Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Physician moving to CLT but wondering!! What is the best place to live in? In general and why?
Charlotte 2 50.00%
San Antonio 0 0%
Austin 1 25.00%
Cleveland 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Dallas 1 25.00%
Atlanta 0 0%
Raleigh 0 0%
New York 0 0%
Chicago 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 PM

515 posts, read 1,036,309 times

Advertisements

The OP was asking if it was over rated...I agree, most of the minuses are due to poor management of growth. But that's easy to fix, stop issuing permits and/or make the builders do some infrastructure work upfront, before they start the development....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 PM

92 posts, read 279,837 times
Wink Thanks, for the very informative and encouraging post

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
Sooma,
Here is my two cents worth. We had several options when it came to re-locating a couple of years ago and we chose the Charlotte area for a couple of reasons. First, it's cheap....lets just get that out there. Compared to Seattle (where I'm from) it was about 1/4 the cost of living in comparison and we came here with the same salary. Second, the schools are really great where we are. Our kids HAD to attend private school in our previous state because they just weren't good. Mind you....you need to do some school homework to figure out what's important to you but that's easy. Third, we love southerners. We have lived all over the place and have never been made to feel as welcome as we have since we moved here. We had the opportunity to move back to Seattle last fall and we turned it down flat because the pace and quality of life simply can't be matched. What did we give up? Mountains close by (I mean real mountains) and our family. But it was worth it. We have been in Austin for extended periods of time as well. If I were re-locating there, I would probably choose Round Rock and commute in on the tollway. San Antonio would be my choice over Austin. However, the property taxes there are much higher than here in NC. But the lack of an income tax would more than make up for it. The schools in Austin (curriculum wise) are not as strong as those here in Union or Meck counties. I would also give a positive vote for the Clover schools in SC. The big difference between the hospital out here in UC versus the big ones in CLT is attitude and pace of life. Things are much more laid back out here. The big secret is that there really are a lot of highly educated, motivated residents in UC.....who just wanted to be away from the city. Cleveland? That wouldn't make my list ever Good luck with your decision.

Thanks, for the very informative and encouraging post

Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnnie911 View Post
I am a single mother of three looking to relocate to Charlotte,but my nervousness causes me to have some doubts. I am wanting to know what this city has to offer outside of the poverty of single parents that so many other cities offer. I am coming from Indianapolis. I have been there in Charlotte in August and loved the visit but a visit is much further off from living there. Help!!! Im very confused as well as apprehensive in the uprooting of my children without good sound advise and options. I will not have a strong support system while in the city so is it single parent friendly such as program,events,& assistance? Is there job growth, if so in what area? Whats the economy like, crime, activities, schools & colleges?????
What kind of job would you be looking for?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Out of your top two cities, Charlotte and San Antonio I would pick San Antonio for a host of reasons, some personal but others not so much.

I lived in San Antonio when I was younger and I recently returned to visit, it is a growing and vibrant city with a rich history and culture.
The food is fantastic, the highway systems are well laid out and the economy is doing very well.
Taxes are low (no state income tax in Texas) And there is a host of things to do there, the place will never be accused of being boring.

Don't know much about the job market though but I would be willing to bet it's not too bad.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Out of your top two cities, Charlotte and San Antonio I would pick San Antonio for a host of reasons, some personal but others not so much.

I lived in San Antonio when I was younger and I recently returned to visit, it is a growing and vibrant city with a rich history and culture.
The food is fantastic, the highway systems are well laid out and the economy is doing very well.
Taxes are low (no state income tax in Texas) And there is a host of things to do there, the place will never be accused of being boring.

Don't know much about the job market though but I would be willing to bet it's not too bad.
There are endless things to do in San Antonio, one will never get "bored"...yeah right. Isn't this thread old as dirt?

Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
There are endless things to do in San Antonio, one will never get "bored"...yeah right. Isn't this thread old as dirt?

Yes, your right it is. I did not notice lovesMountains had brought it back to life.

Anyways, if you have never been to San Antonio you don't know what you're missing.
I only lived there for about three years compared to the fifteen years I've been in Charlotte but visiting there again last year was almost like going home.....and I'm from Upstate NY. LOL

Old 09-20-2012, 02:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,346 times
How do you vote on this ballot?

Old 09-20-2012, 02:33 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,602,543 times
Yes.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Yes, your right it is. I did not notice lovesMountains had brought it back to life.

Anyways, if you have never been to San Antonio you don't know what you're missing.
I only lived there for about three years compared to the fifteen years I've been in Charlotte but visiting there again last year was almost like going home.....and I'm from Upstate NY. LOL
Oh, been there a ton for work, etc....it's nice, but I prefer Charlotte for a number of reasons. It's more touristy than Charlotte but as far as day-to-day living, no different than anywhere else.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
How do you vote on this ballot?
I think voting is closed since the thread is old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte