U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM

40 posts, read 123,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Almost everyone had a police scanner where I grew up and listened to them nightly. A couple times my parents already knew if I was in trouble before the police brought me home.
My town too
Not that i was in trouble alot but I had my fair share of times where my parents knew what I did before I made it home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 04:20 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,195,308 times
We had a similar experience. My buddy's mom and dad were both volunteer rescue squad folks, so they ran scanners 24/7 in their house.

One time my buddy and I were stopped for an ID check as we encountered an LEO behind a local shopping center. (We weren't doing anything wrong; I guess in the law's eye's, we had no business being behind the stores. )

Anyway, when we got home to my buddy's house, his little brother was at the front door announcing to all: "they're home Dad".

Then the twenty questions began.

Of course this is the same buddy who I was with when we went 4 wheeling in some local woods and we came across a huge clearing with a strange, unmarked asphalt "road" running down the middle of it. We turned onto the "road" and were driving along UNTIL I recognized where we were. It seems we found the runway of the county airport!!! We immediately turned around and headed back into the woods. Phew! Can you imagine that one coming over the scanner at his house?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:42 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,071,063 times
If we were able to get a car near where the keg party was that weekend, we would turn up the scanner nice and loud and got plenty of warning if a bust was imminent.

Also had friends who would use them to evade police on backroads. Those rednecks also had their brake/rear lights set up to where they could toggle them on and off.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:34 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,770,351 times
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I wanted to ask you all something, that is if any of the old posters read it, haha:

Live Police, Fire, EMS, Aircraft, and Rail Scanners on RadioReference.com

That is probably the best site out there to listen to live audio without buying a scanner.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:49 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,579,513 times
Thanks for the link, wish I could get feed from Gaston County...

Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,770,351 times
Would a police scanner with 800Mhz that costs between $80-$150 be a good buy or would I be purchasing something that would be considered 3rd rate? I have been thinking about getting one so I can tune into the many radio frequencies listed on radioreference.com that do not have live audio.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:03 PM

189 posts, read 329,332 times
My dad always knew what was going on because he was the police chief in the area where I grew up. (No, I didn't date much. ) Unfortunately, most of the jurisdictions have gone to encrypted, as they've been able to go "on code" for a long time for the sensitive stuff. You're not going to be able to buy one of those without being in law enforcement acquisitions.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
A friend who is a MEDIC supervisor got me to listening to their feed. One evening I was getting ready to leave my house, and heard what was obviously a car crash, within a couple blocks. I already had the feed running in my home office and heard the dispatcher send a MEDIC unit to the wreck. I jumped in my car and headed towards the wreck and as I got there my phone rang. It was my friend at MEDIC making sure I wasn't part of the wreck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or