U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM

58 posts, read 123,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Okay, it's no secret, times are a little scary for many of us right now.

I thought it might be helpful to post a thread to share ideas on how to keep your spirits up when things around you are trying to drag them down.

For me personally, I have given up watching the evening news. It's amazing how much just doing that one thing has helped me

Saw this story in the Charlotte Observer and it made me smile - hope it will you too:

Gloom goes marching out at church | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/breaking/story/555180.html - broken link)

I quit watching the news on a regular basis a few years ago. It really depressed me. When this meltdown started, i was watching CNBC and CNN alot....had to quit that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:53 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,274,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
You're not kidding. There might be like 3 or 4 new threads a week that I care to open now. Everything else, I know I can't help on the subject or it's doom and gloome about the economy.

But...but..you have to or this winds up being you...

Beyond that, I'm starting to just ignore as much of it as I can and live my life. You can't magically turn this entire thing around, it's out of my control, and I'm not about to sit there worrying about whatever it is I can't control.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with tuning this crap out.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bonze View Post

I quit watching the news on a regular basis a few years ago. It really depressed me. When this meltdown started, i was watching CNBC and CNN alot....had to quit that
Good for you! It really has amazed me how much better I feel when I don't pay attention to the news.

I agree that getting outside is helpful too. I've been trying to walk every day for at least 30-40 minutes. After warming up I start by speed walking. That takes the stress right out of me by tiring me out Then I finish up at a more leisurely pace, I find this is REALLY helpful folks.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM

677 posts, read 2,013,747 times
Always better than this:

Which is what most of the political arguments end up being about on CD, IMO.

Which ever way, I know how things are affecting me and the rest of the country, I don't need to hear it 20 different ways from 400 different people.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,583,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

Beyond that, I'm starting to just ignore as much of it as I can and live my life. You can't magically turn this entire thing around, it's out of my control, and I'm not about to sit there worrying about whatever it is I can't control.

you could take several people out on long drives, that would help....no?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

HAHAHAHA - LOVE this pic Brian! Reminds me of that saying -

Mind over matter - if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
Always better than this:

Which is what most of the political arguments end up being about on CD, IMO.

Which ever way, I know how things are affecting me and the rest of the country, I don't need to hear it 20 different ways from 400 different people.
hahahaha - what a funny pic - and you are right...I'd rather have my head buried in the sand than, um, some OTHER place

Old 02-23-2009, 09:59 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
All we can do is deal with those things in our lives that are within our control.

We have to get past the feelings about the things we CANNOT do.

Fill our lives with friends; refuse to be isolated. There are plenty of things we can do with our friends that are no or low cost.

Gosh, when I was younger, we would get together w/ friends over pot luck suppers. No reason we can't still do those things.

There are free concerts out there. Even in small burgs - there are often free events at colleges and churches, especially music concerts. I remember when I was a student, I would find out when the music department at Lenoir-Rhyne was holding senior concerts - and just go listen. Nice break and free!

Start a book exchange with friends. Or frequent the library.

14,115 posts, read 20,823,929 times
LOL I love the pics..Yes people it sucks right now but the world is not going to end. Just live your lives as you normally would and just be smarter with money. You can't take it with you when you take a dirt nap. Life is too short to be sitting here freaking out about every little thing. Trust me, it can end like that or change drastically from one day to the other..

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,274,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
you could take several people out on long drives, that would help....no?

Nobody wants to go with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or