tests in the next 2-3 weeks and once they have that info, then they will take action. Not to be doom and gloom, but that's just how it is shaping up. The effect on Charlotte could be severe if BofA is in the gov't crosshairs (which everyone agrees it is). Beginning with upper management shakeup, many of them live in Charlotte, the local economy will take another hit. Next, with the dissolution in shareholder value, the local economy will decline further still.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 AM

494 posts, read 1,348,879 times
This would be a nightmare for everything that our country has always stood for and this would send the entire country into a deep, deep depression. However, this morning it looks like the new Administration is headed towards Nationalization...not good news.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
I am really thinking that there isn't a choice in the matter. We'll see how it pans out...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 AM

284 posts, read 605,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacott steel View Post
Sorry but I've got to disagree, nationalization is almost definitely going to happen. What's up in the air is exactly what "nationalization" is going to look like. Rest assured the gov't. is going to wipe out the remaining shareholder equity, and probably force some changes in upper management. The gov't is going to conduct stress tests in the next 2-3 weeks and once they have that info, then they will take action. Not to be doom and gloom, but that's just how it is shaping up. The effect on Charlotte could be severe if BofA is in the gov't crosshairs (which everyone agrees it is). Beginning with upper management shakeup, many of them live in Charlotte, the local economy will take another hit. Next, with the dissolution in shareholder value, the local economy will decline further still.
I should clarify that by "nationalization" I meant a complete government takeover, essentially wiping out shareholders of common stock. There are varying degrees of nationalization, but when I said I don't believe there is a chance of it happening, I meant complete takeover of Citi and B of A, specifically.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 AM

841 posts, read 1,431,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin2007 View Post
This would be a nightmare for everything that our country has always stood for and this would send the entire country into a deep, deep depression. However, this morning it looks like the new Administration is headed towards Nationalization...not good news.

If you are correct, then watch for the stock market to fall off of the table when it opens this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte